Possible fluid leak on 2015 RT

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Roymundo

Possible fluid leak on 2015 RT

Post by Roymundo »

I am servicing and an annual clean of my 2015 R1200RT LC with 30k total miles recorded. Whilst cleaning I noticed a black cruddy mess at the engine rear under and around the clutch slave cylinder area and onto the exhaust pipe. Not noticed that before but cleaned it down with paraffin, dried off and as yet no sign of anything weeping/leaking.
Later I checked the clutch master cylinder reservoir and noticed the fluid level is about 9mm below the vertical marker bar. The clutch lever feels fine, not spongy and gear changes are normal.
Access to the slave cylinder looks a pig and I am wanting to do any work on it myself to cure whatever needs doing.
Any suggestions of how to proceed with this possible leak/problem?
yellowjacket

Re: Possible fluid leak on 2015 RT

Post by yellowjacket »

I have a 2016 RT with the same issue. There is a recall on the clutch slave. I did have a little dust / fluid buildup before the new slave kit from dealer. It has been clean ever since.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Maybe it's a crush washer or O ring failure? I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a replacement though, someone's been panic buying and there's a worldwide shortage. lol.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
michaelc2710
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 29 times
Great Britain

Post by michaelc2710 »

simbo wrote: Maybe it's a crush washer or O ring failure? I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a replacement though, someone's been panic buying and there's a worldwide shortage. lol.

:))  lol
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If it is crush washer or O ring failure, it'll cost coppers to fix. All the ones I've recently ordered have been available for immediate delivery.

Looks like an O ring or O ring set may indeed be required, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=5
Last edited by David. on Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.