Hex ezCAN installation problem

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Erable

Hex ezCAN installation problem

Post by Erable »

Just wanting to ask the group whether there's a history of ezCAN problems.  Basically:
1. I ordered and installed an ezCAN Gen I.  It took a long time for me to realize that the ezCAN wasn't working properly (I installed aux lights 6 months later and the intermittent problem became obvious at that point). After many emails with the support guys at Hex, the decision was made to replace mine on warranty.
2. New one came in about a week ago (a Gen II).  I configured it on the computer - all good.  Installed it on the bike - no LED indications of any sort; basically it acted as if dead.
3. Removed it from the bike (I was told by Hex to disconnect everything and let it sit for 10 minutes and it would do a "hard reset").  After a period, connected it to the computer and was able to configure, yet again - good so far.
4. Put it back on the bike (+12V no fuse, then gnd, then to RDC, then to CANBUS, added the fuse) - this time I had the flashing green LED - all good.  Connected the accessory, turned on the bike - nothing.  Plugged in the laptop - it was like the unit was dead.
5. I now have it off the bike, waited 10 minutes, the computer sees it again.

I guess my question is - are these things known to be flaky?  Why am I asking? Well, I do normally know what I'm doing, and installing one of these things is not rocket science...ground wire, +12V, one end to the RDC, the other end to the RDC plug on the bike side, a two wire accessory (white circuit) and pretty hard to confuse ground and +12V there... is it possible that I received two faulty units?  I guess the other question is, does anyone know what the minimum connections required to make the thing work - just +12V/gnd?  or +12V/gnd/CANBUS (RDC)?  or is only CANBUS required to give some level of functionality? If I could do the minimum connectivity I could at least narrow down the bike side of things... or perhaps there's a very specific installation sequence...???

Suggestions appreciated - I'm pulling my hair out...sigh

Rich
2015 R1200RT
1987 R80RT
Rich
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Re: Hex ezCAN installation problem

Post by bicyclenut »

I think I installed mine first and then configured and updated after all set up on the bike. Not heard of any issue with any frequency. I did have a Gen 1 unit fail after maybe six months. As I recall there was a green light but nothing worked from it. Hex replaced it under warranty. Installed new unit and worked fine until I upgraded to a Gen 2. Just rewired for new connector, connected power and configured unit.  All was fine and worked with no issues. How did you power the unit up prior to installation? Maybe something occurred there or wrong voltage. Sure that it is plugged in to the right CANBUS connection? Mine is a Camhead so probably different than a LC model.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Hex ezCAN installation problem

Post by Casbar »

I ran a Cansmart Gen 1 for 4 years, just swapped it with a Cansmart Gen 2 a few weeks ago. I set mine up on the computer the same as you did and its working fine. As you said there is nothing really to get wrong, power and then connect the two plugs to the bike and off you go. If there is no green light, then something is wrong, if there is a green light but nothing is working, re-visit the config. I currently have my aux lights on the white and red circuit and brake light on the other.