Looking for a smaller BMW tourer.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Re: Looking for a smaller BMW tourer.

Post by beemerboy9 »

jackronner wrote: David,  I like the look of the Guzzi, but it's only about 45 lbs. lighter than the RT.  The F800GT seems a good fit, but emlevy pointed out engine problems were not remedied 'til 2013, which puts them in the same price range with a first gen RT1200 I've seen in researching French prices. Plus, the RT will nearly always come with hard bags and even a trunk, so I won't have to spend time and expense fitting the bike out.

Weight difference is greater than that. If a bike comes with luggage as standard then this must now be included in the declared weight of the bike.

Guzzi V85TT Travel (with bags) 243kg - without the bags it's homologated at 230kg. So 29kg or 64lbs less than the RT.
John Bentall
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Our Blood Bike Group has two F800GTs they are 2018 models. To be honest we can't wait to get rid of them. For all year around use, we have had to buy, taller windscreens and hand guards, they do not offer the weather protection on the RTs. On top of that the servicing is more expensive, the 28k service is £1k for a full service and belt change. But my mate has a F800ST and he loves it. I have ridden it for around 4 hours and I wouldn't buy one, never ridden our F800GTs as I have always had the RTs.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

simbo wrote:
Yamaha Tracer 900GT would be my choice, the BMW f900xr te a close second,V-strom 650 if you're not too bothered about power but want a bike that just does everything pretty good.

Agree with this and would add the Yamaha Tracer 700. These are popular bikes in France. Any dealer will fit bags (OEM. Givi or Shad) and a top-box and an automatic chain oiler for you.
John Bentall
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

I have to agree with Caspar, my blood bike group has several 800GT and they're the most uncomfortable bike I’ve ridden. I’m 6’2” and I find that I’m sitting in a cramped position, my wrists start to ache after a while. There's no weather protection. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, give me an RT anytime.