Exhaust Flap Bowden cables R1250RT

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Exhaust Flap Bowden cables R1250RT

Post by Casbar »

High temp grease on the spindle, so end can off. I have been using Permatex Nickel anti seiz. But it will only help for a short while. Squeak normally means flap is on its way out and you will need new headers, so if I was you, I would get it sorted before your warranty runs out. If in warranty take to dealer and if they say its working but just squeaking, ask them if it is supposed to squeak from new. I had a set of headers replaced because of a squeaking flap two weeks before my warranty ran out.;
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Probably the best approach is to take the end can off, stuff a clean rag down the pipe to protect the CAT and squirt a little WD40 on the spindle. Leave it to soak in and then repeat. Also worth taking the cables off, or one at least and giving the valve a good work out until the squeak goes away. You can try a high temperature grease but you cannot really get to the bearing surfaces so not sure it really does very much. The problem with anything you use is its likely to get burnt off as that part of the system gets very hot. It's a very stupid system and should be done away with.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

PlusGas claims to "break the grip of carbon", might be useful in an exhaust system.

A graphite based penetrating oil may free off and lubricate the flap spindle.
sakm
Administrator
Bike Model and Year: 2016 R1200RT
Has liked: 450 times
Been liked: 392 times
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Coper slip has a working temp of -30°C to +1100°C

The trouble is getting it in to the flap!

I have had a few issues with mine

I tried to mix coper slip with solvents to thin it out and try and get it in to the flap but the copper slip would not mix well at all

In the end I mixed it with some diesel and it mixed really well then sucked it up in to a syringe so I can direct where its going

The result was that the copper particles where heavy enough to be left where they where needed and the diesel penetrated in to the flap pivots

I used a bit of heat to get mine moving freely first

It now moves very freely with no errors!

I will see how long it lasts and if I get fed up I will just remove it and bow the bypass plugin box you can get
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Excellent approach sakm. I have tried high temperature Permatex Nickel but it's getting it into the spindle bearing which is the problem hence the use of WD40 which penetrates well. Next time I will try your approach. Cheers.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Think bearing is a misnomer, there is no bearing, it is a spindle in a cup. Whilst in warranty, I will keep getting the headers replaced, out of warranty, servo buddy is getting bought :) The only bit I am unsure of, is if the engine waring light needs to be reset by a GS911 or if it goes off on its own, once the flap is freed off. Some say it does, other seem to indicate it has to be reset. Or trade the bike for a new one with another 3 year warranty of course :)
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Levisp wrote: Excellent approach sakm. I have tried high temperature Permatex Nickel but it's getting it into the spindle bearing which is the problem hence the use of WD40 which penetrates well. Next time I will try your approach. Cheers.

This is a first and last attempt for me!

If it doesn't work then its a servo buddy

£40 I think they are
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Casbar wrote: Think bearing is a misnomer, there is no bearing, it is a spindle in a cup. Whilst in warranty, I will keep getting the headers replaced, out of warranty, servo buddy is getting bought :) The only bit I am unsure of, is if the engine waring light needs to be reset by a GS911 or if it goes off on its own, once the flap is freed off. Some say it does, other seem to indicate it has to be reset. Or trade the bike for a new one with another 3 year warranty of course :)

There must be something in there to make a bearing! but without knowing what materials are used then its anyone's guess

Bearings could be in the shape of phosphorus bronze bearings or some sort of bush
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

To be fair I have only had the valve seize once on my bike and that's over 7 years and 50k. It's just a nuisance more than anything else. My KTM 890 Adventure does not have an exhaust valve so if they can do it maybe BMW should as well. But the way BMW is going it will probably be my last.
sakm
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by sakm »

Levisp wrote: To be fair I have only had the valve seize once on my bike and that's over 7 years and 50k. It's just a nuisance more than anything else. My KTM 890 Adventure does not have an exhaust valve so if they can do it maybe BMW should as well. But the way BMW is going it will probably be my last.

For all I know mine could have been like it when I got the bike!

I only picked it up in June with 14k on the clocks and the last two years its hardly been used

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

2014 bike two seized valves so two sets of headers in 30k. 2019 1250 seized valve, headers changed in April 7k. Two mates, 1250s a set of headers each. Two 2020 blood bikes! Set of headers each. Another mate on a 21 bike one set of headers already. Not a great bit of engineering. Oh and two 2020 1250s engine casings changed due to corrosion.  8)
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Casbar wrote: 2014 bike two seized valves so two sets of headers in 30k. 2019 1250 seized valve, headers changed in April 7k. Two mates, 1250s a set of headers each. Two 2020 blood bikes! Set of headers each. Another mate on a 21 bike one set of headers already. Not a great bit of engineering. Oh and two 2020 1250s engine casings changed due to corrosion.  8)

Bloody heck that's not a good record on a bike which is now heading towards £20k.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Levisp wrote:
Bloody heck that's not a good record on a bike which is now heading towards £20k.
2014 bike seized valve, new header pipes, 15000 miles. 2016 bike seized valve,  new header pipes, 15000mls... bit of a pattern here!
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I wonder if the Wethead & Shifthead exhaust flap failures are due to the vertical orientation of the spindle.

On previous models, the spindle is in the horizontal position and a separate part to the headers. 2012 Camhead, 37,600 miles original flap.
Last edited by David. on Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.