Garmin Updates

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Garmin Updates

Post by hammo »

Hi this is a general question i have a navigator V with garmin updates for life free , received a phone call today from a guy who states that my Garmin requires a map update and i need to have this done by Garmin has anyone came across this with there own Garmin ? or could this lead up to a scam ?
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: Garmin Updates

Post by Gavj »

sounds like a scam to me Hammo. I have had a garmin for 4 yrs on my last bike and now have a Nav6 on the BM, never been called? but then again, I dont recall giving them my phone number.... did you?
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

I've never had a call from Garmin regarding updates or anything else. Does sound very suspicious.
Have you tried contacting Garmin for advice?
Their support page mentions a rise in fraudulent activity via websites but not cold calling. It would be worth bringing to their attention.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=jhhR3a8yqf0CU4W2jR4tS9&searchQuery=about%20tech%20support%20scams
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

hammo wrote: Hi this is a general question i have a navigator V with garmin updates for life free , received a phone call today from a guy who states that my Garmin requires a map update and i need to have this done by Garmin has anyone came across this with there own Garmin ? or could this lead up to a scam ?

Probable scam ....
John Bentall
PatM

Post by PatM »

Sounds like a scam to me. Map updates are free for the life of your Nav. It's all done via internet. All you need to do is connect it to a PC or Mac via USB and run Garmin Express.
Ride safe!
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Seems simple to me...
...contact Garmin and ask.
axamax
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2012
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by axamax »

Been using Garmins for 16 years and never been called.Call him back and get the address he wants you to send it to. Then call the police.
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

I have a Navigation question not related to updates. I have a 2016 RT with a Nav lV. I have a habit of leaving all of my cool places in my RECENTS and not in my SAVED. The other day i wanted to delete a motel and replace another motel. I pushed delete and presto, all RECENTS were deleted. Is there any way to go into the history and restore these points of interest? I hate to lose all those places I visited over the last 4-5 years.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Hi Yellowjacket,
Why don't you start a new thread so that this one doesn't go off on a tangent.