Spare key

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
rickmeister
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT, 2015
Australia

Spare key

Post by rickmeister »

Fellow RT owners...has anybody out there in cyberville ever used the plastic "spare" key to start their bike? From what I've read you need to pull part of the dashboard apart to get things happening. Alternatively, a direct replacement of the original battery operated key fob would be the go. But. I believe that they are very expensive to replace.
I haven't lost the main one yet, but I can't find the plastic replacement one. It's all part of getting old!
Viking John
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Re: Spare key

Post by Viking John »

When I had a 2011 twin cam I used the plastic key to start the bike (just to make sure it worked) I was told by the dealer that it had the same "chip" in it as the main key.
My 2019 shift cam RT did not come with a plastic key and I was told they no longer do them. (I deliberately did not choose the "keyless" option)
I hope this helps.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

I to have the silly bit of plastic key,how much is it to get it converted to a proper key fob for a keyless bike.Seems a cheap shot from BMW.
burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Just spoke to Cannon's, £217 for a new key.Oh how I laughed.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

rickmeister wrote: Fellow RT owners...has anybody out there in cyberville ever used the plastic "spare" key to start their bike? From what I've read you need to pull part of the dashboard apart to get things happening. Alternatively, a direct replacement of the original battery operated key fob would be the go. But. I believe that they are very expensive to replace.
I haven't lost the main one yet, but I can't find the plastic replacement one. It's all part of getting old!

I have used the plastic key to start the bike. No, you do not have to pull the dashboard apart.

John Bentall
Kim_Y
Bike Model and Year: R1200rt 2016
Been liked: 7 times
United States of America

Post by Kim_Y »

On the 2016 RT, the location is directly in the middle of the instrument cluster, it's very precise where the sensor is located, otherwise it will not communicate. I've included a photo for your reference. 
Attachments
__R1200Rt spare key.jpg
Last edited by Kim_Y on Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kim Y.
speedy

Post by speedy »

Does anyone keep their plastic "spare" key on their bike?  I'm thinking of taping it to somewhere out of sight just in case.  I have tested it's range and it will not start the bike from anywhere except right above the dash where shown in the photo above.

Any thoughts on keeping in on the bike?
2018 R1200RT / 2018 S1000XR / 2015 FZ-09 - Search all motorcycle forums at one time - www.MotorcycleForumSearch.com
Gavj
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2020
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Gavj »

"Does anyone keep their plastic "spare" key on their bike?"

I dont, not sure how that would go with your insurer if the bike was stolen?

Thinking about it, I may tape mine into my helmet, behind one of the removable cheek pads, I only have one helmet and obviously always have the helmet with me when using the bike....... or put it in my wallet... just a thought?
burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

burridge01 wrote: Just spoke to Cannon's, £217 for a new key.Oh how I laughed.

When i stopped laughing i went and bought the key,they done me a better rate-£208 :alas:

Picked the key up last saturday,got it home and the bike doesn't recognise it.Quick call to Cannon and they tell me to bring key and bike to them(no pre warning about this)Only problem is,the bikes on a sorn and i don't really want to tax it just for a ride to them.What a ball ache :eggs:
MikeS
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Just take the key back and ask for a refund. When the bikes back on the road go to another dealer and get a second key. 
burridge01
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

MikeS wrote: Just take the key back and ask for a refund. When the bikes back on the road go to another dealer and get a second key.

I'll give them the chance to get the key to work,but not untill i'm ready.I'll see if i can worm a bit of a discount of summit whiler i'm at it.