Dump keyless ignition?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
wethead

Dump keyless ignition?

Post by wethead »

Does anyone knows how to change a keyless ignition to the retro: "need a key to start the bike"?
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Dump keyless ignition?

Post by beemerboy9 »

wethead wrote: Does anyone knows how to change a keyless ignition to the retro: "need a key to start the bike"?

Thankyou for being clear and unambiguous about the solution.

What is the problem?
John Bentall
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

For a 1250, https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsM ... d=09082020 keyless ride isn't listed in the 77-Accessories as a retrofit option.

Can't see a keyed ignition switch listed, are all 1250 RT's keyless?
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

David. wrote: For a 1250, https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=60124&rnd=09082020 keyless ride isn't listed in the 77-Accessories as a retrofit option.

Can't see a keyed ignition switch listed, are all 1250 RT's keyless?

No. base model has a key but if you tick some options you need keyless. I prefer key myself after reading problems on forums. You know you have key with you as you can see it and bike running. Would always be checking otherwise and my central locking doesn't always engage on one pannier. If I had keyless would not know if it was locked or not. In fact wonder how many people have actually checked all locked up?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BoB21 wrote:Base model has a key.
Found this keyed ignition switch, https://www.ascycles.com/bmw/2019/R1250 ... 0code.html

If keyless ride is a factory fit option only, (not retrofit),  then it may not be possible to remove keyless and replace it with a keyed ignition switch.

Found this thread on ukGSer, https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthrea ... Conversion not conclusive either.
Last edited by David. on Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

wethead wrote: Does anyone knows how to change a keyless ignition to the retro: "need a key to start the bike"?

Whats the issue with keyless? I've only had one problem in the last two years and that was the key coming up low battery on the dash. 1 minute job to change and the batteries are as cheap as chips.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I had a duff fuel cap. But that was sorted within a few days and I could get fuel in by undoing two screws. Otherwise nothing. You can still lock your panniers with the key if you want, so no difference locking wise to having the key, you can still use the auto lock on both or not as you wish.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

MikeS wrote:
Whats the issue with keyless? I've only had one problem in the last two years and that was the key coming up low battery on the dash. 1 minute job to change and the batteries are as cheap as chips.

I had a keyless key fall out of a pocket during a ride. The amber key icon illuminated, but of course the bike carries on running...until you stop the engine. Then you are screwed!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

bandytales wrote:
I had a keyless key fall out of a pocket during a ride. The amber key icon illuminated, but of course the bike carries on running...until you stop the engine. Then you are screwed!

Yeh remember your post, but that isn't anything to do with keyless, that is to do with not securing the fob, so not really a bike fault, operator error. I have had keyless on a Harley and my latest 1250 and all being equal, haven't managed to lose a fob yet. I also carry the emergency key in my wallet, so could get home if the worst happened.
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

bandytales wrote:

Not if you keep the little plastic key in your wallet. (Sorry Casbar beat me to it.)

Probably screwed when you turn up at the dealer and have to order a new remote key though.

Last edited by MikeS on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 37 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Why not secure the key in the ignition barrel. Just a random idea.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

BoB21 wrote: Why not secure the key in the ignition barrel. Just a random idea.
I might be being stout here but how would i fit my keyless key into an ignition barrel that doesn't exist.
Little-Brit

Post by Little-Brit »

I think Bob21 was being sarcastic..

I have keyless and have to say that whilst it's neat it's hardly essential.  I seem to have coped for the previous 45 years without too many problems.  I might have mislaid the occasional key (well quite a few actually) but never whilst I've been riding the bike the key was for!
scunny12
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT LE 2015
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 36 times
Great Britain

Post by scunny12 »

Another bit of kit that really we can all do without. Is it so hard to turn a key, like we have managed for decades? 
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 194 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Little-Brit wrote: I think Bob21 was being sarcastic..

As I said,stout :-[