Tires tires tires.

Best tyres and oil for your R1200RT/R1250RT get other users opinions here.
Dartman340ta

Tires tires tires.

Post by Dartman340ta »

I bought a 2015 rt used . I really like the bike.  I’ve always run Michelin tires on my airheads.  This bike has road 4’s on it and due for a set of tires. Frt more than rear for some reason or is this the new normal. My thoughts are road 5 gt but then again I don’t care to put tires on every other month.  Living in eastern Tennesse where the roads are always twisty I ride most every day.  Any one know what kinda mileage there getting from road 5 gt’s
Cortina
Ireland

Re: Tires tires tires.

Post by Cortina »

Yes , but ask 6 different people and you'll get 6 different answers !!
(I was getting 7000 to 10,000 miles a tyre.  front and back ... front lasting 1 to 2000 miles longer than rear , typically)
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

I've heard and read about people getting between 3500-11500 miles on them!
Don't think I've read a bad word against them regards grip though.
None the wiser? Me neither, I was looking last week as mine was due a new set. Couldn't make me mind up either ways so opted for the 4GT as the majority of people seemed to speak of decent mileages from them.

Last edited by tojjer on Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

No idea on mileage yet buy I've just changed to PR5 GTs and I really like them, bike feels so much more planted than on the Metz Roadtec 1s. HTH.
Dartman340ta

Post by Dartman340ta »

Went with power5’s cause I got a deal I couldn’t refuse just a frt tire though back is ok but road 5 gt’s will be going on come spring
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Dartman340ta wrote: Went with power5’s cause I got a deal I couldn’t refuse just a frt tire though back is ok but road 5 gt’s will be going on come spring

Interesting choice, It'll be good to know how the RT behaves on a full on sportbike tyre?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Dartman340ta

Post by Dartman340ta »

Sticks like glue in the corners. Had it out yesterday scuffing it in.  Now how long it will last.  Good question
Have i bought a money pit

Post by Have i bought a money pit »

My new to me second hand RT came with continental road attack 3 I think they're called?
Anyone had experience with them?
I'm not sure if I like them. Now we're into the wet dark end of the year I wish I had Michelin's excellent PR4s on.

beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

simbo wrote:
Interesting choice, It'll be good to know how the RT behaves on a full on sportbike tyre?

An RT should handle just fine on a sportbike tyre.

It should not come as a surprise that a sportbike tyre will take much longer to warm up and achieve maximum grip on a cold wet winter morning. Yer pays yer money .......
John Bentall
Dartman340ta

Post by Dartman340ta »

Beemerboy I live across the pond in the south. It was 80 here today.  So warming up a set of tires isn’t the big issue here
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Have i bought a money pit wrote: My new to me second hand RT came with continental road attack 3 I think they're called?
Anyone had experience with them?
I'm not sure if I like them. Now we're into the wet dark end of the year I wish I had Michelin's excellent PR4s on.

Sorry, no experience of the Road Attack 3, but plenty experience of the previous Road Attack 1 and 2. Lovely tyres (IMHO)
It always depends on the individuals requirements. Personally I'm not interested in mileage. I only manage around 3000 to 4000 a year these days so those last for ever hard wearing types will be past there shelf life well before I could make use of that particular aspect. My main requirement is a nice comfy and compliant ride which I find the Conti's deliver. The feeling from the front in particular is fantastic. Feeling the Conti rubber bury itself into the crappy English (never rode in Wales and Scotland is generally better) road surface under braking I found confidence inspiring. The Road Attack 2 is available at a good price at the moment so I am even thinking of buying a pair now for fitting next Spring.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have i bought a money pit wrote:My new to me second hand RT came with continental road attack 3.
Are they "Standard" or "GT" versions.
tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Got my Road 4GT's on now, and have to say I love them so far. Should be scrubbed in now, so once lockdown is over, we'll see what they can do. I would imagine, they are capable far beyond my abilities.
Rider1260

Post by Rider1260 »

5GTs on my 2008 this year 6K miles really happy.

tojjer
Great Britain

Post by tojjer »

Rider1260 wrote: 5GTs on my 2008 this year 6K miles really happy.

Thats good to hear, will probably be the next set I have on mine after these 4GT's