Newb looking to hear from people who have switched from GS/A to an RT

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Gadgetech

Newb looking to hear from people who have switched from GS/A to an RT

Post by Gadgetech »

I'm a newbie to this forum and my specific reason for being here is to read what others are saying that have moved from a GS/A to an RT.  I live in North Georgia (US) and we have a bunch of curvy roads around here.  I currently own a 2019 GS (I had a 2019 GSA that got totaled in an accident) however I'm going to soon need a bike more adept at interstate riding.  I 'know' that realistically the RT is the better bike but the GS/A is such a great allrounder.  Plus, I have a real concern for how hot I'll be during the hot and humid summer months.  The only time I go off-road is when I'm on a road that happens to not be paved lol.  I've already seen some comments from others about this and generally folks seem to be happy about the change and I will keep reading to gain insight.  Feel free to share any of your own thoughts about moving from a GS/A to an RT.  If I'm to get an RT, I'll wait until the 2021 is out and I'll be honest, that screen is fabulous.  I feel BMW Connected is far easier to work with than deal with my Garmin Nav6/Basecamp.  Also, no real interest in owning 2 bikes so I need 1 good one.  It's likely going to come down to the new GSA or RT although going the GSA route means still dealing with a nav device for onscreen maps.My bike ownership experience has included: Big touring Harleys, Ducati Multistrada, Triumph Speed Triple, Hexhead RT, GSA and now currently a GS.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Newb looking to hear from people who have switched from GS/A to an RT

Post by beemerboy9 »

Well - if you were able to mate a Multistrada with a big, touring Harley the love child would be an RT. What else do you want to know?
John Bentall
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

You'd be better off sticking with a GS.... RT's are for chubby folk and pensioners.  8)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
redcomet
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT
Great Britain

Post by redcomet »

Try this you tube            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpzQQlZjojo
(GS vs RT ) by a GS owner reviewing an RT for comparison. I have just swapped a K1200gt for a new R1250RT. The RT has a shorter wheelbase than the K which makes it more manoeuvrable. On the RT with the screen up plenty of weather protection , screen down plenty of air. Surprisingly the new RT has the same 0-60 mph time as the K1200 i.e 3.2 seconds.
This you tube shows what the police can do with them:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a82UJeI9M8c
Hope this helps

Best Wishes,
Pete
ride1st

Post by ride1st »

It can get warm on an RT in summer months.  I have a Werks quiet ride screen which is great for this time of year.  In summer months I switch back to a shorter screen for more airflow.  My previous bike was a Yamaha Super Tenere and I've owned a few GS's before that.  As a strictly highway / road machine I prefer the RT. 
dh110953
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by dh110953 »

I had 3 GS then GSA but 2 year ago went to the RT....never regretted it and I’m neither old or chubby as one comment infers. Have ridden from UK to Europe including 40degree C in Portugal. Yes, it got a bit warm.......but the comfort and smooth handling of the RT more than compensated. It’s a lot less agricultural than the GS....it’s a luxury bike but also has spirit and can handle the twisty roads with ease ..... a smile on my face as every ride. I loved the GS and GSA but having now owned the RT doubt I would go back to one unless I plan to ride off-road.