RT recall fuel pump problems

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I see that there has been a recall in the USA for fuel pump problems, has anyone heard if this affects us in the UK?

New rounds of recalls on fuel pump (same as previous year models a few months ago) will be announced for R1200RT 2011 to 2014 https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/bmw-i ... uel-leaks/
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: RT recall fuel pump problems

Post by David. »

Sharkfighter wrote:Has anyone heard if this affects us in the UK?
There was an issue in the UK with some Camhead RT's. With the VIN Number, a BMW dealer can confirm whether or not that particular bike needs attention.

Thousands of BMWs need fuel fix? viewtopic.php?p=6931#p6931
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

I’ve just checked the VOSA recall page for a September 2014 RT & 2013 and the only recall listed is for the ESA piston rod
Last edited by 7vwh on Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I’ve just checked BMW.co.uk for outstanding recalls on my RT and nothing was showing, good news :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

As far as I'm aware, a "recall" is usually a safety issue, e.g. the Wethead ESA piston rod, where you have to stop riding the bike immediately.

The fuel pump problem was not a safety issue, therefore, I think it's covered by a "technical campaign", you could continue to ride the bike.

If there is any doubt, best just ring a dealer with a VIN Number.
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

David. wrote: As far as I'm aware, a "recall" is usually a safety issue, e.g. the Wethead ESA piston rod, where you have to stop riding the bike immediately.

The fuel pump problem was not a safety issue, therefore, I think it's covered by a "technical campaign", you could continue to ride the bike.

If there is any doubt, best just ring a dealer with a VIN Number.
Here in the USA, the possibility of a leaking fuel pump assembly and risk of fire IS a safety issue... I took the 2006 RT in today, the 09 RT goes in tomorrow...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

rangemaster728 wrote:I took the 2006 RT in today, the 09 RT goes in tomorrow.
Is a crack in the flange on the tank the potential problem.

Is a reinforcing metal ring fitted to rectify it.

jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Per the recall, last week they replaced the entire fuel pump, not just a reinforcing ring on the flange. This done in California, but I believe this is the same throughout the U.S. Can't understand why this recall wouldn't be issued in the U.K. since this is a critical safety problem.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:Per the recall, last week they replaced the entire fuel pump, not just a reinforcing ring on the flange.
"This safety recall involves the fuel pump, and potentially the auxiliary fuel pump as well. According to the defect report, motorcycles involved previously received a support ring repair under a 2014 recall number 13V-617, which also dealt with a potential leak at the fuel pump. Vehicles that received the earlier recall remedy, which did not have a fuel pump replacement at a later date, may have a fuel pump flange that cracks and possibly leaks overtime."
jackronner wrote:Can't understand why this recall wouldn't be issued in the U.K. since this is a critical safety problem.
My 2012 Camhead wasn't subject to the 2014 recall, might just make a phone call to a BMW dealer for clarification.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:My 2012 Camhead wasn't subject to the 2014 recall, might just make a phone call to a BMW dealer for clarification.
Allan Jefferies have confirmed that there are currently no "Technical Campaigns" on my 2012 RT and if there were any, they would let me know.

From what I can see, https://motorcycles.news/en/recall-bmws ... uel-leaks/ this recall could affect the global market.

The RT years concerned are 2005-2011 which will explain why in 2014, I got a letter about a 2010 RT I had recently part-ex'ed.
Last edited by David. on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

The way BMW explained this recall to me was this:

IF you have a bike that’s affected by this recall it is inspected first.

If there’s evidence of cracking at the flange, the fuel pump is replaced under warranty.

In addition, if the bike went in for the previous recall to fit the metal reinforcing ring at the base of the flange, the fuel pump will be replaced as well. This is irregardless of whether or not cracks have occurred.

Apparently their previous “fix “didn’t fix everything.

UPDATE...just picked up my 06, dropped off the 09.
It appears in talking to my BMW tech that there may have been two different reinforcing rings used on the fuel pump flanges; they are looking at one particular type as the indicator for ‘replace fuel pump assembly’...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rangemaster728 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

On my 2010, that's pretty much what my dealer told me. Inspect first and they will determine fix. Didn't see a crack, but must have had previous recall as needed to order a replacement fuel pump to fix the warranty. Good to get it done early and free, bad that it will be out of service a week, the first time in 2 months the weather breaks and I could be riding.
rangemaster728 wrote:The way BMW explained this recall to me was this:

IF you have a bike that’s affected by this recall it is inspected first.

If there’s evidence of cracking at the flange, the fuel pump is replaced under warranty.

In addition, if the bike went in for the previous recall to fit the metal reinforcing ring at the base of the flange, the fuel pump will be replaced as well. This is irregardless of whether or not cracks have occurred.

Apparently their previous “fix “didn’t fix everything.

UPDATE...just picked up my 06, dropped off the 09.
It appears in talking to my BMW tech that there may have been two different reinforcing rings used on the fuel pump flanges; they are looking at one particular type as the indicator for ‘replace fuel pump assembly’...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

David. wrote: "This safety recall involves the fuel pump, and potentially the auxiliary fuel pump as well. According to the defect report, motorcycles involved previously received a support ring repair under a 2014 recall number 13V-617, which also dealt with a potential leak at the fuel pump. Vehicles that received the earlier recall remedy, which did not have a fuel pump replacement at a later date, may have a fuel pump flange that cracks and possibly leaks overtime."

My 2012 Camhead wasn't subject to the 2014 recall, might just make a phone call to a BMW dealer for clarification.

I bought my ‘11 in ‘14 and mine got recalled for the left side handlebar switch gear (having a brain fart) also the dealer installed a new fuel pump.
robparky
Great Britain

Post by robparky »

Hi Sorry to resurrect an old thread but... Stopped at service station to refuel on way for trip up to York and saw petrol dripping onto forecourt. Returned home and stripped off panels to find petrol spray coming from bottom of flange on petrol delivery pipe. Disconnected the union clip in and the whole unit has come away, pushed up by non return valve(?). Looking at previous posts mine has the metal flange which i think was the upgrade in 2014 but that was before me. Bit hairy riding back with petrol dripping down onto a hot engine.

Had a call in with BMW dealer in case i can get it as part of the 2021 "recall" but they would have to have it in and charge diagnostic at £115 pro-rata plus delivery costs before submitting a claim to BMW if they confirmed it was replaced and has failed again. Record that the recall was done but too old for records where etc, Quoted £426 with £66 labour if not covered by BMW. See photos. Probably look to used unit and swop out.

Any comments (spare fuel pumps top section!) welcome, Rob
Attachments
Petrol leak 3.jpg
Petrol leak 3.jpg (410.98 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Petrol leak 2.jpg
Petrol leak 2.jpg (375.36 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Petrol leak1.jpg
Petrol leak1.jpg (290.81 KiB) Viewed 680 times
robparky
Great Britain

Post by robparky »

If I can get the top flange without the pump can it new swopped out with my existing pump etc? Thanks Rob