New rules on filtering to front of traffic in France?

Going on a touring trip? please tell us all about it. Or do you have questions on touring feel free to ask away.
MotoSteve

New rules on filtering to front of traffic in France?

Post by MotoSteve »

I've just read a news thread that suggested that bikes will no longer be permitted to ride to the front of a queue of stationary traffic. If caught doing so there is a 134 Euro fine. Can anyone confirm that this is the really the case? With the reduction in the rural speed limit and potentially this change riding in France (whilst marvellous) looks to be increasing fraught.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: New rules on filtering to front of traffic in France?

Post by David. »

Does this article shed any light on the matter, https://www.drive-france.com/blog/new-m ... ules-2016/

"The official rules now state that riding in-between the lanes of traffic will be allowed only on dual-carriageways and motorways in places where the speed limit is 70kph or more when all lanes are at a standstill. All motorcycle riders should when doing this stay in the two lanes on the left and not ride faster than 50kph."

The reduction in speed limit on A and B roads of 10kph (6mph) is hardly a big deal, https://www.drive-france.com/blog/new-s ... ts-france/

[Try riding in Wales where lots of NSL (60mph) roads have been reduced to signed 40mph].
Last edited by David. on Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Does this apply to city streets as well?  Can't imagine waiting in line in Paris traffic. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

https://travelfrance.tips/driving-in-fr ... otorcycle/

"Lane splitting, also known as filtering, has been illegal but tolerated for many decades, but now the law, as an experiment, allows it in 11 “departements” (equivalent of French state). The departements are: Paris, Hauts-de-Seine, Seine-St-Denis, Val-de-Marne, Seine-et-Marne, Yvelines, Essonne, Val d’Oise, Rhone, Gironde and Bouches-du-Rhone. You need to use common sense, i.o.w. don’t fly past cars, respect security distances, etc
Penalties: €135 and 3 license points for non-respect of security distance, and €135 and 3 license points for changing lanes without indicators. These are the penalties the other “departements” can give you if you filter. However, it’s very rare."
PatM

Post by PatM »

The news that came out is that the experiment is over and officially lane filtering is not permitted. Since the results of the experiment were inconclusive there will be soon another period of experiment.

That being said lane filtering has been illegal in France but tolerated.
The news that it was now illegal was badly reported, that's all.

Carry on.
Ride safe!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is this what all the fuss has been about, https://motorcycles.news/en/lane-splitt ... in-france/

More info. here, inc. a video, https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/french- ... xperiment/

Peut-être Français un membre parlant pourrait traduire les conseils de la vidéo, merci.
Last edited by David. on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MotoSteve

Post by MotoSteve »

Well that explains things thanks- the proverbial storm in a tea cup!
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

On the other side of the coin, in California, the only state that allows filtering, it has now been officially sanctioned.  Almost had a heart attack a couple of years ago when a TV news station said:  "When we come back, a new law on lane-splitting!"  I reckoned that it meant it would be outlawed, but the opposite was the case.  Longest three minutes in my life!  I love my state!  As in France, apparently, there'd been no law against it, the only penalty being a civil suit for reckless driving in case of accident.  To my suprise, it said that, in the great majority of MC accidents in traffic, the rider had been in their lane, not filtering.  We've all heard the traffic reports of a huge traffic jam (tailback?) after a MC accident, and think public sentiment against filtering stems from waiting forever in traffic.  I don't think that I could ever move out of California.
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

jackronner wrote: On the other side of the coin, in California, the only state that allows filtering, it has now been officially sanctioned.  Almost had a heart attack a couple of years ago when a TV news station said:  "When we come back, a new law on lane-splitting!"  I reckoned that it meant it would be outlawed, but the opposite was the case.  Longest three minutes in my life!  I love my state!  As in France, apparently, there'd been no law against it, the only penalty being a civil suit for reckless driving in case of accident.  To my suprise, it said that, in the great majority of MC accidents in traffic, the rider had been in their lane, not filtering.  We've all heard the traffic reports of a huge traffic jam (tailback?) after a MC accident, and think public sentiment against filtering stems from waiting forever in traffic.  I don't think that I could ever move out of California.

Agreed. Filtering on the rt whenever I need to and safely in San Diego traffic, definitely a plus. I heard  lane filtering is also legal in Utah with caveats.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I'll be doing a lot of riding/living in France, from the U.S.  Anybody know how filtering or other tickets impact U.S. riders' licenses, registration, etc.?  I figure that, being a close neighbor, the UK (tho Brexited from the EU) might still have some reciprocity as to penalty points for Brits abroad, but I wonder if it would impact my California license.  Here, they can prevent you from renewing your registration for various offenses (e.g., failure to insure), debts to the DMV, and I'll need to re-register the bike since I'm leaving it with a friend between yearly tours thru Europe.

PatM

Post by PatM »

jackronner wrote: I'll be doing a lot of riding/living in France, from the U.S.  Anybody know how filtering or other tickets impact U.S. riders' licenses, registration, etc.?  I figure that, being a close neighbor, the UK (tho Brexited from the EU) might still have some reciprocity as to penalty points for Brits abroad, but I wonder if it would impact my California license.  Here, they can prevent you from renewing your registration for various offenses (e.g., failure to insure),debts to the DMV, and I'll need to re-register the bike since I'm leaving it with a friend between yearly tours thru Europe.
Unless it has changed recently there's no reciprocity with out of EU drivers licences. I got caught by speed cameras a few times in France and had to pay the fines and processing fees to the rental agency but no points on my DL. 
Just to avoid unnecessary fines, carry an International Driver's Permit with you, it's mandatory in some European countries. IDPs are available through the auto clubs (AAA) and must be provided with your driver's license if you get stopped.

Ride safe!
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

PatM,  Thanks for the info.  Gotta see if AAA will issue them to non-members for a fee.  I rented a bike over there 10 yrs ago.  The plastic license plate was a bit broken and sort of flapping in the middle of the first number on the plate, so I found a bit of back plastic to tape onto the rear, when I had the idea of taping it on the front, obscuring the number instead.  Not one ticket over a month (despite the lightning flashes of the cameras going off behind me).  Only stopped once on the autostrada to Rome, but they only made me take the plastic off (temporarily).  But, after returning the rental, I got ticketed on my friend's bike for ONE kilometer over the limit in Versailles.  Had to email a photo of my license and my jacket to get him out of the ticket - nothing showed on my license in the States.  BTW, my Sis lives in Vancouver;  where in Canada are you from?

PatM

Post by PatM »

Up here, the CAA issues the IDP. You don't have to be a member, the cost is $25 CDN plus the photo if you don't have a passport type photo.
This link answers most IDP questions. It should be the same in the US. https://www.caa.ca/services/travel/inte ... ng-permit/

I'm surprised you got nailed for 1 over. AFAIK it's supposed to be 5 over or more. They don't count the first 5. IOW 10 over is 5 over. As the French say c'est la vie.  :-X

I'm on the other side of the country, near Montreal. Enjoy your stay in Europe.
Ride safe!
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

PatM,  AAA says a non-member can get the permit for $20, photos for $10.  One year expiration date (tho' I think you can get it for two years, too).  The ticket I got was in-town, so maybe the 5 kph rule applies only to higher speed limits?  I was in Montreal two years ago, after visiting beautiful Quebec City (first time), my turn back point to San Fran on my 10k mile trip (for which I'd bought my first RT).  Vous etes Quebecois?  Je n'arrive pas a maitriser l'accent de Quebec.  A mon oreille, ca rassemble a l'accent de Provence un peu.  Merci.
PatM

Post by PatM »

jackronner wrote: PatM,  AAA says a non-member can get the permit for $20, photos for $10.  One year expiration date (tho' I think you can get it for two years, too).  The ticket I got was in-town, so maybe the 5 kph rule applies only to higher speed limits?  I was in Montreal two years ago, after visiting beautiful Quebec City (first time),my turn back point to San Fran on my 10k mile trip (for which I'd bought my first RT).  Vous etes Quebecois?  Je n'arrive pas a maitriser l'accent de Quebec.  A mon oreille, ca rassemble a l'accent de Provence un peu.  Merci.
I've never heard of 2 years but it would be nice not having to go back each year.
Oui je suis Québécois d'adoption. À mon oreille le Québécois sonne plus comme l'accent du Nord, de la Bretagne ou la Normandie.
Ride safe!