SOS warning

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
GvG

SOS warning

Post by GvG »

Hi there,

Last thursday I bought a new leftover 2020 R1250RT. Went for a 150km trip the following sunday but after about 20km the SOS warning appeared on the dashboard and it didn't disappear the next 130km. So now when I put the ignition on I still get that SOS warning (didn't use the bike since).

I know when riding in a remote area that SOS warning shows up once in a while, but at one point it disappears, but mine didn't.

Somebody had the same experience maybe?

Greetings from the netherlands

Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 261 times
Been liked: 218 times
Isle of Wight

Re: SOS warning

Post by Steve398 »

I've recently bought an 18 plate 1200RT which has sat in my garage without turning a wheel for the past 6 weeks, then at last I got a hospital appointment that allowed me to lawfully go ride the bike  ;D

I'd done about 4 miles when I looked down and saw the orange triangle with an SOS on the display, so I stopped, panicked, crawled all over the bike and then rang the Dealer, who told me that it was a probably a poor signal for the SOS sim on the bike, and contact them if it didn't disappear so that they could have the bike in to reset it.

So it looks like yours may need a reset?

Hope this helps....
Steve
GvG

Post by GvG »

Hi Steve,

Did your SOS warning disappear eventually?
ymfb

Post by ymfb »

I had this occur a number of times on my 2019 GSA and it would only go off when the dealer reset or updated the firmware.  The 2020 RT did it just this week, but turned off again after about 5 miles.

Good luck
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I kept an eye on mine over the 35 mile journey (I went the long way around) and the warning did disappear after a while, only to return occasionally.
Now I know it's nothing drastic I'm not worried about it too much, but I'll get them to reset it when I'm next passing.
MikeS
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 44 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Do you have to pay a subscription fee for the SOS feature or is it included for life (of the bike) in the option price?

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MikeS wrote: Do you have to pay a subscription fee for the SOS feature or is it included for life (of the bike) in the option price?

Free - [size=16px]The intelligent emergency call is available for an unlimited period of time and can be used without incurring additional mobile charges, e.g. roaming in the available European countries (see network coverage: bmw-motorrad.com/ecall or[/size][size=16px] [/size]
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

I have a 2019 1250rt and after a few weeks the sos light came on. had it replaced under warranty. When the dealer tested it, turned out the mic was the issue. They could hear the call centre but the call centre was not hearing them. Just take it back they will sort it for you. 
GvG

Post by GvG »

What did your dealer replace under warranty, the TM (telematica) module underneath the fueltank, or only the SOS button on the handlebar?
GvG

Post by GvG »

Update: dealer did a "hard reset" of the SOS system yesterday, and after that the SOS warning didn't appear anymore on the dashboard the whole day.

Today I went for a ride, and after 3 kilometers the SOS warning appeared on the dashboard and didn't disappear once again  :nervous: .
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

I wonder how many folks buy an RT used, start it up and sit frozen because of the blinking "Brake Failure" light that doesn't stop until you've driven a bit before braking?  I suppose a dealer would warn you about it, but if you buy it used, the owner may have just forgotten about it. 
GvG

Post by GvG »

What has that to do with the SOS warning on the dash??
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

GvG wrote: What has that to do with the SOS warning on the dash??

The OP was about an unexpected warning on the dash, so was that comment
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

jackronner wrote: I wonder how many folks buy an RT used, start it up and sit frozen because of the blinking "Brake Failure" light that doesn't stop until you've driven a bit before braking?  I suppose a dealer would warn you about it, but if you buy it used, the owner may have just forgotten about it.

Well...I would suggest 'read the manual'.
Steve398
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

The bike’s booked in for the 16th April to hopefully sort it out.

I’ll update when they’re done.