Disc brake pads

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
yellowjacket

Disc brake pads

Post by yellowjacket »

I will be changing tires , again, soon and would like to change my front and rear brake pads. I have 45,000 miles and still running the stock front. I have changed the rear pads once. I have a 2016 R-1200RT. What are your suggestions for the best all around pads to purchase?
RC51 Tofuman

Re: Disc brake pads

Post by RC51 Tofuman »

If ur happy with OEM why change

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Reason to change is price i use genuine brembo sintered pads on front. Ebc are cheaper still.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

yellowjacket wrote:What are your suggestions for the best all around pads to purchase?
My experience has only been with a Hexhead or Camhead but pads are pads. Once tried EBC, they were crap, I threw them away and went back to OEM, have never used an alternative since.

Brembo do make several options and looking back at this thread, viewtopic.php?t=7 they offer a "Genuine" range for Wetheads, claimed to be same as OEM but cheaper.

If the original OEM front pads have done 45,000 miles and the rears have only been changed once, they may be best value for money.
Last edited by David. on Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest4915

Post by guest4915 »

I've ridden bikes for decades both professionally and for pleasure and maintained my own bikes. I've never used brake pads from a recognized manufacturer that I would describe as crap, and if I'm honest under usual operating conditions that I could easily differentiate between. 

I usually buy EBC from eBay suppliers and look for the best price. You often find with Brembo fitted brakes that the same pad fitted to a different bike make is cheaper than one that mentions BMW.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The BMW (made by Brembo) OEM pads are around £50, see #8, https://www.online-parts.co.uk/bmw-bike ... nth=01#sub

Without a discount, the Brembo 07BB38.64 "Genuine" are more expensive than BMW. Have seen them listed at the same price for Ducati & Triumph.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Brembo ... 3568591733

"Selecting these pads, you buy exactly the same OE material as used by the motorcycle manufacturer and developed for the particular application, according to the most stringent criteria."
Last edited by David. on Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

I am a bit confused by the notion of never having replaced the front pads but the rears have been worn out...
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

I've stuck with BMW / Brembo in the past, but recently fitted EBC HH to the rear brake,  and was stunned by how much better they are. Fronts will be replaced with the same soon, even tho they don't really need replacing. Just sayin.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Nick Evans wrote:I am a bit confused by the notion of never having replaced the front pads but the rears have been worn out.
There are several threads discussing what mileage folks are getting out of Wethead rear brake pads. Some have changed them more than once in less than 45,000 miles.
Last edited by David. on Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC51 Tofuman

Post by RC51 Tofuman »

I have gone 48k on OEM. I still had a little left.  I figured might as well change them out.  I stuck with OEM.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RC51 Tofuman wrote:I have gone 48k on OEM.
Is that front, rear or both.
RC51 Tofuman

Post by RC51 Tofuman »

David. wrote: Is that front, rear or both.
Goodmorning from California
I ride professionally and leisure.
I bought 2017 RT brand new....
Engine braked.....whenever it was possible

At 48k Major service interval....I checked Both Front and Rear pads.
I still had meat left on BOTH pads....

I made the decision to change-out and stayed OEM. 48k miles on OEM is a good distance run in my opinion.  I have No problems in the performance of the OEM pads too.

My 2 cents for what its worth.

Cortina
Ireland

Post by Cortina »

Nick Evans wrote: I am a bit confused by the notion of never having replaced the front pads but the rears have been worn out...
Don't be - I had exactly the same from my 2015 RT  - nearly finished off 2nd set of rear pads - front still original , 35,000 miles ... it's all (mostly) in how you ride.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

That has been my experience too.
The Wethead seems to consume rear pads at a much higher rate than the fronts (and also at a much higher rate than the rears on my Oilhead).
I too am a great fan of engine braking and was surprised by the frequency of pad changes!
Unlike David, I do like the EBC pads and find the HH pads to be very good in terms of feel and modulation.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Are there any thoughts on, or reasons why, Wethead rear pads do seem to wear out as they do.