Misleading Information from Main Dealer

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
PabloK

Misleading Information from Main Dealer

Post by PabloK »

Has anyone else been told by the BMW dealer that the new 2020 R1250RT LE would have an LED headlight?  I ordered mine on that basis.  Delivered but no LED headlight.  When I queried this the sales staff checked their sales schedule for the new 1250 RT and it definitely said LED Headlight.  The manager contacted BMW Motorrad and they said it was an error and has been on the schedule since Jan 2019!!!!  I got a free 6000 mile service for my problems.  I believe this to be totally misleading information and am awaiting a reply from BMW having asked for compensation.
bandytales

Re: Misleading Information from Main Dealer

Post by bandytales »

I think they may be talking about the Angel Eyes Headlight (Headlight Pro).
Or the Auxiliary LED Headlight package (we used to call the foglights).
Last edited by bandytales on Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viking John
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by Viking John »

According to the "Bike Configurator" on the BMW Dealer Website it is the LE & SE models that have LED headlights, so I guess the configurator is wrong.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Viking John wrote: According to the "Bike Configurator" on the BMW Dealer Website it is the LE & SE models that have LED headlights, so I guess the configurator is wrong.

I think they are talking about the auxiliary headlights (foglights).
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

From BMW Motorrad, https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/model ... essive-one see under Safety.

LED Auxiliary Headlights

"The powerful LED auxiliary headlights in a compact aluminium housing guarantee that you can both see and be seen better even in fog, rain or snowfall. At the same time, they facilitate a differentiated illumination of the road and serve as a perfect addition to the main headlights with their white, daylight-like light colour. The LED technology ensures almost wear-free operation."
Last edited by David. on Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

PabloK wrote: I believe this to be totally misleading information and am awaiting a reply from BMW having asked for compensation.
That would make me furious if it was so important to me.

What compensation have you asked for?  Personally, the only thing the only sufficient compensation would be a K1600 with LED headlight.

Are you rejecting the compensation of a free 6,000 mile service?

Last edited by beemerboy9 on Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

bandytales

Post by bandytales »

beemerboy9 wrote: That would make me furious if it was so important to me.

What compensation have you asked for?  Personally, the only thing the only sufficient compensation would be a K1600 with LED headlight.

Are you rejecting the compensation of a free 6,000 mile service?

For goodness sake, what is up with you guys. The buyer hasn't necessarily been deceived, it sounds like cross wires.
Why always shouty sounds about compensation. Surely the buyer does his homework too. These bikes have never had LED headlights. The sales leaflet doesn't say the bike has LED Headlights, so surely no big deal? Does that make the incredible 1250 any less of a bike? (The answer is NO).
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The buyer may have chosen an RT thinking it had an adaptive LED headlight as a safety feature when not riding in daylight.
Last edited by David. on Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

That's because the GS 'is' the better bike  :P
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
wemi

Post by wemi »

Misleading, maybe. But one look at the front of the bike, before the purchase (!!), would have shown that the main headlight low beam is a plain H1/55W bulb, and the high beam headlights are plain Jane H7/55W bulbs. The "Angel Eyes" are LED, but they are not "Headlights". They are fluff or decor. In some countries where a headlights Off switch is available these can serve as DRLs. Not in the US, however.
Your Aux lights on the side ( Standard on ALL US model RTs) are, however, LED lights. They used to have a fog lens but now they have a clear lens and are listed as driving lights.

Also, just to clarify another post, The K1600 (thru 2020 anyway) DO NOT have LED headlights. They have an adaptive (Moving with the lean angle of the bike) Xenon headlight and the high beam lights are , just like the RTs, plain H7/55W bulbs.

The only current LED headlight bike in the larger displacement category is the R12XXGS. Now, starting in 2021 the R1250RT WILL receive complete LED lighting together with the new dashboard (TFT screen).
Former K1600B GA Owner
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

wemi wrote:
The only current LED headlight bike in the larger displacement category is the R12XXGS. Now, starting in 2021 the R1250RT WILL receive complete LED lighting together with the new dashboard (TFT screen).

Just goes to show how far advanced the GS is over the Fatty Pensioners RT choice  ;) 

The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Ed17
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Ed17 »

wemi wrote: But one look at the front of the bike, before the purchase (!!),would have shown that the main headlight low beam is a plain H1/55W bulb, and the high beam headlights are plain Jane H7/55W bulbs.
I think you mean that the low beam is an H7 and the high beam are two H1's ... the other way round thus...Ed.
..like pointing a finger away to the moon...don't concentrate on the finger!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

simbo wrote:
Just goes to show how far advanced the GS is over the Fatty Pensioners RT choice  ;)

It needs to be, to take all the adventure boys on their off road trips to Tescos :)
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Casbar wrote:
It needs to be, to take all the adventure boys on their off road trips to Tescos :)
:)) All the gear and................. :))