General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Crud Catcher

Post by hammo »

Hi Guys
          Any tips on the best crud catcher for a 1250RT ?
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: Crud Catcher

Post by Gavj »

I made one... can send dims if you are able to knock up one yourself... spacers are a bit awkward if you dont have a lathe, long bolts will need to be bought.
Attachments
crud catcher.jpg
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

Dims of my one if you want to knock one up....
Attachments
R1250RT Crud Guard.pdf
(528 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Some crud catchers require the front deflector to be removed, others or DIY ones don't.

Nippy Normans list a Cymarc version which requires the front deflector to be removed,
https://www.nippynormans.com/camping-tr ... -onr1250rt

Cymarc themselves show a 1250 version with the front deflector fitted,
https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/r1250 ... 1116-p.asp

Last edited by David. on Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looks like Wunderlich offer two versions which both work with the front deflector fitted.

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/bmw-r ... 2-002.html

https://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/bmw-r ... 0-100.html
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Wow. I am not normally a fan of Wunderlich stuff, but they have made a great job of this black one.

TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

bandytales wrote:
Wow. I am not normally a fan of Wunderlich stuff, but they have made a great job of this black one.
My thoughts exactly, not at all impressed with Wunderlich stuff in the past, but this protective plate is good, which is why I fitted one to my R1250RT before it had done 20 miles!!
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
wethead

Post by wethead »

School on this please....
...cause I don't see no sene on putting a plate infront ot the engine block so that now you have to clean the plate.

Why not just install a fender extender; there is probably a bunch in the market
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
Gavj
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

This is with a fender extender  :o
Attachments
crud catcher.jpg
bighopper

Post by bighopper »

bandytales wrote:
I just got the exact same unit look from AliExpress for $45cdn shipped to Canada from China.
speedy

Post by speedy »

Evotech Performance makes a nice looking one as well.  Don't own one, but was thinking about it...

[size=2px]https://evotech-performance.com/collect ... 01-to-2018[/size]
2018 R1200RT / 2018 S1000XR / 2015 FZ-09 - Search all motorcycle forums at one time - www.MotorcycleForumSearch.com
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

If you bolt an engine protector on, doesn't that just trap all the crap behind it? The purpose of an engine protector is the same as a sump guard to stop something damaging the engine. If you just want to keep debris from marking the casing, then a fender extender does the job. But if you want to ride the bike up tracks then you probably need one. Had a fender extender on my 2014 for 4 years and one on my 1250 for the last year or so and the engine still looks fine. Got mine from Nippy Normans. fits without drilling.
wethead

Post by wethead »

Casbar wrote: If you bolt an engine protector on, doesn't that just trap all the crap behind it? The purpose of an engine protector is the same as a sump guard to stop something damaging the engine. If you just want to keep debris from marking the casing, then a fender extender does the job. But if you want to ride the bike up tracks then you probably need one. Had a fender extender on my 2014 for 4 years and one on my 1250 for the last year or so and the engine still looks fine. Got mine from Nippy Normans. fits without drilling.

Casbar, you are spoiling the joy of buying useless things for one's beloved motorcycle...be
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Casbar wrote: If you bolt an engine protector on, doesn't that just trap all the crap behind it? The purpose of an engine protector is the same as a sump guard to stop something damaging the engine. If you just want to keep debris from marking the casing, then a fender extender does the job. But if you want to ride the bike up tracks then you probably need one. Had a fender extender on my 2014 for 4 years and one on my 1250 for the last year or so and the engine still looks fine. Got mine from Nippy Normans. fits without drilling.
I have fitted front (and rear) fender extenders to my; R1150RT, R1200RT (air cooled),2015 & 2018 R1200RTs (water cooled) and whilst definitely worth fitting I can tell you they do not stop (a lot of!) crud hitting the large flat front of the engine. Over time stones etc will damage the finish of this large exposed area. I found the original smaller SS "crud catchers" helped but did not protect the whole of the engine front.

These latest plastic crud catchers protect the whole area and because they also stand off on spacers (as did the older SS ones) there is no danger of crud getting caught or stuck behind it.

If there is any deterioration to the finish of the engine front with this fitted, there will be no room for BMW to say "normal wear and tear" damage like they have tried in the past!

My experience of 8k "all year round" miles per annum over the years tells me that a front fender extender AND one of these new full size crud catchers will give the best level of protection and preserve the finish of the front plate. The irony is that day to day I will not see the pristine finish until I remove the crud catcher just prior to selling the bike!! 

Just my 2d worth - YMMV.
Last edited by TJRL on Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.