R1250RT Battery maintenance advice

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
boz29

R1250RT Battery maintenance advice

Post by boz29 »

Hello all

New to the forum and to BMW motorbikes, having just bought my 1250 RT very recently.  So please go easy on me... at least at first! :-)

I have an Optimate 3 that I have used for several years, on other bikes, with no problems.  I don't really want to upgrade to an Optimate 4, even though it has CAN-bus functionality.

Will the Opti 3 successfully maintain the battery on the RT if I connect it the same way as I have done with other bikes i.e. directly to the battery using the supplied "pigtail" lead?  Are there any downsides or pitfalls with this method?

I have to admit to being slightly paranoid about damaging the bikes electronics, having read the BMW riders manual which basically says "WARNING! Only use exorbitantly priced BMW products to charge the battery or you will destroy your expensive motorcycle!" :-D

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
G

Beagle

Re: R1250RT Battery maintenance advice

Post by Beagle »

If you connect it directly to the battery will be ok.
Last edited by Beagle on Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Had an Opimate 3 which I connected directly the the battery on a 2005 R1200RT for about 8 years. Never had a problem and didn't have to replace the battery.

Bought an Optimate 4 (for the canbus option) and have used that on a water-cooled GS and now an1250RT through the accessory socket, again never had a problem.

Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I have mine connected direct to the battery never had a problem, both on my 2005 and now my 2013 RT.
Cortina
Ireland

Post by Cortina »

Why maintain at all ?  (here I am assuming you have bike off road for winter !!)  - Just disconnect battery at neg lead.  In March (or when ever )  - reconnect battery and start  .
I did this for 5 years (new 2015 RT) , never had a problem , never had any form of battery tender or charger near it.
Reset date on bike after starting ...............sorts service light.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Cortina wrote:Why maintain at all?
A good reason to maintain a battery is to comply with the T&C's of the warranty.

From the Rider's Manual, "Correct upkeep, recharging and storage will prolong the life of the battery and are essential if warranty claims are to be considered."
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Cortina wrote: Why maintain at all ?  (here I am assuming you have bike off road for winter !!)  - Just disconnect battery at neg lead.  In March (or when ever )  - reconnect battery and start  .
I did this for 5 years (new 2015 RT) , never had a problem , never had any form of battery tender or charger near it.
Reset date on bike after starting ...............sorts service light.

Excuse my ignorance.
Does the alarm still work if you disconnect the battery? I've declared to the insurance that it has an alarm, if it gets nicked out of the garage over the winter would I still be covered for theft if I'd intentionally disabled the alarm?
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

MikeS wrote:
Excuse my ignorance.
Does the alarm still work if you disconnect the battery? I've declared to the insurance that it has an alarm, if it gets nicked out of the garage over the winter would I still be covered for theft if I'd intentionally disabled the alarm?

Although this is probably material for another thread subject I now tell any prospective insurer that I don't have an alarm. IMHO bike alarms are nothing but a complete pain and not worth the £15 to £20 discount allowed, no doubt others will offer a different opinion.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

MikeS wrote:
Excuse my ignorance.

My alarm (BMW factory fit) goes off when I remove the terminals from the battery, I seem to have to put it in ferry mode to disable it until the battery connection is restored.

ps. I think I was putting it in ferry mode? I could have just been resetting it with the fob for all I know?.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
boz29

Post by boz29 »

Hi folks

Many thanks for the input... I will charge direct to battery.  Disconnecting the battery is an option of course, especially for longer periods not using the bike.  However, i generally feel more comfortable having an active alarm.  Personal preference I guess. 

This thread does appear to have wandered a little off-topic with the alarm discussion, though. 😁
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

boz29 wrote: Hello all

New to the forum and to BMW motorbikes, having just bought my 1250 RT very recently.  So please go easy on me... at least at first! :-)

I have an Optimate 3 that I have used for several years, on other bikes, with no problems.  I don't really want to upgrade to an Optimate 4, even though it has CAN-bus functionality.

Will the Opti 3 successfully maintain the battery on the RT if I connect it the same way as I have done with other bikes i.e. directly to the battery using the supplied "pigtail" lead?  Are there any downsides or pitfalls with this method?

I have to admit to being slightly paranoid about damaging the bikes electronics, having read the BMW riders manual which basically says "WARNING! Only use exorbitantly priced BMW products to charge the battery or you will destroy your expensive motorcycle!" :-D

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
G

Welcome to the best bike for touring G ( lol @ Simbo )

In winter with weather 3 and below I always use my optimate direct off the battery.. I charge it until the night before I plan to ride  and take it off charge..  done this for years... battery always good...  except one week I forgot to switch in at the plug end ( idiot, kick self ) and went to start the bike to meet the lads and battery flat lol

Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜
boz29

Post by boz29 »

So, having started this thread about battery maintenance, I have gone and made the unforgiveable (not to mention embarrassing) schoolboy error of NOT maintaining my battery! 😖🤦‍♂️  Yes... I am feeling like a complete numpty right now!

I went to check on the bike the other day (its garaged away from my home) and found that it is as dead as the proverbial dodo.  The red light is flashing on the dash (alarm is armed) but when I press the 'on' button (keyless ride) nothing happens.  My initial thought was the fob battery, so I swapped that out for a fresh one, but still no joy.  The steering lock will not release and the dash does not come on.

So, barring a completely duff fob (I have no reason to believe this is the case as the bike is only 13 months old), I can only conclude that the bike battery is flat.  Cleary, it needs charging.  I intend to remove the battery from the bike to do this (or at the very least, disconnect the terminals).  Am I correct in thinking this will cause the alarm to go off?  If so, can I just switch it off using the appropriate button on the fob?  And lastly, other than the date/time, is there anything that will need resetting once the recharged battery goes back on the bike?

Many thanks, G
Last edited by boz29 on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

boz29 wrote: Cleary, it needs charging.  I intend to remove the battery from the bike to do this (or at the very least, disconnect the terminals).  Am I correct in thinking this will cause the alarm to go off?  If so, can I just switch it off using the appropriate button on the fob?  And lastly, other than the date/time, is there anything that will need resetting once the recharged battery goes back on the bike?

Many thanks, G

Date and time will need reset plus any personal preferences you have input via the wonder wheel.  But why disconnect it.  remove the right hand bottom panel to access the battery  the earth/Negative terminal is easily access here and just in front of the battery box is a positive terminal you can connect to.  Job done These are also the ideal places to connect a fly lead if you wish to make it easier next time
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

exportman wrote:But why disconnect it, remove the right hand bottom panel to access the battery, the earth/negative terminal is easily access here and just in front of the battery box is a positive terminal you can connect to. Job done. These are also the ideal places to connect a fly lead if you wish to make it easier next time.
Would that be as per this photo. The battery -ve terminal is at the top left and the +ve (jumping post) is at the RHS of the battery box.

Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boz29

Post by boz29 »

Gents... thanks for your replies.

David, that is a very useful reference photo.  Thank you.

Exportman, perhaps I am being overly cautious in removing the battery?  The manual specifically says to remove it if you are charging the battery from dead.  There is no electricity in the garage where I keep my bike.  I was going to remove it from the bike and bench charge it at home using a mains powered Optimate.  I've just taken delivery of an Optimate solar charger/monitor, that I could use to charge the battery in situ.

Regards
G
Last edited by boz29 on Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.