Fuel pump recall, part two.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

Those of us with hexhead bikes remember the “fuel flange “recall from a few years back.

The original problem was the composite flange at the quick disconnect coming out of the fuel pump assembly was flexing due to pressurization and depressurization of the system and developing cracks around the base. The fix in that last recall was to place a metal retainer ring over the flange to reinforce it and to eliminate or mitigate any cracks... or replace the fuel pump.

Well apparently that metal flange fix wasn’t good enough; in the mail today from BMW I got a recall letter saying if you had that recall done, they want to replace the fuel pump. Apparently there have been more reports of leaks and that metal flange didn’t solve the problem.

Also of note is the line “no remedy available yet “ - which means they either have to put a different style fuel pump assembly in, or they are building up enough parts up to send out to the dealers.
Last edited by rangemaster728 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rangemaster728

Re: Fuel pump recall, part two.

Post by rangemaster728 »

The original fuel pump assembly recall we dealt with years ago:

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5f8630608b7a4/RCRIT-13V617-4409.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

And the fuel pump recall that just came out.:

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5f8630cda520d/RCLRPT-20V471-1867.PDF
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

rangemaster728 wrote:The original problem was the composite flange at the quick disconnect coming out of the fuel pump assembly was flexing due to pressurization and depressurization of the system and developing cracks around the base.
rangemaster728 wrote:The fix in that last recall was to place a metal retainer ring over the flange to reinforce it and to eliminate or mitigate any cracks.
Humphrey1

Post by Humphrey1 »

My new to me 22005 RT developed a fuel leak soon as i got it. Apparently the fuel pump housing was cracked, took 5 weeks for a replacement, luckily under warranty.