Has BMW changed the turn signals to auto-cancel on completion of a turn?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Re: Has BMW changed the turn signals to auto-cancel on completion of a turn?

Post by simbo »

Where's the best place to get blinker fluid for these self cancelling indicators?.. Whilst upholding the T'&C's of the manufacturer's warranty of course!

Ps. Answer's by post card so I have written proof  ;)
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Apparently BMW will not be adding indicators to their cars from 2022.

Customer research revealed that owners never used them and considered them an unnecessary addition.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

simbo wrote: Where's the best place to get blinker fluid for these self cancelling indicators?.. Whilst upholding the T'&C's of the manufacturer's warranty of course!

Ps. Answer's by post card so I have written proof  ;)

Lol did anybody actually ride before technology. But remember the mirrors are rubbish and we need blind spot technology, because turning your head is so old school :)
Nick Evans
Bike Model and Year: 2009 R1200RT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Nick Evans »

There is a difference between "turns off after a fixed distance or time" and "cancels after a turn has been executed".
I agree about the turns off after 300 yards thing, I started riding with IAM and was told I should be signalling at the 300 yard board, when in the past I had waited until 100 yards, so I find now I have to indicate twice to get off a dual carriageway.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 38 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Casbar wrote:
Lol did anybody actually ride before technology. But remember the mirrors are rubbish and we need blind spot technology, because turning your head is so old school :)

Incredibly how a light in a mirror is easily seen but a flashing light on dash aparantly not.
jackronner
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

ymfb,  Unless it fails entirely, the type of unit that cancels the signal immediately after the turn is completed will get it right every time.  I'm not talking about lane changes, exiting, etc., when the speed/distance factor enters into the equation.  The turn-cancel feature's been on all cars for well over half a century.  Don't see why folks think it's best to cancel it manually on a bike when they'd never do it in their car, especially when signaling confusion on a bike may mean death, not a fender-bender. 
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Sullivj wrote: Apparently BMW will not be adding indicators to their cars from 2022.

Customer research revealed that owners never used them and considered them an unnecessary addition.

And the "Best Post of the Thread Award" goes to Sullivj.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 38 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Cars have self cancel indicators need to check mine ive always just cancelled after turn.
Methos1979

Post by Methos1979 »

Nick Evans wrote: I dont know of any motorbike which has auto cancel after a turn, am I missing something in the OP?

The two 2013 Harley Davidson Road Glide's I had before my RT had self canceling turn signals. I was a little surprised that and HD had something more technologically advanced than the BMW!
jackronner
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Nick Evans, I know my Honda V65's all had them, and believe that my Yamaha Virago 920 and my CB 750 did as well.  It's a simple mechanism.  Again, if all cars have them, why not bikes, where the consequences of an unintended signal can be disastrous.  I'm getting the feeling that some folks have the attitude that if you forget to cancel manually you deserve to get injured.  Harsh.