Washed Up Bikes

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Washed Up Bikes

Post by Our Gee »

Rather quiet time on the Forum at the moment so to help generate so interest can any one remember an incident which happened quite some time ago.
I can't remember the exact date but what happened was that during a bad storm some containers being transported as deck cargo where washed overboard from a ship. I believe that a number of these containers where eventually washed up on a beach somewhere in southern England ?. At the time there was TV news footage of containers being opened by local people and the cargo of BMW Motorcycles being "rescued" and man-handled up the beach. Can anyone remember this happening and offer any details as to what happened to the bikes. Did anyone from our Forum actually "acquire" one these salvaged bikes ?.
bandytales

Re: Washed Up Bikes

Post by bandytales »

The BMW bike was taken off the beach at Branscombe, East Devon, when it washed up alongside other cargo from the MSC Napoli on January 18, 2007.[/font][/size]

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/motorbike-washed-up-devon-beach-2162249

[size=2px]https://www.google.com/maps/place/Brans ... 4d-3.12209[/size]
[size=2px]
[/size]
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

It would be quite a challenge to get any corrosion sorted under warranty.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

MikeS wrote: It would be quite a challenge to get any corrosion sorted under warranty.

Apparently BMW said they would only consider replacing Engine Front Covers and Footrest Hangers if it could be proved that the bike in question was submerged for less than 5 minutes. (R1200 Models only).
Reginald

Post by Reginald »

I do remember that. I seem to think the local Police got rather stroppy about them being rescued/salvaged from the beach and threatened prosecutions for theft or suchlike.
Humphrey1

Post by Humphrey1 »

I rember seeing that Ship as we waalked on the Coast Path day after it happened