Interesting Read about Insurance/Tax/MOT (U.K.)

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Interesting Read about Insurance/Tax/MOT (U.K.)

Post by Our Gee »

Just been reading some general Rules regarding Vehicle Road Tax, Insurance and M.O.T. (Applies to UK only). The information I was reading was not from a Government source but from the Quick Fit Tyre and Service Centre.
Basically they are saying that when your Vehicle M.O.T. Test Certificate becomes expired your Insurance become invalid. As I will be required to have my Bike M.O.T Tested before I can Tax it (My M.O.T. Certificate expired in December 2020 and is on a S.O.R.N.) and if the above information is correct that would mean that I will be riding an uninsured bike to the Test Station and that even before that event my bike is un-insured in my garage. I have never came across this situation before so please can anyone offer advice.
Thanks.
Levisp

Re: Interesting Read about Insurance/Tax/MOT (U.K.)

Post by Levisp »

I would check with your insurance company. However I was always under the impression that its is totally legal to ride a bike without a MOT to a MOT service centre for a pre-booked MOT. Riding without a MOT under any other circumstances is illegal and invalidates your insurance. If your bike is SORN then I presume your insurance is covering you for fire and theft but I would check with your insurance company.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 335 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is this the Kwik Fit info., https://www.kwik-fit.com/blog/can-i-tax ... out-an-mot

I've just text one of our local Police Interceptors (traffic cops). I asked the question, "Is your insurance valid without an MOT". The reply was, "Yes it's still valid".

Kwik Fit are probably touting for business following the 6 months MOT extensions. There might be a difference between an expired MOT and a failed MOT.

I wouldn't advocate deliberately riding or driving around without a valid MOT. However, as we know, if your vehicle isn't taxed, you can take it locally for a pre-arranged (appointment) MOT. It is an offence in itself to drive without a valid MOT test certificate.

Surely the bike is insured for Fire & Theft whilst in the garage, irrespective of it's mechanical condition.
Carole Nash say, "Your insurance is still valid if your vehicle is declared SORN".
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

You can ride/drive your vehicle without an MOT if you are going to or from a pre arranged MOT or place of repair. If your vehicle doesn’t have an MOT and you have booked one and it subsequently fails and you are returning home this is perfectly legal, same with taking it to be repaired after it has failed an MOT.
What isn’t legal is riding without insurance so if you are using your vehicle to either get an MOT or repaired then YES your insurance is valid as you have an exemption in law to use your vehicle. In my 31 years police service I have never prosecuted someone for using their vehicle without insurance when the MOT has expired, the offence is using it without an MOT not using it without an MOT and insurance. The fine is a fixed penalty of 100 quid, the fine for no insurance is 300 quid and points.
It’s Quick Fix trying it on, they have a reputation for this sort of thing.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Here's the GOV.UK info., https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot

"You cannot drive or park your vehicle on the road if the MOT has run out. You can be prosecuted if caught."

The only exceptions are to drive it:

• to or from somewhere to be repaired
• to a pre-arranged MOT test

No mention of invalidating insurance.

On the subject of MOT's, I'd be interested to know whether "parked on the road" is considered as "use", or do they have to be caught in the act of driving.

Report a vehicle with no MOT, https://www.gov.uk/report-no-mot
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Our Gee wrote: Just been reading some general Rules regarding Vehicle Road Tax, Insurance and M.O.T. (Applies to UK only). The information I was reading was not from a Government source but from the Quick Fit Tyre and Service Centre.
Basically they are saying that when your Vehicle M.O.T. Test Certificate becomes expired your Insurance become invalid. As I will be required to have my Bike M.O.T Tested before I can Tax it (My M.O.T. Certificate expired in December 2020 and is on a S.O.R.N.) and if the above information is correct that would mean that I will be riding an uninsured bike to the Test Station and that even before that event my bike is un-insured in my garage. I have never came across this situation before so please can anyone offer advice.
Thanks.

Having worked in the insurance industry off and on for 30 years I can say with confidence that this is complete BS! The only exception would be if the policy has a clause saying that the vehicle had to have a valid MoT but I would be very very surprised if it did as that would exclude vehicles being driven to the MoT station and SORNed vehicles both of which are quite legitimate.

If your bike is unroadworthy it might be the case but not otherwise.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Many thanks for the replies, opinions and knowledge. It really does seem that, like "Sharkfighter" says, "Quickfit" are trying to generate business by "murkey" means.
So then , no panic, the RT is tucked away fully insured in my garage waiting for April and hopefully some warm weather and freedom to ride down to my chosen M.O.T. Testing Station for a (PRE-BOOKED) test.
Thanks again.
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

Why wait till April to bring the RT out, I'm out on mine tomorrow! I'm doing Blood Bikes and riding to the local hospital to pick up a bike :kacsint2:
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

Couple of post mentioned Fire and theft only insurance.  This is OK if the bike is SORN and kept of the public roads.  But on the public road you must have a minimum of third party cover.  If you have  Fire & Theft only cover will not be sufficient.
Graham88
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Graham88 »

Sharkfighter wrote: You can ride/drive your vehicle without an MOT if you are going to or from a pre arranged MOT or place of repair. If your vehicle doesn’t have an MOT and you have booked one and it subsequently fails and you are returning home this is perfectly legal, same with taking it to be repaired after it has failed an MOT.
What isn’t legal is riding without insurance so if you are using your vehicle to either get an MOT or repaired then YES your insurance is valid as you have an exemption in law to use your vehicle. In my 31 years police service I have never prosecuted someone for using their vehicle without insurance when the MOT has expired, the offence is using it without an MOT not using it without an MOT and insurance. The fine is a fixed penalty of 100 quid, the fine for no insurance is 300 quid and points.
It’s Quick Fix trying it on, they have a reputation for this sort of thing.
If the vehicle fails an MOT, especially with 'dangerous' defects, it is in an unroadworthy condition and it is absolutely not legal to drive on a public road; it must be towed.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 99 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Graham88 wrote: If the vehicle fails an MOT, especially with 'dangerous' defects, it is in an unroadworthy condition and it is absolutely not legal to drive on a public road; it must be towed.

Unless you throw caution to the wind and ride/drive it home to do the repairs yourself  (you've rode/drove it there after all)  :alas:  Don't give these dodgy garages the chance to dry bum you.

The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Graham88 wrote: If the vehicle fails an MOT, especially with 'dangerous' defects, it is in an unroadworthy condition and it is absolutely not legal to drive on a public road; it must be towed.

Not correct, it only applies if it is dangerous/unroadworthy.

If you have a non dangerous fault, say a blown bulb (and it is daylight), there is no requirement to tow or trailer
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Driving a vehicle that’s failedYou can take your vehicle away if:your current MOT certificate is still valid
  • no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
  • Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can drive.
    If you can take your vehicle away, it must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times.
  • Which are......
    Checks you should carry out
    Every time you drive you should check:the windscreen, windows and mirrors are clean
  • all lights work
  • the brakes work
  • Your vehicle’s handbook will tell you how often to check the engine oil
  • water level in the radiator or expansion tank
  • brake fluid level
  • battery
  • windscreen and rear window washer bottles - top up with windscreen washer fluid if necessary
  • tyres - they must have the correct tread depth and be free of cuts and defects
  • The handbook will also tell you when your vehicle needs to be serviced.
  • Tyre treadTread must be a certain depth depending on the type of vehicle:cars, light vans and light trailers - 1.6 millimetres (mm)
  • motorcycles, large vehicles and passenger-carrying vehicles - 1mm
  • Mopeds only need to have visible tread.
    There must be tread across the middle three-quarters and around the entire tyre.

Info taken from https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test
Last edited by 7vwh on Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

What happens if a vehicle is out of MOT and presented for a pre-booked appointment, then fails.
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Then it has no MOT. It’s a £50 non-endorsable fine if caught.