Looking for a smaller BMW tourer.

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Looking for a smaller BMW tourer.

Post by jackronner »

Not that familiar with older Beemer models.  I'd like one that comes with hard cases and a trunk, something like an 800cc.  I'd be buying it in France, and don't really need a long-distance tourer like my RT, and don't have time to find bags, trunks windshield, etc.  Plus, my rule is not to ride a bike you can't pick up when loaded, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to pick up a 1200RT in about 8 yrs. when I'll be 78!  Any[size=78%]body know if an older 1000cc would be appreciably lighter than the RT?[/size]
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Looking for a smaller BMW tourer.

Post by Our Gee »

If your only concern is picking up a fallen bike I would stick with the RT. There will be nearly always help at hand if the situation arises. I can recall dropping our fully loaded K1200LT (now that is REALLY heavy) in France and we only had to wait a few minutes before some local builders stopped and helped get things right side up. There was no way I could have lifted the old girl myself. And that was twenty years ago when I was a sprightly Fifty Xxxxxxx years young. Incidentally, I believe that the older RT’s tend to be heavier than the later ones.
PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Our Gee wrote: There will be nearly always help at hand if the situation arises.

I would agree with that. I dropped a (hired) fully loaded Indian Roadmaster at the Hoover dam, that thing weighed over half a tonne, not an exaggeration, and about four or five people helped me get it upright.

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:I'd like one that comes with hard cases and a trunk, something like an 800cc.
How about a BMW F800 ST or GT.

You'd have to go back a bit to get a 1000cc R100RT.

Last edited by David. on Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
bandytales

Post by bandytales »

jackronner wrote: Not that familiar with older Beemer models.  I'd like one that comes with hard cases and a trunk, something like an 800cc.  I'd be buying it in France, and don't really need a long-distance tourer like my RT, and don't have time to find bags, trunks windshield, etc.  Plus, my rule is not to ride a bike you can't pick up when loaded, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to pick up a 1200RT in about 8 yrs. when I'll be 78!  Any[size=78%]body know if an older 1000cc would be appreciably lighter than the RT?[/size]

Hi  Jackronner. A couple of years ago I went over to Wales and spent some time enjoying an 'Off Road' training course. The bikes they used were R1200GS's R1200GSA's and F800's. One of the very first things they got us to do was to drop the bikes on their sides and then 'taught' us how to pick them up. I was shocked to find the hardest bike to pick up was the feather weight F800GS. The reason is that (like most bikes) when the fall over, they are pretty much horizontal. Unlike the boxer, which was pivoting about the cylinder head and the pannier. So by the time you have done some fairly lightweight lifting, the bike is already more than 30 degrees upright. So no it was just a case of levering it the last part. The F800 was a deadweight from horizontal!
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

3 Ways to Pick Up a Fallen Heavy Adv Motorcycle BMW 1250GS 850GS, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMdKYH8D0OI

With hard side cases fitted, this should help when picking up a fallen F800 ST or GT.

Engine bars are available for Authority models.

Last edited by David. on Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

The F800GT checks all of your boxes. 800cc, can be fitted with factory locking hard bags and top case, light weight (about 470 lbs), excellent fuel mileage, ABS, rear ESA, and of course belt drive.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Does anybody know about the reliability of the Rotax engine?  At 85 hp with the lighter weight, I'd think it's pretty quick.  Also, does it have standard handlebars, so that they can be rotated up or down?  BTW, I'd also welcome suggestions for other makes.  Don't expect to be doing more than 400 miles on any given day.

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

jackronner wrote: Thanks for all the suggestions.  Does anybody know about the reliability of the Rotax engine?  At 85 hp with the lighter weight, I'd think it's pretty quick.  Also, does it have standard handlebars, so that they can be rotated up or down?  BTW, I'd also welcome suggestions for other makes.  Don't expect to be doing more than 400 miles on any given day.

There is naff all difference in the weight. F800gt 213Kg, R1200Rt LC 229Kg, same source for both.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

jackronner wrote: BTW, I'd also welcome suggestions for other makes.  Don't expect to be doing more than 400 miles on any given day.

Yamaha Tracer 900GT would be my choice, the BMW f900xr te a close second,V-strom 650 if you're not too bothered about power but want a bike that just does everything pretty good.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
emlevy
Bike Model and Year: 2015 R1200RT
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by emlevy »

Yes, standard bars, and they can be rotated or heightened with risers as needed. No reliability issues with the Rotax engine that I’m aware of, though the cam chain tensioner needs a few seconds at startup before it pressurizes. The gearbox is a sweetheart.

Here’s my ‘13:

[img]http://https://i.imgur.com/CGYLIl5.jpg[/img]

[img]http://https://i.imgur.com/obuXkSK.jpg[/img]

Visit www.f800riders.org for forum input.

Some first-gen (‘06-‘08) F800ST’s had issues with piston slap, stalling, burnt stators, and failed rear wheel bearings. These were all rectified when the F800GT was introduced in 2013. The newer ones have ride-by-wire.
Last edited by emlevy on Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
2015 R1200RT | 2012 R1200R Classic
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

Thanks, guys.  Gave me a lot to chew on.  BTW, saw a video of a guy picking up his K1600 with his back to the bike!  Seemed a good idea, in that when it's getting towards vertical you can just lean back and use your weight and legs more instead of your back and arms. 
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

jackronner wrote:I'd also welcome suggestions for other makes.
Sticking with shaft drive, how about a Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel.

Last edited by David. on Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jackronner
United States of America

Post by jackronner »

David,  I like the look of the Guzzi, but it's only about 45 lbs. lighter than the RT.  The F800GT seems a good fit, but emlevy pointed out engine problems were not remedied 'til 2013, which puts them in the same price range with a first gen RT1200 I've seen in researching French prices. Plus, the RT will nearly always come with hard bags and even a trunk, so I won't have to spend time and expense fitting the bike out.

beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

PeteM wrote:
There is naff all difference in the weight. F800gt 213Kg, R1200Rt LC 229Kg, same source for both.

Same source, but different measurements. 

F800GT 213 kg (wet weight),R1200RT Hexhead was 229 kg dry (no operating fluids) but 259 kg wet weight. (Yes, I have the 2005 model year brochure to prove it!)

We had a similar shock horror story when the liquid cooled RT's were announced. The shock horror was that the wet weight increased from 259kg to 274 kg, but everyone (especially UK dealers) apart from German speakers were unaware that the German regulations had changed. The 259 kg was without measured without panniers but the 274 kg was with panniers. The official weight of the K1600's altered at the same time, but there were no changes apart from a new colour scheme.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall