Optimate 4 - Canbus Circuit

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Optimate 4 - Canbus Circuit

Post by exportman »

Hi
Just got an Optimate 4 following the catastrophic failure of my previous Oxford charger ( I ran over it with the car)  :whistle: The Optimate charger works OK but because I use the wire to the aux socket as a trigger for my additional devices they all turn on too, so either I connect the optimate direct to the battery ( as was the case with the Oxford charger) or I find another switched feed for my extras.
Suggestion on a postcard please ;)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Optimate 4 - Canbus Circuit

Post by David. »

exportman wrote:Connect the optimate direct to the battery.
PatM

Post by PatM »

+1 Connect directly to the battery
Ride safe!
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

PatM wrote: +1 Connect directly to the battery

+1, Have rear Hella socket connected directly to battery - allowing use to tyre inflator without fear of triggering overload in ZFE.
John Bentall
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

beemerboy9 wrote:
+1, Have rear Hella socket connected directly to battery - allowing use to tyre inflator without fear of triggering overload in ZFE.

Thats a good Idea  Ill have a look at that
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Your BMW dealer should have an appropriate "repair wire" for that type of connector.

John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The BMW repair wire/plug for the on-board socket is £25.90, https://www.online-parts.co.uk/bmw-bike ... +0+402+338 it's not fused and doesn't come with eyelets for connection to the battery.

Motorworks (or ebay) sell this auxiliary power socket kit universal for £20.40, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Additional-p ... SwlTBdY8ZR it comes complete with fused lead and eyelets.

Providing that the BMW OEM on-board socket and the Motorworks universal socket require the same size hole in the bodywork, it may be possible to switch one for the other, or mount elsewhere. As the socket is for use with the standard European DIN (BMW) plugs, you'd expect them to be the same size.

This thread, viewtopic.php?p=54511#p54511 shows the Motorworks universal socket fitted as an "extra" socket to a Camhead RT for battery charging.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

I've done this on my last 2 RTs. Using this kit from Nippy Norman (no affiliation, similar kits are available from alternative suppliers :) ):

https://www.nippynormans.com/optimate-and-sockets/din-size-socket-kit-12v-5a-including-fuse

I've mounted the socket in the triangular panel that covers the rear brake master cylinder, on the RHS of the bike. I've connected the lead directly to the battery terminals. Useful for battery charging, and as a power take-off for an Airman compressor and heated vest, which draw too much current for the CANbus to support. I have bought a spare replacement panel, so I can remove the socket/lead and return the bike to standard when I eventually come to sell it.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

How about this DIN socket for £8.00, https://www.windingroads.co.uk/din-ciga ... -accessory

With a couple of spade connectors, the now u/s Oxford charger fused pigtail lead could be made to fit.
Last edited by David. on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions  I have ordered a Din socket  and hope to fit it this weekend  not 100% sure where yet.  Not wished to freeze in the garage whilst I work it out
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

@ Rts4me , just read the "[size=2px]and heated vest, which draw too much current for the CANbus to support" bit... I am looking at some heated clothing just now, will the standard socket not support this? My Triumph had a socket located at your left knee which was described as being for heated clothing, never used it other than for battery charging but Im suprised to hear that the BMW socket wont support heated clothing.[/size]
exportman
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Just checking  the central connector on the din socket is the +  ?
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

@Gavj - the bike handbook describes the electrical rating 'total for all sockets' as being 10 amps. My Keis heated vest on the highest setting will trip the socket out, hence the separately-wired battery-direct socket.

My heated vest is very old model, so I suspect that it isn't as efficient, in terms of power requirement for heat output, as some of the latest kit. I'm just guessing that this is the 'problem', as other low-current accessories work fine from the bikes standard socket. I'm not an expert on electrics, but on this and other forums, others seem to report similar experiences.

Hope this helps :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

exportman wrote:Just checking the central connector on the din socket is the +ve.
Yes it is, out of interest, has your Optimate got reverse polarity protection.

Last edited by David. on Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This Keis manual, https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0451/ ... 1604329276 lists their heated kit current draw.

I have the fused power supply lead bolted directly to the battery. This allows the female socket to be in the most convenient place between the tank and rider's seat.