Revving to full on start-up...cruise control

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Revving to full on start-up...cruise control

Post by Nick Evans »

So I was doing some stuff under the tank, and I wanted to test what I had done. I dropped the tank back on and connected everything, switched on and started. Imagine my surprise when the engine revved to over 5k...quickly switch off! Try again, same result. Take the tank off, change what I had done, tank on, start, full revs again, switch off. Hmmm.

Plug in the GS911, nothing looks out of place as far as I can see with the engine off. Inside, bit of research, try recalibrating the throttle position sensor (batterry off, battery on, ignition on, wind throttle from idle to fully open 3 times, ignition off) Ignition on and start, same result but I notice that I can get the engine back to idle by twisting the throttle closed, so the electronics will let it idle, it is just it does not want to.

Tank off, open up throttle cable clevis box and check motion of cables, all looks good, close up box.

Tank on, start, full throttle again etc. Switch off, time for tea and internet. Find something from some GREAT SAGE about pinching the cruise control cable leading to a stuck throttle....I had been putting the tank on but not putting in the rear bolts as I was always going to be taking it off again, and lo and behold the cruise control cable runs close to the RH rear mount. Route it correctly, tank back on and raise it slightly, spark it up, problem solved.

An hour of my life I will never get back.
R2K

Re: Revving to full on start-up...cruise control

Post by R2K »

Thanks for sharing your experience could save us the aggregation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks.  It is valuable to detail not only solutions, but how to avoid bringing problems down up ourselves.  I hate it when that happens.

Marvin2Shoes
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011 MOD
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 17 times
Australia

Post by Marvin2Shoes »

Just saved me a major headache.... I still wasted an hour of my life before I checked the forum but it could have been worse, much worse. Many thanks!
2011 R1200RT Highly Modified