General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Re: New 2020 or wait for the '21?

Post by exportman »

rongrimes wrote: If it's malfunctioning, it just means the warning light fails to come on, and you're back to turning your head more frequently. So, no increased risk due to relying on this piece of tech.
So if BSD indicator does not light, would you know its failed? You may think there is nothing in the Blind Spot because the BSD is unlit and pull into another vehicles path at a critical time.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

exportman wrote: So if BSD indicator does not light, would you know its failed? You may think there is nothing in the Blind Spot because the BSD is unlit and pull into another vehicles path at a critical time.

You clearly do not understand how it works also :)
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Casbar wrote:
You clearly do not understand how it works also :)
Probably not only ever had a hire car with it.  It seemed to illuminate when there was something about a 3rd of the way along side the vehicle measured from the rear, but apart from that I know nothing.  SO are you telling me its impossible for it to fail without a notification?
guest6818

Post by guest6818 »

exportman wrote: So if BSD indicator does not light, would you know its failed? You may think there is nothing in the Blind Spot because the BSD is unlit and pull into another vehicles path at a critical time.

I don't think you read my post. I said that even with BSD, you still turn your head before changing lanes. The only thing BSD does is reduce the number of times you take your eyes off the road in front of you to check if a lane is clear. So, if the BSD is not working, the light simply doesn't come on and so you are back to always checking the lane next to you by turning your head. The only danger in a failing BSD is if you're stupid enough to rely solely on it and go ahead and change lanes without looking. Having BSD doesn't eliminate the need to turn your head and look. It only keeps you from turning to look when the BSD light is on. Apparently, this thought process is too complex for some. For such, it's best not to get BSD. It will only confuse you.
Last edited by guest6818 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

It only keeps you from turning head when on!!!!!!!!!!!
Whats the point? Mirrors and spacial awareness do that. If im not about to turn or change lanes i cant recall ever turning my head to see whats happening behund me!
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

rongrimes wrote:
. Apparently, this thought process is too complex for some. For such, it's best not to get BSD. It will only confuse you.

[size=78%]Just because people don't agree with your dependance on technology, [/size]8 posts and you start to throw insults around, look forward to your future contributions.
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

To bring this back on topic.

Hello, I am new around here and have an agreement in place to purchase a new leftover 2020.  Why agreement and not bill of sale?  Because they are still on a "Stop Sale" for brake recall.  My dealer assures me that there will be incentives aplenty when they are repaired and released for sale.  There are quite a few of these leftovers as the "Stop Sale" has been going on since October of 2020.

Regardless, I am quite pysched to get my new Couch Rocket!

Rick G
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Rick G wrote: To bring this back on topic.

Hello, I am new around here and have an agreement in place to purchase a new leftover 2020.  Why agreement and not bill of sale?  Because they are still on a "Stop Sale" for brake recall.  My dealer assures me that there will be incentives aplenty when they are repaired and released for sale.  There are quite a few of these leftovers as the "Stop Sale" has been going on since October of 2020.

Rick G

You won't be disappointed. There is no stop sale in Europe, they are just replacing any leaking callipers. I have a 1250 and we have two on our fleet none of which have any calliper issues. If you have seen the unboxing video of the new 2021 RT, it looks like it has the same callipers as the 2020, unless, BMW are fitting Brembo callipers with BMW Branding. There have been rumours that BMW are going back to Brembo callipers, but not sure if that is a North American thing.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

I was going to wait but the price of the new equivalent to my 2019 RTLE was way to high for my liking , i broached my local dealer about the leaking caliper problems and he assured me they have not encountered one yet , up to now my bike is fine .
guest6818

Post by guest6818 »

Casbar wrote:
[size=78%]Just because people don't agree with your dependance on technology, [/size]8 posts and you start to throw insults around, look forward to your future contributions.

And I know I'll see your future contributions. Appears no one can say anything on any thread without you chiming in. At 2,224 posts, time to give it a rest and let other people say something without you contradicting them or trying to be funny at their expense. It's clear you place a high value on your overly shared opinion. I had barely posted anything other than to express a like for BSD, and you felt it was necessary to supply a smart ass quip, "My 2019 already has blind spot - it is called turning your head." Was that necessary?
Last edited by guest6818 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

"Apparently, this thought process is too complex for some. For such, it's best not to get BSD. It will only confuse you."

"Was that necessary?"

Last edited by BoB21 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
GREATSCOT

Post by GREATSCOT »

"My 2019 already has blind spot - it is called turning your head." Was that necessary?

Gents, I read the above reply as typical Biker/British 'wry' humour and certainly would not take offence from such comments.  It's only banter,  I've only just joined the forum myself and everyone including CASBAR have been nothing more than friendly and extremely helpful to questions raised or even just in response to some of my own personal comments.

There are serious matters in life to be serious about ;)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

rongrimes wrote:
And I know I'll see your future contributions. Appears no one can say anything on any thread without you chiming in. At 2,224 posts, time to give it a rest and let other people say something without you contradicting them or trying to be funny at their expense. It's clear you place a high value on your overly shared opinion. I had barely posted anything other than to express a like for BSD, and you felt it was necessary to supply a smart ass quip, "My 2019 already has blind spot - it is called turning your head." Was that necessary?

I'll put it down to cultural differences, It was a tongue in cheek comment about turning your head! And has for my post count, I have been a member of this forum for 6 years, so not that high over 6 years. But I won't be loosing any sleep over your opinion of me, so crack on and thanks for the advice about giving it a rest, I'll sure consider it :)
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

I don't know Caspar, but realise he has a great deal of experience riding various RT models. To that end ,I value his opinion and input, but I don't always agree with some of his comments. This is a forum, mostly good humoured and informative. If we gain a little knowledge, make friends with like minded people ,even meet up socially etc, then all to the good.  You cannot please all of the people all of the time, indeed as the years pass me by, I sometimes think I am on a different planet with PC nonsense Govt squabbling etc . Just enjoy the ride, as life is pretty damned short.
Chesterbud

Post by Chesterbud »

Rick G wrote: To bring this back on topic.

There is no stop sale in Canada. When I bought my 2020 about 3 weeks ago they replaced the Hayes brakes with Brembo before delivery.

Rick G