General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 231 times
Isle of Wight

Air vests video

Post by Steve398 »

Looks interesting, we do wear air vests...

https://youtu.be/N2jZryt607U
espoe

Re: Air vests video

Post by espoe »

I saw this video yesterday. I had a Klim in the cart to purchase but now I'm taking a second to look it over again. For me the battery issue would be no problem. The displacement difference was what struck me.  I do have one question though and that is what happens with the tether if you go down with the bike?  Seem like you could already be on the ground before it inflates.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

espoe wrote: I saw this video yesterday. I had a Klim in the cart to purchase but now I'm taking a second to look it over again. For me the battery issue would be no problem. The displacement difference was what struck me.  I do have one question though and that is what happens with the tether if you go down with the bike?  Seem like you could already be on the ground before it inflates.

I have been wearing a Helite airiest for around 4 years. The key is getting the tether the correct length. It is recommended that whilst sat on the bike, the tether is just starting to stretch. There is enough give to enable you to stand and stretch your legs etc. As to if you go down, I got rear ended (more a push) and the bike fell over my vest did inflate, but I ended up a few feet away. If I hadn't left the bike then it wouldn't have inflated. There is now an electronic Helite vest, which you can also buy a fork sensor to match it too, so this will apparently allow inflation if you go down with the bike, the chap from Helite also said if your walking with your vest and fall over quickly the vest will inflate. The idea of an electronic vest appeals, but i see some downsides, cost, the canister is £50 compared with £15 for the tether model, the vest is more expensive and the extra fork sensor is £100. Plus you have to charge the vest, but there doesn't seem to be any issue with the vest staying operational for 12 hours. Think charge time is between 3-5 hours. I am happy at the moment with my tether model. But guess you can't cover off all accidents. A guy on another forum was using a Helite vest whilst off roading and had an off-road tip, which set his vest off and he claims he received whip lash. So you pays your money and takes the risks :)
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

A valid point, and happily having an off is not something that’s happened to me since 1977, but it’s ‘All the gear, all the time’ for me.
I agree that there is the possibility that the airbag may not fire before you hit the ground, but would after you and the bike separate.  From experience I feel that low sides are generally not as potentially hazardous as going over the top or high siding though.
In reality any off and you’re in the hands of the Gods, but you can only ever protect yourself to a certain degree with the best kit you can afford.
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

An example of how it saved a colleague from serious injury a few years ago (the tethered version).

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Fimageconcepts1.box.com%2Fs%2F1fp4ycj5s7ga315i2a4q34e2bm3a5opj
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

Bloody ouch! Trust he was ok?
7vwh
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2014
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 33 times
Great Britain

Post by 7vwh »

Aye, taken to hospital on a spinal board but the A&E consultant said the airvest had saved serious spinal and internal injuries 👍
Frank123

Post by Frank123 »

Have been wearing the Helite Turtle air vest for past 4 years. No problem in Irish weather conditions. Only when summer touring in France and Spain it was an additional fatigue issue due to the weight and heat generated on long rides. Still when travelling at over 80kph with the screen down as low as possible the cooling effect of the airflow helped and overall the advantages out weight the disadvantages.
ymfb

Post by ymfb »

Like Casbar I’ve been wearing mine for four years, I’m pretty much made up my mind to update to the e version with fork sensor.  It’s rare I go out without but I have forgotten to attach the tether a few times.
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

We’ve used HitAir vests for many years and have been easy to get on and off, never triggered inadvertently and have been a great addition to our riding gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

I’ve worn my Helite Turtle for 3-4 years now and would feel naked without it. Remembering to connect the tether is really no different than fastening your seatbelt in a car. I was knocked off my bike at a standstill by another rider and the vest inflated before I even hit the ground.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic