Buying advice/opinions

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
GREATSCOT

Buying advice/opinions

Post by GREATSCOT »

Hi all, new to the forum but not to BMWs having owned nine in the past in amongst another thirty or so other bikes and brands.

I am in the market for a 2019/20 RT and have narrowed it down pretty much to two bikes now, both exact same colour/spec, from Main Dealers, ex BMW management bikes and one just around 800 miles more on clock.  Only difference is one bike has audio fitted.  They are also near as can be the same price.

Appreciate this is a bit subjective but I'm trying to fathom out any real advantages of audio and what it facilitates other than radio obviously.  e.g. Can I listen to satnav directions through speaker?  Will it play any audio/music from sat nav VI through speakers?  Will it hold any value over a non-audio bike when I come to sell/trade in down the line?

I do have a BT helmet (Shoei Neotec 2 with built in Sena) and I'm unsure if audio just over complicates matters or is still an asset?  I find the built in FM in the Shoei can be pretty hit and miss if not anywhere near a built up area but in fairness I have not experimented too much with it yet.

Other than that I am dealing with two main dealers from distance I have no previous experience with.  Both have been okay but one just 'feels better' with their correspondence and demenour (selling the non-audio bike).  It is probably normal working practice but when I requested better detailed images of the audio bike late yesterday I was told it wouldn't be possible until Monday as it is in their prep centre at a different location.  I shouldn't let it bother me but it did make me wonder if the bike required anything addressed cosmetically?  Both bike are ex BMW Management as mentioned, I'd hope they are immaculate and well cared for being so?  The one dealer also informs me they have someone else viewing the bike on Monday-I was never invited to go and view it albeit I don't think that conforms with current regulations, not that I am being 'COVID Police'!  I get flow tested every three days because of my work and would be as safe a bet as possible if viewing was an option. Different subject, don't want to start a COVID debate.....

Anyway, apologies for lengthy post but I'm sort of stuck in the middle of a decision.  Appreciate it is down to me at the end of the day and usually my decision making it very pointed but not seeing/riding bikes before committing thousands of pounds changes things a bit.

Thanks for reading my post and any information, opinions and points from all you experienced owners and riders are warmly received and greatly appreciated.  Kind regards and stay safe and healthy. 
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Buying advice/opinions

Post by Casbar »

Nice choice to have. I had a 2014 with audio and to be honest, I hardly ever used it. I now have a 1250 without audio, I play music and get directions from the Nav to my Helmet bluetooth. I have a Shoei Neotec 2, but have a Cardo Packtalk and not the fitted comms, which doesn't make any difference to your question. The bike will have the extra cubby hole on the right side if that makes any difference to you. Not sure about value on selling, but if bikes are around the same price, that should answer that question. I never played anything through the speakers I always used Bluetooth. I would not pay for audio as an extra. But to some the audio is important. As for reception, did a trial once and the quality and reception between the bike audio and my helmet bluetooth radio were about the same.
GREATSCOT

Post by GREATSCOT »

Hi Casbar.  Thanks for the speedy reply.  Great to know first hand the quality between speakers and headset/bluetooth.
Do have a Navigator VI and if so do you pair both your phone and helmet to the satnav separately or do you pair your phone direct to your helmet?  I only ask as I've paired my helmet and phone to the NAV VI but just in the house so I'm not sure if the Nav has more 'controls' and functions once it is actually attached to the bike, if that makes sense!?
Cheers
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

With audio you can pair to the Nav VI and the bike, that way if audio is on, you can listen to music and Nav goes through the audio as well. If audio is off, you can still hear the Nav. Phone is paired to the Nav VI.

But I ride other bikes with different Nav so having my phone only paired to my Nav VI meant no phone if not on my own bike. So on my Blue Tooth, I have my helmet paired to my phone and to the Nav VI, and I also pair the phone to the Nav VI as well. When on my own bike with the Nav VI, if I get a call the Nav VI does its thing and takes priority so I see the incoming call on the Nav and have access to the phone book etc. But when not on my own bike, the phone goes direct to the Helmet for calls. Not sure if the Sena can handle this, but my Packtalk does allow the phone to be paired to both the Nav and my helmet at the same time. Also this allows me to have phone when off the bike with my Helmet still on, if it was just to the Nav, I wouldn't get phone if off the bike. (I am a blood biker so quite often I need the phone comms to the helmet without being on the bike). With audio, you can also not pair directly to the Nav VI, so phone to Nav, helmet to bike. You will get Nav instructions, phone etc, but you will always need the aux button on the audio if not using radio. The other downside of this is, if the audio is on, you lose the digital speedo on the dash, that didn't bother me though.
GREATSCOT

Post by GREATSCOT »

Makes sense Casbar.  And good point highlighted regarding digital speedo.  I do normally have the digital speedo up as I prefer the clarity rather than my 'tired' eyes focusing on the analogue speedo as I don't wear/require glasses for riding but my near sight is not so sharp as it was.  When I had a R1200RS I could bring the speedo up on my Navigator which was great for at a glance readout, I imagine I can do the same on the RT without too much fuss?
Thanks for the clarity, and good effort on the blood biking front. ;)
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Good point about the speedo on the Nav, I also have it displayed on the Nav, but I prefer the digital one now, I wear glasses now for riding :)
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

I'm someone who really likes to listen to the radio. I prefer Classic FM, Smooth FM and Radio 4 and really appreciate the quality and clarity of the Dension DAB+U digital radio that I have added to the bike and can change stations from the control wheel. I notice that the audio set up on the 2021 models finally includes a DAB feature. When touring on the continent I plug in a USB stick and listen to music on that.
I can listen to the radio through my Cardo Packtalk BT unit but also have a hardwired Autocom system when travelling two-up.

I added DAB because FM reception can be so-so. Some folk have great success with the FM radio, but I'm not one of them.

Like Casbar, most folk want to listen to Spotify or similar on a  smartphone connected directly to the helmet, so don't bank on getting your money back at resale time.

I'm pleased that some like the digital speedo, but it's not for me.

I have previously bought an ex-management bike with 1200 miles on the clock (from BMW Park Lane) and it was immaculate - as well as being a good discount off new.

Last edited by beemerboy9 on Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

To be fair, I listen to DAB and internet radio all the time, so if I had the option of DAB I would probably use it.
GREATSCOT

Post by GREATSCOT »

Thanks beemerboy.  I listen to the same radio stations as your good self!  I'll occasionally blast my head with some good Indy/Dance/Rock music, or any other genre but the more 'mature' I get it doesn't take too long to return to return to Radio 4 :music: .

I'm slowly coming round to just working direct from my iphone to my helmet, or via the NAV VI to listen to radio and/or Spotify on longer trips if it involves motorway etc .  Keeping it as simple as possible is my aim, although the audio system has benefits I feel it could just be another distraction when I can activate most of my requirements through voice commands with my Sena or manually via the Nav?  I personally always find it difficult to fully comprehend until I am sat on the bike and physically operating all the kit.  But, it doesn't help that I'm not that intelligent!.......

As always, appreciate the useful info.  I'm wondering what a decent buy is right now, difficult to say with the new model in showrooms and being released on 06 March according to dealers.  I'm looking at year old ex-management bikes with full spec, in Manhattan Metallic with very low miles for around £16k and that is with a matching top case including brake light in the price, along with delivery to the North East of Scotland.  I think, should I hold on longer or just buy now while the bike/s are available in the colour and spec I want and have one sat in the garage ready to go whenever COVID restrictions start to ease.  First world decisions! :-[

I may have to make a decision tomorrow morning.  I've already purchased a seat upgrade and about to procure a set of lower footpegs, be good to have a bike to fit them to :D
Chesterbud

Post by Chesterbud »

Hello everyone. Im new to the site and BMW motorcycles. I have owned and ridden bikes for close to 50 years now.

I just bought a new 2020 1250RT. I considered the 2021 but just didn't care for the TFT screen and don't need the ACC. Only thing I wanted was the GPS and among various discounting the dealership threw in a new Nav 6. To me paying the extra money for the 2021 didn't make sense. Mine has the sport windshield rather than the touring. I hope it provides the protection I need on the highway. Do any of you have comments on the sport vs touring windshield?

Thanks.....
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Welcome. I swapped my sport screen for a standard one. The sport screen was next to useless. But I know have a Werks Quiet ride fitted which is brilliant. So if I was you and in the States, I would keep the sports screen but buy a Werks, you will always be able to sell it on if you swap the bike. If you live in a hot State, the sports may work for you.
Talisker
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2020
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Talisker »

Hi GREATSCOT, Talisker from Inverurie here.
I did not spec the stereo on the 2020 RT I bought last year, I didn't use the ones I had on my last 2 bikes.  So I decided not to bother. As the guys have stated above there are good alternatives to the inbuilt system via Bluetooth tech.

Hi Casbar, at the risk of hijacking the OP's thread, I have fitted a touring screen from 7 Jurock (same as the Werks item I believe).  This is a huge improvement on the standard BMW touring screen.  Have not experienced the sports screen.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Talisker wrote: Hi GREATSCOT, Talisker from Inverurie here.
I did not spec the stereo on the 2020 RT I bought last year, I didn't use the ones I had on my last 2 bikes.  So I decided not to bother. As the guys have stated above there are good alternatives to the inbuilt system via Bluetooth tech.

Hi Casbar, at the risk of hijacking the OP's thread, I have fitted a touring screen from 7 Jurock (same as the Werks item I believe).  This is a huge improvement on the standard BMW touring screen.  Have not experienced the sports screen.

The screen from Jurock used to be the same as Werks, Terry from Werks used Jurock to produce, but they fell out over something, so now the Jurock and Werks are slightly different.
GREATSCOT

Post by GREATSCOT »

Talisker wrote: Hi GREATSCOT, Talisker from Inverurie here.

Hi Talisker, thanks for feedback and info.  Good to hear from you, I have previously been a neighbour of yours as I used to 'bide' in Newmachar!  Working down south at moment but home and residence still up your way, just further south now.  Bypass has made a brilliant  difference when parambulating around the city, I imagine you see the benefits of it?

Looking forward to getting an RT, and eventually getting some miles done on it. Did you buy yours from John Clark or elsewhere?
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

GREATSCOT wrote: Hi all, new to the forum but not to BMWs having owned nine in the past in amongst another thirty or so other bikes and brands.

Welcome to the group.
I have the audio package on my RT, but the speakers were mainly annoyances for other road users, so I always play the music through my intercom. The sound quality is MUCH better now.
More importantly, the loudspeakers take up very useful space...so now I have removed the loudspeakers and behind those mesh covers I have: Compressor, tyre repair kit, first aid kit, tool roll, tow rope. (plus some other small odds and ends). So a real good space.

As for the windscreen, the Werks quiet ride is simply amazing.