Trouble getting into 1st gear

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
dseely830

Trouble getting into 1st gear

Post by dseely830 »

I am new to the forum. Just purchased a 2008 1200RT with 28K mile on it. Was always a Triumph rider but love this bike so much more and am really enjoying it EXCEPT when I first start my ride (engine just cranked up and in neutral) it does not want to go into first gear. I am persistent and FINALLY get it to engage but this is worrisome. Once the bike is on the road I have no issue and it shifts perfectly however if I stop (to eat, etc) it does the same thing next time I start it up.
Any feedback, suggestions? Thanks!
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Trouble getting into 1st gear

Post by Our Gee »

I had a similar problem with a 2008 Hexhead RT. This only manifested when engaging 1st from a cold start. My trick was to pull in the clutch and slightly ease the bike backwards (only a couple of inches) as I pressed down on the pedal. Once up to temperature it was fine. When you say it won’t go into gear do you mean you can’t achieve the full pedal travel when pressing down?. Does the clutch seem to be operating properly ?. Is there any excessive play in the pedal to gearbox linkage ?. At 28k mileage without any maintenance there may be some wear and slack in the two ball/cup joints and the shaft support bearings.
I would also add that I have owned three 1200 RT's (one Hexhead and two Twincams) and the gear change "action" felt different on each one. Apart from the small problem of the occasional 1st gear engagement my Hexhead had the best overall feel and change action.
Last edited by Our Gee on Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this thread on the R1200R Forum, https://www.r1200rforum.com/threads/can ... mes.22961/ same engine, clutch & gearbox arrangement.

There is some discussion about the "dry clutch" which some new owners might not be familiar with. It goes on to recommend various different techniques to overcome the problem.
Last edited by David. on Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dseely830

Post by dseely830 »

Our Gee wrote: I had a similar problem with a 2008 Hexhead RT. This only manifested when engaging 1st from a cold start. My trick was to pull in the clutch and slightly ease the bike backwards (only a couple of inches) as I pressed down on the pedal. Once up to temperature it was fine. When you say it won’t go into gear do you mean you can’t achieve the full pedal travel when pressing down?. Does the clutch seem to be operating properly ?. Is there any excessive play in the pedal to gearbox linkage ?. At 28k mileage without any maintenance there may be some wear and slack in the two ball/cup joints and the shaft support bearings.
Sounds very similar to my issue. When this is going on the shifter does not travel and won't go down into first. Funny thing, if I go upward it shifts into 2nd with no problem. Clutch seems to be operating as it should. Have no problem with any other gears and the 1st gear issue only happens from a cold start. Doesn't seem to have any extra play. The guy I bought it from was pretty meticulous with keeping the bike in great shape. I have all of the maintenance records. He sold me the bike only because he was heading overseas for a job. I've tried to contact him to see if he hadthe same issue but have been unsuccessful. I will try what you mentioned and see if that helps. I appreciate the feeback. Thanks.
dseely830

Post by dseely830 »

David. wrote: Found this thread on the R1200R Forum, https://www.r1200rforum.com/threads/cant-get-into-1st-gear-at-times.22961/ same engine, clutch & gearbox arrangement.

There is some discussion about the "dry clutch" which some new owners might not be familiar with. It goes on to recommend various different techniques to overcome the problem.

Thank you for the link. I've browsed through it briefly but will look at it in more detail a little later. Yes, I am new to a "dry clutch" and not familiar with it. Other than this ssue I love the bike.
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

If my 2009 does not want to go into 1st when it is cold I just let the clutch out slightly while apply normal pressure to the gear shift. Never fails, no big leaping around or grinding noises or other dramas.
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I’ve had a similar problem on my 2005 and 2013, sometimes it wouldn’t go into first when cold. The dealer warned me about this and all I do is release the clutch then pull it in and engage first, hasn’t failed me yet.  doesn’t happen when the bike is warm.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

dseely830 wrote: The guy I bought it from was pretty meticulous with keeping the bike in great shape. I have all of the maintenance records.

Unfortunately, BMW do not deem it necessary to include any maintenance of the gear change linkage in their schedule. And being well out of sight this can be overlooked. Of course this point may not be related to your own problem, indeed I know of another bike with a similar mileage to yours which has never had any such "extra" maintenance and yet does not have a problem. Personally I do this task once a year and I can definitely feel an improvement to the change action.
Sorry if this is drifting off your original problem.
Last edited by Our Gee on Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank123

Post by Frank123 »

Nick Evans sums it up exactly. Must be something about 2009 RTs
dseely830

Post by dseely830 »

You guys were right on with your responses. Tried what you said and had no problem getting into 1st. Thanks so much for the help!