Damn headlight bulb replacement!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Damn headlight bulb replacement!

Post by jackronner »

Never seems to get easier, nor do my hands get any smaller.  Do you think it was designed to get us to use BMW dealers service? 

I've tried various techniques (and am willing, please, to hear more), but it seems best to me to first affix the new bulb with the clamps.  Have tried attaching the wires before inserting the bulb, but the wires keep getting in the way of the snap-down clamps.  Frustratingly, you get a better view of the right lamp assembly by turning the bars all the way right, but more hand space by turning it left. 

The one thing I do recommend highly is using an approximately 8" locking surgical hemostat.  Helps in removing the wires and replacing them, as well as positioning and holding the bulb in place as you engage the wire clamps.

Have they improved this design in post-hex head models?
Dartman340ta

Re: Damn headlight bulb replacement!

Post by Dartman340ta »

Xxx hands I took the left side covers off moved the horn  2 hours cuzzing I got it in there.  If they would have the wire lock hang to fall down it would have been much easier. I think.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:Have they improved this design in post-hexhead models?
No, it's the same for a Camhead. Removing the upper fairing panel (4 screws) improves access especially on the RHS where the cruise control unit is.
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

I remove the side panels, mirrors and dash surround, this makes access way easier. I takes me about 10 minutes to remove all the plastic (16 screws total), and about 10 minutes to change all 3 bulbs, with another 10 minutes to get all the plastic back on. I have a 2009 machine and XL hands. Removing the screen makes getting to the 2 screws in the top of the dash easier, which is an extra 6 screws and 2 minutes to remove or replace.
rangemaster728

Post by rangemaster728 »

I have 2 Hexheads...I use a short chunk of cut garden hose stuck onto the back of the lamp and sit in the front of the bike and reach around underneath while I’m looking through the headlight assembly. I replaced enough of these that I’ve gotten manageable at it without tearing up my hands LOL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jackronner
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Rangemaster,  I had the same idea about the hose but couldn't find the right size, so used the hemostat while looking from the front as you did.  I take it you put the bulb in before attaching the wires (the hemostat's particularly helpful with that since your hand doesn't block your view).  It's been suggested that removing the upper fairing (four screws) helps.  O for the days of just one headlight!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

H7 LED

What a great idea, just tried some 1/2" ID garden hose over the two spade connectors on a H7 bulb, works a treat.
Last edited by David. on Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.