Indicators

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Indicators

Post by Sharkfighter »

I went out yesterday to do some blood bike stuff and discovered that when I indicated left the indicator wouldn't come on. It works right and on hazards but not left. After switching it a few times it would come one.
I left it all day and when coming home last night tried it again and it worked fine, came on every time.
Any idea what could be causing this I'm aware that there have been problems with switches in the past. Will a squirt of WD40 solve it or is it a more complex fix?
PeteM

Re: Indicators

Post by PeteM »

I wouldn't use WD40, it attracts dirt and tends to makes things worse. Probably worth trying some switch cleaner
Sharkfighter
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

PeteM
Thanks I’ll give it a go and hopefully it will sort it.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

The internals of the switch are something like in this photo.

On my 2012 Camhead, I've had both handlebar combination switches replaced.
Last edited by David. on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharkfighter
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I squirted the switch with some switch cleaner and took it out for a run yesterday. The indicator only worked intermittently again. Contacted the dealer today and I'm just inside the warranty, it expires on Sunday. I'm taking it in for them to have a look at it on Thursday next week, the dealer did want to keep it for a while to repair it but at the moment I'm using it a lot. If new parts are required then he'll order them and get it back in for a repair. Hopefully that's it sorted.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

There was an ongoing "Technical Campaign" where if one switch failed, they were both replaced. Might be worth asking the question at the dealers.
Last edited by David. on Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharkfighter
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

Took the bike into the dealers today and they had a look at it. The switch is worn and they tried to do a temporary fix on it, new switch ordered. Rode bike home and the fix lasted a couple of miles before it stopped working! Pointless taking it back to have another temporary fix done as the switch must be quite worn for it to last a short distance.
I've contacted the dealer and informed them, hopefully they'll pull their finger out and get the switch in quick and get it sorted. In the mean time I'll have to go retro and use arm signals :enjoying: