General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Salopette Style Pants

Post by Our Gee »

Morning all,
Spent a lot of time lately looking for a pair of Bike Trousers in the "Salopette " style. That is not the normal waist (which disappeared years ago) fitting but one's which extend up to mid chest height with shoulder braces. I first noticed this style years ago worn by continental riders but they never seemed to catch on very well in the UK. I still have a pair of Leather Hein Gerike salopettes in decent condition but I now need a pair in modern textile construction but so far have drawn a blank.
Please can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Tiedend
Has liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Salopette Style Pants

Post by Tiedend »

Depends if you want textile or leather. My experience is that some textile suit makers have zip in braces that act like salopettes.

My Revit suit has that option and works very well. It uses the half zip at the back and Velcro attachment at the front.
Graham
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I would agree with the above. In leather, it seems that bib & braces are generally part of the pants and not detachable. Whereas, with textiles, the bib & braces are usually zipped into the waistband of the pants. Perhaps this is to allow more flexibility to remove the bib & braces to fully zip a jacket to the pants. Or perhaps they have a more practical use!

My Alpinestars textiles came with a normal waistline & braces which were removed.

J&S do these Frank Thomas pants, described as salopettes, https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/fra ... k/8490.htm

BMW do these StreetGuard pants, https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk ... rettyPhoto
Last edited by David. on Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

The only Salopette style I have seen are these waterproof ones but obviously not textile that you are after.

https://www.motolegends.com/trousers/sp ... pants.html
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Thanks for the initial replies chaps. The BMW pants look like they fit the bill but are obviously aimed at the premium end of the market with a price tag to match, which unfortunately rules them out.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Oxford do a range where the bib is at the back with braces at the front, https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcyc ... rs/page:1/
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Thanks for that Oxford link David, unfortunately their design falls short of what I need. Can't really see the point of a "normal" waist type of fitting with the "Bib" section extending only up the back. As I said above the BMW offering looks to be functionally ideal but it's the premium price that's the problem.
BoB21
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Always well known second hand site. Streetguard is only one ive ever seen and very good quality. Not bought but have trie on .
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Frank Thomas from J&S might work. Looks like these FTW357 trousers & bib go together,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRANK-THOMAS ... 1895888220

J&S have a store in Leeds, not too far away with plenty of parking.
Last edited by David. on Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Depends where you are and how much you are willing to pay but Hideout Leather would make you a set to your exact spec if required, I can voucher for the quality of their work as my wife and I have had a few things altered by Kate:- https://www.hideout-leather.co.uk/
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

BoB21 wrote: Always well known second hand site. Streetguard is only one ive ever seen and very good quality. Not bought but have trie on .

There are some BMW Streetguard bargains on Ebay at the moment albeit in certain sizes, although one would have to be very familiar with the weird BMW sizing system before being confident enough to buy mail order.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Earlier in the year (2020) when someone was looking for gloves, we made a circular trip to York & Leeds.
There is Infinity at York plus Sportsbike Shop and J&S next to each other in Leeds.

When looking for textile jacket & trousers (x2),  we ended up on Westgate Road, Newcastle, M&S and Proto.

Locally, there is MSG Bike Gear. J&S have a store in Newcastle near the Metrocentre.

When searching, the Frank Thomas FTW357 Kinetik pants & bib keep popping up.
Last edited by David. on Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Have a pair of BMW Streetguard Textile Trousers, these have a detachable bib. Got them through the insurance claim after I was rear ended in 2014. Yes they are expensive but 6 years on they are still very warm, waterproof & comfortable. Don't wear the bib very often as if it is getting really cold I put my Keis jacket on.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

I would look at the J&S ones  they appear to have a much higher waste than standard waterproofs and the higher back will help to keep the cold of your kidneys.

May go a look at a pair myself
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Many thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Maybe some form of explanation as to why I need this particular type of bike trousers in what could be described as the "Twilight" of my biking career. I have had my current Textile Jacket and Trousers for about 10 years now and they are still in very good order. They are of the just below "premium" category, from the Spanish "Biker" brand. The only thing which is wrong is that when I bought them (mail order) I gave the dealer my actual inside leg measurement and did not allow for the inevitable "rising up" of the lower trouser when seated on the bike. This means that the bottom of the trouser leg is half way up my boot, which is not ideal. Also being "waist" cut style I just never like the "feel" if that makes sense. By comparison my Hein Gericke leather "Salopettes" are great, giving a feeling of security around the midriff because they extend up to chest height at the front and shoulder height at the rear. So then, I thought it would be a fairly simple task to obtain what I want but that seems to be not the case, but I'm not in any great hurry so lets see what pops up.
Thanks again.