NAV VI Ghosting

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

NAV VI Ghosting

Post by Casbar »

There have been loads of posts on other forums about the Nav VI fault called Ghosting. Well mine started to do this in October. I cleaned the screen and all seemed well, haven't used it much as all our blood bikes have their own sat nav. Anyway yesterday I took my Nav VI along on a couple of jobs. After one pickup i went into categories to find a Hospital and the screen went mad, just flipping all over the place. Which is why they call it ghosting, it's like someone with pushing the screen and making the Nav change screens on its own. So I phoned Garmin as my Nav is around 3 years old. They asked me some questions and confirmed they knew about the issue on some Navs and there is now a fix, so new units should be ok. Options, were, buy a new one or pay them £145 and they will replace with a new refurbished Nav VI that is fixed. So that is the option I took, also had to pay £35 postage for recorded and insured delivery, even though I am only 18 miles from their HQ in Southampton and where the device was going. But computer says no drop off because of Covid and they have to put all incoming devices into quarantine for at least 3 days :)  They also told me my unit was made in 2017, even though I have only bought it from a BMW dealer just under 3 years ago.
Last edited by Casbar on Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackrat
Great Britain

Re: NAV VI Ghosting

Post by Blackrat »

I'm currently on my fourth nav iv, the original one bought dec 17, all for ghosting. The third unit lasted the longest, just under two years, and was replaced foc a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully this one will last. My wife's bike has the nav v which has been far more reliable so if I have any further issues I may well source one of those. Or I could always bite the bullet on a new RT... :)
Gary
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

My Nav V was rock solid for years as well
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

My Nav 6 is nearly 4 years old and has been flawless, up until now. When I use the Tracks that I have imported (from myrouteapp gold, saved as GPX 1.0) I'm getting ghosting, it moves to the next screen on it's own. I stop the track, set a single destination and it works fine..... ??? I'll try gpx 1.1 next time, see if that fixes it, or perhaps it's the new software version that I installed the oither day...?
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Mine started when I was following an imported route but then when I picked a location from one of the loaded routes, I was trying to nav to a hospital. There used to be a problem with MRA gpx 1.1, you used to have to mess around with it in the Nav or you ended up with a straight line route, not sure if this was ever fixed. I only use 1.0 and then change waypoints to shaping points in the device itself.
LAF

Post by LAF »

I am on my third but the first 2 were within a year of buying the bike a 17.  This one has been solid for 3 years now.  Same issue on the two I sent away.  My 5 NEVER had a issue and still lives in my car.  The 6 is just a much better screen.