Windscreen rake - have you tried any mods to change screen angle?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Jack_the_Lad
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times
United States of America

Windscreen rake - have you tried any mods to change screen angle?

Post by Jack_the_Lad »

[size=15px]I understand that there are many screen options out there - I know, I've tried them all as my thinner wallet can attest - and none of them are perfect for me.[/size][size=15px][size=15px][size=15px]My complaint is turbulence and that seems to be the result of excessive distance between the trailing edge of the screen and the rider's head. [/size]
[size=15px]
[/size]
[size=15px]As you've probably tried, moving closer to the screen without changing the screen height diminishes turbulence and makes for a generally quieter ride.  [/size][size=15px]Since moving forward to the screen isn't very comfortable, I thought I'd investigate moving the screen further back by increasing the angle off vertical or decreasing the angle off horizontal, depending on how you like to view things. Adding a balance vent (from Rifle Fairings) helped but I think things can be improved.[/size][size=15px][size=15px][size=15px]Essentially, you need to add spacers to the lower part of the screen to tilt it back, but due to the geometry of the mounting system it isn't simply a case of adding a few washers.[/size][size=15px][size=15px][size=15px]Has anyone tried anything along these lines, and if so, with what results?[/size]
R1250RS • R1200RT • Commando 850 Mk 2a
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: Windscreen rake - have you tried any mods to change screen angle?

Post by jackronner »

By adding to the bar end a DIY wall bookshelf style "L" bracket (effectually giving me a handlebar grip about 5" to the rear) that allows me to lean back against my touring load (to save back pain), I found a turbulence benefit as well.  I adjust the windscreen rake downward so I can look over its top from my lower, backward-leaning position,  with my head quite a bit farther from the screen than the normal seated position.  I found a nice pocket of calm there. The higher, more vertical, the screen is, the more the wind resistance.  This creates more turbulence both over the top and to the sides.  The lower rake is naturally more aerodynamic, so another benefit to the lower resistance is greater gas mileage (tho' I confess I haven't calculated it).  Try it out by just briefly leaning back at speed while the cruise control is engaged, and if it's better for you, then add the bracket.  Easy on the wallet, too.  Hardware stores (ironmongers for you Brits)  have them with drilled holes so I just bought a longer bar end bolt, then threaded a length of old vacuum cleaner hose and packed some padding inside for a firm, fixed "grip". Works a treat, cost about $3 from your thinning wallet, and acts as a wrist-rest when your hand is on the regular grip.  I've put it on the left side to give my throttle hand a rest, but had to make sure it was short enough not to hit the tank or enter console when I turn the bars to the left when kicking the bike.  It's like a good girlfriend: cheap and comforting.  G'luck.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

From experience, I'd be careful with the windscreen mounting, the brackets below the screen are alloy and the threads easily stripped out with a steel screw.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

Jack_the_Lad wrote: I understand that there are many screen options out there - I know, I've tried them all as my thinner wallet can attest - and none of them are perfect for me.[/font][/size]My complaint is turbulence and that seems to be the result of excessive distance between the trailing edge of the screen and the rider's head.
adding a few washers.Has anyone tried anything along these lines, and if so, with what results?

If you have a chat with 'Realshelby', he has done a lot of work on these bikes and his advice is very useful.
He also makes the Werks Quiet Ride screen and I have to say that it is the best screen I have ever come across.
You say you have tried them all (brands of screens), have you tried this model with the correct sizing for your torso length?
I feel sure that with the correct screen chosen,  your screen woes will disappear!