New 2020 or wait for the '21?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Vet_Racer

New 2020 or wait for the '21?

Post by Vet_Racer »

No USA dealers have the 2021 models yet (some don't even know pricing) and I have a dealer with a 1-mile Demo 2020 available and getting it would be about $4000 cheaper than the 2021. I know about the updates, but would like the opinions of those who already have either the 2019 or 2020. I'm coming from a K1600 GTL, if it matters. Thanks guys!
Vet_Racer

Re: New 2020 or wait for the '21?

Post by Vet_Racer »

BTW, the dealer with the 2020 told me that there is a recall and Brembos will be installed on this bike in February . . . and I guess all the ones with problems.
NMDan

Post by NMDan »

I have a '20. I love it and the brakes do not leak (so far). The only thing I prefer on the '21 is the headlights. Not so much for function but how they look. As far as the instrument panel, I like what I have. TFT doesn't move me, I don't really want integrated GPS and don't need adaptive cruise.
...Dan
Motor32
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT '23
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
United States of America

Post by Motor32 »

I have a '20 and when I bought mine, BMW had a promotion for a FREE top-case w/lock and brake-light thrown in (about a $2,000 value). See what they will do to sweeten the pot even more (the '21 is basically the same bike w/the TFT added). I like the '21 and might get it after my warranty is up. Then I can keep my top-case and put it on the new bike. The first year will show most problems and then all the bugs will be worked out of the following years bikes, hopefully. I paid $20,993. for the bike, then with Ilium engine guards and light brackets, taxes, etc, it came to $23,965 Out-The-Door, FYI.

Steve
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

I think unless you do a lot of night riding or REALLY want the LCD dash the 2020 is a GOOD bike to get:-) Peter
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

I have a March 2020 RT and would love the new LED headlight and adaptive cruise. BUT no way on god's earth would I put up with that awful TFT implementation, to get them!!  :alas:

I hear that not only does the TFT look like an afterthought just stuck onto the dash, but they are easy to pull off by low-lifes and cost a small fortune to replace.  >:(

I would grab the 2020 and as much discount as you can get out of the dealer and smile until BMW update the RT again and get it right!!

PS - If LED lights float your boat, I manged to fit 3x LED bulbs to my 2018 1200 and 2020 1250 RTs and they work well.
Last edited by TJRL on Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
Old Foxy
Subscriber
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 19 times
Great Britain

Post by Old Foxy »

I changed to a 2020 1250RT from a 2018 K1600GTL.  The 2020 bike is lovely, lighter and more economical than the K (which is a super bike to ride, as well). I like the 2020 dash layout (same as the GTL) and prefer it to the TFT display.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the 2020 RT (well, in fact, I did!).

Stay safe,

Old Foxy
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

TJRL wrote:
I would grab the 2020 and as much discount as you can get out of the dealer and smile until BMW update the RT again and get it right!!

They won't!!!!! New tech is here to stay.

Here are my personal views and YMMV.

Super-duper LED lights. Fantastic if you ride at night on unlit roads - I don't. However LED's may well be essential if you are coming from a GTL with swivelling HID lights. You might find the halogen lights of the 2020 disappointing.

Adaptive cruise. I found this difficult to use to my satisfaction in my automobile. I don't consider this an essential upgrade.

Throw away my BMW Navigator for the BMW Connected App on an iPhone/Android. Not much value to me as I use the Navigator on my commuter bike and I do not want to use two different tools. This is definitely a case of me being too old for the new technology. If something happens to my phone on vacation, I don't want to lose my GPS at the same time.

Digital dash a.k.a. "information overload". I don't need all the information that the youngsters seem to require. I have a Jap bike with a (rather pathetic and way too small) digital dash and I really dislike the constantly changing numbers on the digital speedo and the difficult to read rev counter.

You can probably make out that I would not upgrade to a 2021 even if it was free - and certainly not the $9,000 that I would have to add to my trade-in.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
guest6818

Post by guest6818 »

If you're going to buy the 2020, I'd wait until the '21 comes out. They'll drop the '20 price to get rid of the outgoing year. I definitely would not buy the '21 because I'm guessing that in '22 or '23, they'll add the things they left off, such as the blind spot and rear collision warning. The '21 multistrada already has those things; BMW stupidly left them off and only gave us ACC this year.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

My 2019 already has blind spot - its called turning your head.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

I priced the new 2021 RTLE model way to expensive now , i bought the 2019 model cannot understand this wow wee its got LED lights , nothing wrong with the lights on my model , i would get the 2020 model my friend and enjoy.   
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The blind spot warning could be a good safety feature. The more time spent looking forwards the better.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: The blind spot warning could be a good safety feature. The more time spent looking forwards the better.

Right until you rely on the tech and hit something. Got it in my car, but still doesn't stop me glancing to make sure. Really don't think the time it takes to glance into the blind spot before making a manoeuvre has any impact on safety going forwards. Would anyone rely on a blindspot system if moving out, I wouldn't. Doubt if IAM and RoSPA will modify their training to rely on blind spot mirrors. Also how would rear collision work? If your stationary does it give you a warning that something is going to hit you up the chuff, if so how far out do they work, does it give time to react? TFT wise, there is a chap on UKGSER making a metal bracket which helps with securing the TFT on GSs. Apparently the TFTs are now getting stolen off bikes and the GS replacement is £1200. Don't think he has one for the new RT as yet.
guest6818

Post by guest6818 »

Casbar wrote: Right until you rely on the tech and hit something.
You clearly don't understand the purpose of BSD (blind spot detection). Even with BSD, you still always turn your head. It just reduces the times you have to do so. You're more likely to hit something, by having to take your eyes off the road in front of you more frequently, due to not having BSD. If it's malfunctioning, it just means the warning light fails to come on, and you're back to turning your head more frequently. So, no increased risk due to relying on this piece of tech.
Last edited by guest6818 on Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

rongrimes wrote: You clearly don't understand the purpose of BSD (blind spot detection). Even with BSD, you still always turn your head. It just reduces the times you have to do so. You're more likely to hit something, by having to take your eyes off the road in front of you more frequently, due to not having BSD. If it's malfunctioning, it just means the warning light fails to come on, and you're back to turning your head more frequently. So, no increased risk due to relying on this piece of tech.

Yep, I clearly don't understand, I've only been riding professionally since 1969 and haven't hit anything yet when doing my shoulder checks. Like I said I have it in my car and don't find it useful at all. But each to their own. I'll wait in case they provide a coffee machine though as an optional extra
Last edited by Casbar on Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.