BaseCamp for windows

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: BaseCamp for windows

Post by David. »

Thanks for the feedback. There doesn't seem to be any good valid reason to "risk" updating my current version of BC. In fact, it's probably best left alone, it's working ok.
If my PC crashes or I experience problems with BC, I'll look at it again then.

When speaking to Garmin, I asked what is the purpose of the update. They replied, "if I was experiencing problems using BC, they couldn't support my version anymore."

It sounds a bit like the Garmin Express updates, when Garmin release a new version of GE, how many times do they update it to get it to work right.
Last edited by David. on Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

I had 4.7.2 installed. I launched it, then went to help and it offered to install 4.7.3. I clicked the link to update and it updated without issue. I did not get a pop up or other notification that the update was available. I had to go to help and that's where I saw the update link to 4.7.3.
Steve
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Littlebriar wrote:I had 4.7.2 installed. I launched it, then went to help and it offered to install 4.7.3.
What PC operating system are you using, Windows, Mac or other.
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

David. wrote: What PC operating system are you using, Windows, Mac or other.
Windows 10
Steve
Kunkies

Post by Kunkies »

Windows or Mac, here's the link:  https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/basecamp/
-Bob
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

After previously trying to search for a 4.7.3 update on Garmin and the www with no joy I fired up basecamp this evening and got a pop up offering the update. Installed with no issues.

Windows10
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Recently when using BaseCamp, the monitor froze, requiring the PC to be shutdown & re-started. Plus, when loading up BaseCamp, it didn't always work first time.

Plucked up the courage to do something about it. Rang Garmin support who were incredibly helpful. The guy talked me through backing up BC, before un-installing Version 4.4.7 (had been installed in 2014),  then re-installing Version 4.7.3. I don't think even this new version is faultless and know someone else who experiences similar problems. At least I now know that it's BaseCamp which can be flaky, not my PC.
Last edited by David. on Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Rambler358 »

No issues on my PC, it’s been working good.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BaseCamp fired up ok today. Have started to have a go at using the "Trip Planner" feature, that's a challenge in itself. Once again, this caused problems with the PC locking up. Even Mr Garmin said, when using "Trip Planner", there is too much going on in the background which can cause problems. Will give that new to me feature a miss for the time being.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

David. wrote: BaseCamp fired up ok today. Have started to have a go at using the "Trip Planner" feature, that's a challenge in itself. Once again, this caused problems with the PC locking up. Even Mr Garmin said, when using "Trip Planner", there is too much going on in the background which can cause problems. Will give that new to me feature a miss for the time being.

Just tried that feature - I don't think that I will be using it either.
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

beemerboy9 wrote:Just tried that feature - I don't think that I will be using it either.
I know someone who has been very successful using the "Trip Planner" feature. He has created itineraries for our potential outward & return routes to the 2021 RT meet. They can be saved as a pdf and sent to others, I've now got a copy. I did struggle to use the feature, then found this video which helped, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j05LLfEUeI

I had a go and managed to create a day trip using the "Trip Planner". I can see it being very useful if you can get your head around it. My main issue is that for some reason, when using the feature, my PC crashes. I might contact Garmin again.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Since getting a new PC, have had another go and been successful at using BaseCamp "Trip Planner".

It's a useful tool for creating an itinerary, with riding times plus time taken at P&T stops, to see if what is planned is achievable in the day.

I've used my outward (Day 1) & return (Day 3) routes to the 2022 UK Annual meet for some practice and come up with the following.

Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaelc2710
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 22 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

I noticed on your day 3 return (but can't see it now) that it stated 23 minutes riding and 68 miles or something like that..... now that's some going are you riding Marcus's GS on the return trip  :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

michaelc2710 wrote:I noticed on your day 3 return that it stated 23 minutes riding and 69.2 miles.
The actual BaseCamp riding time for that section is 1 hour 28 minutes. I don't know why Trip Planner changes it to 23 minutes.
The important thing is that the end time is correct, which it is.

09:30 dep. Hereford, 10:58 arr. Raven Cafe.

Trip Planner takes the info. from here in BaseCamp.

Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

More interested in 2hr 45min of breaks on way home!!!!!    Have you fitted a tachograph?