Has the cold got to it?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Has the cold got to it?

Post by Sharkfighter »

Went to turn my bike over today and it started to turn then just heard clicking, solenoid type. Gave it a couple of tries and it clicked then turned over and fired up. I'm suspecting that the battery has given up the ghost with the recent cold weather. This has happened once before this winter, when we had a cold snap.
I let it run until it was warm then switched off and restarted. It fired up, though it did seem to struggle to turn over.
I have an Oxford Optimiser connected and this was showing just over 12 volts and bulk charge, as opposed to maintain as I've seen it before.
Any ideas?
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Re: Has the cold got to it?

Post by Nick Evans »

Cold old battery. I see you say you have a 2013 bike, has the battery ever been replaced?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Can the Optimiser be safely used to check the battery voltage or is a voltmeter available.

At "just over 12 volts", the battery isn't fully charged. Fully charge the battery, then do a load test on it.

How to Tell if Your Battery Is Bad in 3 Easy Steps https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/how-t ... s-bad.html
Last edited by David. on Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharkfighter
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

Gents, thanks for your prompt responses.

In reply to Nick I got the bike second hand so I don't know if it's the original one or not.

David I'm suspecting that it's the battery, the bike has been on constant trickle charge with the optimiser connected. I have noticed, when it was warmer and after I'd been out on it when I connected the optimiser it would show just over 14 volts and go onto maintain. After today I noticed that it was showing just over 12 and bulk charge. I did start it last week and it didn't sound too good turning over then.

With your wealth of experience which battery would you recommend for a replacement?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sharkfighter wrote:Which battery would you recommend for a replacement.
GEL12-19 Exide BMW Motorcycle Battery - 51913, https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batt ... ide/51913/
Sharkfighter
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

David

Thank you for your reply
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having just read about, "Best motorcycle battery", perhaps an AGM vs GEL might be worth considering.

"So GEL batteries work great where constant power is needed – like in your home alarm system – but not as starter batteries. AGM is the best lead-acid starter battery."

https://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/yt19bl-bs- ... ttery.html
Sharkfighter
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

A development. Now that the warmer weather has arrived I've started my bike and it fired up no problem, no sign of the battery struggling. I took it to the dealer yesterday and he tested he battery in front of me and it passed, he then tested it under load, engine not running and it passed again.
The only explanation that he could think of was the optimiser conditioning the battery and that when I disconnected it the battery wasn't fully charged, hence the reason for it struggling to turn over.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this?