Fixings for RH battery cover panel R1250RT

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Hors Piste

Fixings for RH battery cover panel R1250RT

Post by Hors Piste »

Whilst removing the 3 screws in order to remove the RH panel in order to gain access to the diagnostic connector (yes, my exhaust flap appears to have seized at 5700 miles) I found that the middle screw (the one above the cylinder) was difficult to remove.  When I finally got it out it appears to have been screwed into a rubber well bush, which seems to have been butchered when I had the annual service done a couple of months ago.  I've had this panel off before but I can't remember if the middle fixing was originally a rubber bush or, like the other 2 and all 3 on the LHS, whether it was fitted with a clip/cage nut.

Can anyone please confirm if the middle screw is supposed to be a rubber bush fitting or a clip fitting (I have put one of those on temporarily to hold the panel)?

Thanks
Cortina
Ireland

Re: Fixings for RH battery cover panel R1250RT

Post by Cortina »

3 screws one side , 2 screws and spud into rubber bush on other (at least it was on the LC 1200 , and I suspect you are the same )
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Graham88 »

The middle screw is longer and does indeed screw into a rubber bushing
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Thanks a lot guys - wondered why the M&P service was so cheap  :))
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

I had the same problem. Used a drill with a torx socket to get it back in. Ordered some replacements for when it came out next time.
R1250RT LE
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

My 3 screws are all the same length - another M&P "variation"? Wonder why BMW used a clip nut on the LHS and the rubber thingy on the right?

Speaking of which daverj, have you ordered these from BMW or have you found another source?

The good news (I hope) is that rather than wait another couple of weeks I decided to have a look at the exhaust flap myself - it turned quite easily by hand and when turning on the ignition I could see it moving, so I cleared the fault code and all appears to be well after a test ride....looks as though maybe it was a bit "sticky" and that threw up the code?  Clearly I must ride more....

I guess this is answered elsewhere but it's intriguing as to what it actually does - I'm guessing it varies with throttle opening to reduce noise?  Seems like a complicated solution to a non-existent problem?  Hard to see what other "emissions" it could affect but then what do I know?
Last edited by Hors Piste on Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daverj
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times
Great Britain

Post by daverj »

Hors Piste wrote: My 3 screws are all the same length - another M&P "variation"? Wonder why BMW used a clip nut on the LHS and the rubber thingy on the right?

Speaking of which daverj, have you ordered these from BMW or have you found another source?

The good news (I hope) is that rather than wait another couple of weeks I decided to have a look at the exhaust flap myself - it turned quite easily by hand and when turning on the ignition I could see it moving, so I cleared the fault code and all appears to be well after a test ride....looks as though maybe it was a bit "sticky" and that threw up the code?  Clearly I must ride more....

I guess this is answered elsewhere but it's intriguing as to what it actually does - I'm guessing it varies with throttle opening to reduce noise?  Seems like a complicated solution to a non-existent problem?  Hard to see what other "emissions" it could affect but then what do I know?
I ordered a complete set of replacement fixings online (probably E bay) ready for any losses or damaged threads etc.
R1250RT LE
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Thanks for the reply daverj.  With regard to the LH/RH question, one difference I see is that the clip nut can rotate on the plastic lug when tightening the screw - on the LHS it rotates "upwards" and so remains hidden behind the plastic, whereas on the RHS it rotates such that a part of it can be seen - wonder if that's the only reason?