Michelin Pilot Road 2

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Michelin Pilot Road 2

Post by David. »

With Dunlop Roadsmarts likely to be unavailable soon, I'll be looking for an alternative tyre in the future. Michelin PR2's are listed by BMW as one of six tyres for my 2012 Camhead. The rear PR2 should be a version code B which itself is now no longer produced. As a lightweight rider who usually rides solo without luggage, do I really need a beefed up rear tyre. By default, I've experienced using PR1's riding two up plus luggage without any problems. Likewise, the Dunlop Roadsmarts do not have a version code tyre for heavy weight bikes used two up with luggage. I like tyres, particularly the rear to have TWI's towards the centre of the tread pattern to monitor wear. This video clearly shows TWI's in good positions across the full width of both the F&R tyres, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTUefNG1Xoc I may contact Michelin for their advice. Meanwhile, has anyone here had experience of using PR2's on an RT. Any feedback & comments would be most welcome, thank you.

Pilot Road 2
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Michelin Pilot Road 2

Post by Graham88 »

Dare I suggest the Roadtec 01's? I fitted them to me 2011 RT and they were excellent, so much so that I also put them on my cbr600 with the same result. I was going to wait for the stock tyres to wear out on my 1250 but after 1500 miles I'm considering changing now.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Used Metzeler Z6's very successfully for many years until getting caught out with a rear going down to the cords without warning. Since then, have used the Dunlop Roadsmarts with a tread pattern & TWI's across the full width of the tyre. Unlike the Z6's which have a slick section in the centre of the rear, hence getting caught out.

I prefer tyres which are not heavily cut with grooves & sipes. My theory is that the more rubber in contact with the road the better. I predominantly ride in the dry and if wet, just adjust my riding style accordingly. All tyres work in the wet, some are just claimed to be better than others. Most new tyres are promoted for their wet grip, this isn't the major selling factor for me.

Roadtec Z6
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Graham88 wrote:I was going to wait for the stock tyres to wear out on my 1250 but after 1500 miles I'm considering changing now.
What are the stock tyres, Michelin PR4's or Metzeler Z8's.

Pilot Road 4

Roadtec Z8
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Graham88 »

PR4's, they work great in the dry but the Roadtecs are noticeably better in damp and wet conditions. Without checking I think they also have indicators close to the centre.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Graham88 wrote:Roadtecs are noticeably better in damp and wet conditions. Without checking I think they also have indicators close to the centre.
Roadtec 01

As posted above, wet grip is important but not the main priority for me.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

I changed my Metzeler on my 2018 model at 9000 mile , now have Road Pilot 4,s hope i get 9000 out of this set , as too handling i have had no problem in the wet with the road pilots , that said i don,t try to imitate Valentino Rossi .
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

I ran two back to back sets of Pilot Road 2 on my Hexhead. Hated them. I only fitted the second pair as there was a deal on at the time. I did get over 7000 miles from the first pair but they where really well shot and howled terribly at any slight lean angle. I notice that they are available at around £163 (plus fitting) now so that may be attractive to some. The Roadsmart 1, now sadly becoming hard to source is IMHO  a superior tyre in all respects although longevity maybe not quite as good. If you are looking for a premium but now superseded tyre I see that the Continental Road Attack 2 is available for £149 plus fitting at National Bike Tyres. I ran two sets of the Conti's after my Pilot Road 2's and loved them and the main reason for this is the lovely comfy ride. Mileage is not at the top of my list of tyre requirements but a nice compliant ride is especially when you take into consideration our horrendously poor road surfaces here in the UK. In fact I might just return to the Conti's when my present Bridgestone's are ready for replacement. (With a manufacture date of 2017 this will be based on age rather than remaining tread).
Last edited by Our Gee on Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The ContiRoad Attack 2 tread pattern is rather unusual.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:I've experienced using PR1's riding two up plus luggage without any problems.

Pilot Road 1
Last edited by David. on Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:I may contact Michelin for their advice.
Michelin will only recommend using the "GT" version of their current Pilot Road 4 or Road 5 tyres. Here are their replies to my emails posing the question in the OP.

"The recommended tyres for your machine are actually the GT version of the Pilot Road – these have been homologated for the German market specifically to meet the needs of a machine of this type."

"You are asking me to comment on a tyre that was launched in 2007 and how it will work on a 2012 bike. The bike wouldn’t have come with that tyre. That bike hasn’t been tested with that tyre. Whilst a service description is a legal requirement it doesn’t mean its suitable or recommended. I know people who run all sorts tyres on all kinds of machinery and swear by them but as the manufacturer we are only ever going to recommend what has been homologated for a specific machine. Can you fit Pilot Road 2 on a BMW R1200RT without issue? Quite probably. Am I going to recommend it to you? No."

Having used Pilot Road 1's without any problems, I might "quite probably" look at Pilot Road 2's. I am aware of a.n.other who has used the standard Pilot Road 4's, (not GT's) without any problems too.
Last edited by David. on Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Why not just do what most people do, and buy the 4 or 5 GTs?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Tyres are a personal choice. I don't like the tread pattern on the Pilot Road 4's or Road 5's. They are too fussy and probably over engineered for my needs. I ride the RT between April & October and don't deliberately go out in the wet. My theory is that I'd rather have more rubber on the road than a tyre which is heavily cut with grooves & sipes. Perhaps Michelin have some deal going with BMW to use their tyres. Currently, the only other tyre which a new RT would have as factory fit is the Metzeler Z8, where a version code is specific to the bike.

I also like retro looking things, hence riding around on an eight year old RT. My future tyre choice is likely to be either the Pilot Road 2 or the Metzeler Z8 with the correct version codes specific to an RT.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Well there's a first.  I've never seen a tread pattern described as 'Fussy' before  :))

Sounds like you're getting close to a decision.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Our Gee wrote:I ran two back to back sets of Pilot Road 2 on my Hexhead. I only fitted the second pair as there was a deal on at the time.
Did you use version code "B" on the rear, as recommended by Michelin.