ebay is easy but!

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

ebay is easy but!

Post by David. »

ebay may be easy but not necessarily the cheapest. Here's an example of a Hiflo HFA7914 air filter.

Kwakies Motorcycle Spares Ltd, £16.62, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-BMW-R12 ... Swi8xaB3MS

MSG Bike Gear, £8.59, https://www.msgbikegear.co.uk/products/ ... c11e&_ss=r

When searching for items, ebay may pop up, if it can't be purchased directly by speaking to someone, I look elsewhere.
By picking up the phone, got the above air filter for £8.00 from BikespeedUK, (inc. other items).

Recently, a pair of tyres were on ebay, rang the supplier (BikespeedUK) and without asking was offered £10 off the ebay price.

Let your fingers do the walking, it's good to talk.
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Re: ebay is easy but!

Post by Graham88 »

'tis true.
EBay started as an online auction and personally that is all I would ever use it for. All this 'Buy it Now' nonsense is flooded with counterfeits and as you quite rightly point out, more expensive. Amazon is also convenience over price.

It should come as no suprise that every middle man involved in a particular supply chain, takes his cut. Plus with EBay, paypal want their slice so you get two middle men for the price of... two middle men.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

If the price is right, I do use Amazon. An account was set up with them years ago, therefore, it is convenient to sign in without entering loads of details.

The HFA7914 air filter is £10.57, https://www.amazon.co.uk/B%C3%9CSE-HFA7 ... 844&sr=8-1

I check out who it is despatched from and sold by to see if it can be purchased directly. Usually only purchase through Amazon if it's free delivery.
Another reason for phoning a new supplier is to save having to mess on creating an online account with them. At the same time, it gives a feel of whether they are genuine or not.

Most recently, I try to do the one stop shop, particularly if delivery is not free.
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

First line said it all, convenience. If I decide I want something it's usually now, now, now.

For items that I buy as infrequently as once a year I don't really bother comparing or shopping around. The little time I have left after work and family commitments are removed, I'd rather spend riding my bike or doing the other things I enjoy over saving a few pennies a year, even if those pennies add up to a few hundred quid.
If I were a retiree with little else to fill my days, perhaps I would change my behaviours but to be honest if things got that bad I'd rather put a shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger with my toes.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The first line said, "If the price is right".

As a ReTiree, I'm more than happy to compare prices & shop around. I appreciate some don't have the time or inclination. But hey, if you find a bargain, why not share it.
Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

Not a criticism, if it makes you happy then crack on. But £2 off isnt a bargain to everyone and sometimes when you share your elation at saving £2, expect a few  ???
?ReTiree?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

It's the principle not the amount involved.

The air filter used in this "real" example is over 50% off, a saving of £8.62. What's not to like about that.
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

I was using your Amazon price vs. the indy price. £2, but £8 or £2 doesn't really change anything. And the principle is this:
Purchase Price + Delivery + (Time Taken x Value of Your time) + Convenience Factor + Risk = Total Cost
For some people (Myself included) the extra £2 to Amazon adds more than £2 in value.. I can order it at 11 o clock at night and still get it next day, I can have it sent to a locker if I want to be out (rather than waiting in all day (which is value)), I don't have to hand over my card details to another party (which carries risk), returns and refunds are swift... and I'm sure you can add to this list.
How much is your time worth? I'd happily pay you £2 an hour to come service my bike.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The ebay price of £16.62 (posted elsewhere on this forum) vs the BikespeedUK price of £8.00 was posted as an example of ebay not always being the cheapest place to purchase items.

Items can be purchased online 24/7 from BikespeedUK, a delivery address can be selected which isn't your home address and payment is secure.
Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

EBay will rarely be the cheapest for any like for like, from new purchase as you have two middle men lining their pockets but those middle men are providing a service that adds value. Whether that added value is £8 or not is personal.

Most online shops take orders 24/7, Amazon process and despatch 24/7 - big difference.

Most online shops will ship to any address, Amazon will ship to an unattended locker which I can collect at my convenience, EBay have the argos thing going - big difference

All payment systems have vulnerabilities but some vendors (paypal) give an unconditional guarantee which again, is value added.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I'll save the £8.00 by ordering the parts in advance of needing them and have them shipped to my home address.

Royal Mail and the local delivery drivers know they can safely leave items with neighbours if unable to deliver to the home address.
Graham88

Post by Graham88 »

MikeS wrote:
Rather poor taste.
Wouldn't taste it for long
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Graham88 wrote:
If I were a retiree with little else to fill my days, perhaps I would change my behaviours but to be honest if things got that bad I'd rather put a shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger with my toes.

Sorry, modified my post before you replied. However, your response doesn't change my opinion.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

I ordered an Alpaca this morning from eBay. Should be here tomorrow (free delivery! it's walking apparently?) I'll let you know how things work out  :)

The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

You've done well, after following the threads on here I've ordered some washers.

[attachimg=1]

Think Ive got the wrong end of the stick. To top it off they're collection only.

Attachments
washing-recycling.jpg