Engine valves cover gasket

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
PatM

Engine valves cover gasket

Post by PatM »

[size=14px]I did the valves on my R1200 RT last week. Everything is good except I saw a few drops of oil leaking from the valve cover after my first long ride even though it was torqued to spec. Just being curious, I searched and can't find an answer, is there an expected life for the valve cover gasket? [/size]
[size=14px] [/size]
[size=14px]I'm at 93K KM which is about 50K miles. The bike is a '16 model. [/size]
[size=14px] [/size]
[size=14px]I have new gaskets on the way.[/size]
Ride safe!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 334 times
Great Britain

Re: Engine valves cover gasket

Post by David. »

Were the drops of oil fresh or could they have been residual from when the valve covers had been removed and replaced.

The reason I ask is that after 6 years and 25.5K miles I did change the valve cover gaskets on my 2012 Camhead. Looking back, I think it was just oil which hadn't been wiped off between removing & refitting the valve covers. There was no dripping, just smearing along the joint and fins of the cylinder itself.

I'm not aware of any service life for the gaskets. In 50K miles on a Wethead, the valve covers will have been off/on 4 times every 12K miles. On my Camhead, in 24K miles the valve covers will have been off/on the same 4 times every 6K miles.

Previously, I've owned a Hexhead which did 39K and a Camhead on 38K, neither had the valve cover gaskets replaced and they will have been off/on 6 times.
Last edited by David. on Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
PatM

Post by PatM »

It was fresh oil. I wiped it and had some more later when I got home.
Ride safe!
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Not quite sure which engine you have but it might be worth checking the Inner Seal, (if applicable on your engine) the one which fits around the Plug tunnel. If these are not positioned correctly oil can leak out. I know this because after a Main Dealer service I arrived back home with my right boot covered in oil. The main Valve Cover gasket was not at fault.
Last edited by Our Gee on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.