Heed rear crash bars

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Heed rear crash bars

Post by Sharkfighter »

I currently have a 63 plate 1200RT and my wife purchased some Heed rear crash bars as a Christmas present. I tried fitting them today and they won't fit! There is a lining on the rear mud guard. Where the bodywork and the liner screw together this is preventing the bar fitting correctly. The bar is approx 5 cm forward of where it should be to fit. The bars should fit as they are for 05-13 models.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
I've contacted Heed but if I have to pay for them to be sent back it's going to cost a bit as they were sent from their factory in Poland.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Heed rear crash bars

Post by David. »

Sharkfighter wrote:Has anyone else experienced anything like this.
Found this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hoo6efTFOiU

See the comments, if you "subscribe", does that allow you to comment (correspond) with the guy who posted the video.
Sharkfighter
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

David, thanks for your reply, I've watched the video before. Having looked at it closely I may have been trying to put the bar on the wrong side. Though the instructions are as clear as mud and I followed them, hence the reason for not being able to fit them. I’ll give it go again tomorrow, weather permitting, and report back.
Sharkfighter
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

Couldn’t wait until tomorrow and been out and tried to put the bars on, I’ve got the offside on loosely, I think I’ll need to take part of the body panels off to fit the last fitting.  Put it down to OE, operator error!!!! I had been trying to put the bars on the wrong side.  In my defence I do have to say that they weren’t marked as to which side went to which!

Once again David thanks for you’re help, without it I wouldn’t have noticed the way the bar was facing.
Sharkfighter
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I've finally fitted the bars and I didn't have to take the panels off. I attached some thin wire to the U bolt that goes round the frame, fed it through the bar and pulled the bolt through. The only giddily bit was fitting the washers and nut. I had to get the wife to do the top one on the offside as my hands are on the large side and wouldn’t squeeze through the small gap.
It took around 30 minutes to do both sides, considerably quicker than thanking the panels off and refitting.
davef1uk

Post by davef1uk »

I fitted these on my previous 1200RT and now my current 1250RT... can't fault them..
Motorbiking is a life, not a hobby.  Ride with Pride.  😜