TFT and General stuff on the 21 R1250RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: TFT and General stuff on the 21 R1250RT

Post by Casbar »

Even if you use MRA as I do. The maps you use for Garmin are HERE maps. But as already stated, it doesn't really matter what maps you use to plan your route, using HERE just ensures the route you plan will be exactly the same on a Garmin device, Once it is exported as a Gpx it will load regardless of what you used to plan the route on.
Ledders12
Great Britain

Post by Ledders12 »

Thanks DavidMck
A great help. I have pretty much the same set up except I use Sena 20s headsets, but what I can't seem to work out is how to get the music controllable from the wonderwheel, (I'm using Spotify),I.e forward/back track/pause etc.. Any idea? I guess it's something in the setup or how you activate the app but I'm now losing the will to live with it.  I have asked BMW but as yet, no reply.  Great tip for radio too, thanks.
TFT software version is 011_007_035, so may be version 7?
Last edited by Ledders12 on Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

Try playing music using a media player, I use Samsung music or Amazon music and can scroll forwards or backwards through tracks. 

Ledders12
Great Britain

Post by Ledders12 »

Thanks. I have tried using Samsungs music app and did have some control, but my music is on Spotify and I don't think there is anyway of transferring it over. At the end of the day the media should work with any app, but it is a BMW so I guess I'll have to make do 😔
macadan

Post by macadan »

Just sorted out my Nolan B601R communicator connected to the TFT...this is from Nolan support;

[size=00]I confirm you B601 R system can be paired up and connected to the audio system of BMW.[/size]
[size=00]We kindly suggest you:[/size]
[size=00]1- Make a RESET of the B601 system[/size]
[size=00]- Make sure the N-Com system is turned off.[/size]
[size=00]- Press the “n” key and keep it pressed for 4 seconds, until you hear the voice announcement “Configuration”.[/size]
[size=00]- Press the key “▼” until you hear the voice message “Reset”.[/size]
[size=00]- Press the “n” confirmation key to restore all the factory settings of the device.[/size]
[size=00] [/size]
[size=00]2- Delete from the bike all the Bluetooth pairings already stored[/size]
[size=00]3- Delete from the smartphone (if involved) all the Bluetooth pairings already stored[/size]
[size=00]4- Follow this procedure: [/size][size=00]https://www.n-com.it/en/content/bmw-tft-2018-b601[/size]
In order to use the fast forward/reverse in media, make sure you start and play your media (I use YT Music) before you connect the Connected app to your bike!
wethead

Post by wethead »

Have any of you guys been able to use the app Waze simultaneously with the GPS on the TFT...HOW?
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
Cruisincruzan
Been liked: 1 time
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by Cruisincruzan »

I can’t answer your question...yet, but I’m going to try this when I pick up my bike on in 2 days. I bought a used iPhone that I will keep in the phone compartment with my connected app. I use a Cardo PackTalk Bold and I paired my “regular” phone to it on the second phone pairing. I will use the used phone for the TFT functions, including navigation and run Waze on my regular phone and see what happens.
Ute’s Chauffeur
wethead

Post by wethead »

Cruisincruzan wrote: I can’t answer your question...yet, but I’m going to try this when I pick up my bike on in 2 days. I bought a used iPhone that I will keep in the phone compartment with my connected app. I use a Cardo PackTalk Bold and I paired my “regular” phone to it on the second phone pairing. I will use the used phone for the TFT functions, including navigation and run Waze on my regular phone and see what happens.

But don't you have to be connected to the internet with both phones to do that?
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
Cruisincruzan
Been liked: 1 time
Virgin Islands (USA)

Post by Cruisincruzan »

What I’m thinking is that the cubby phone has the maps downloaded into it and it communicates with the TFT through BT and gets its position through a satellite feed so I don’t need a cell signal, it will not be set up to make or receive calls. My regular phone will communicate to my cardo through BT, can get both a cell signal and satellite and will give the info directly to my cardo. At least that’s my theory. I’ll give it a shot and see what happens. I wish they had just put carplay into it.
Ute’s Chauffeur
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Cruisincruzan wrote: What I’m thinking is that the cubby phone has the maps downloaded into it and it communicates with the TFT through BT and gets its position through a satellite feed so I don’t need a cell signal, it will not be set up to make or receive calls. My regular phone will communicate to my cardo through BT, can get both a cell signal and satellite and will give the info directly to my cardo. At least that’s my theory. I’ll give it a shot and see what happens. I wish they had just put carplay into it.

CarPlay would have been the best solution. Then there are plenty of navigation apps that could used instead of BMW re-inventing the wheel. However I have an old fashion 2014 bike so for me its all academic.
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

Took the RT for its service yesterday, this is what I learned:

1. ACC is brilliant, I had not been down a motorway on the bike but had to yesterday to make my appointment. I simply set cruise to 75mph and did not have to touch the throttle until I left the motorway. As I came up behind slower traffic I got the car icon on the display to show that ACC had picked up a vehicle, all I did was indicate and pull out, the bike resumed to cruise speed. its like having a cushion of air between you and the vehicle in front. Every vehicle should have this.

2. I am too small for a GS, at 5' 8" and 29" inside leg, I don't fit. The dealer set the bike to min settings but that only works when the bike is running. Throwing my leg over it was embarrassing and I do believe there were tears in my eyes as we moved off after getting the warning that it will be £500 if I drop it (insurance excess).

3. The TFT dash on the GS is a smaller version of the RT in that there is no engine temperature gauge and odometer etc. is all under the favourites menu. Dealer said it had been like that for some time now, so don't expect BMW to make any changes to the RT TFT.

4. On min suspension settings the GS bounces a lot, bum was sore after about 30 minutes and more tears fell when I got off it, ( 2 hours later) I thought I would not be able to walk properly again.

4. So glad to get back on the RT. Since I made the settings BMW recommended on the phone I have had zero connectivity issues.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Thanks for the updates David.  I've ridden 18 miles without connectivity so far, then spent a day (well, it was raining) configuring my connectivity options...

What I have learned so far:-

Unlike, say, a Nav VI the number of devices which can be paired with the TFT is limited.  I have 3 helmets, two with Sena devices fitted and one with a BMW "fit for all" comms.  The two Senas are the ones I use the most (A Schuberth with built-in comms and an Arai with Evo 10C).

I first paired my iPhone - no apparent problems with that as yet.

Next I paired the Shuberth Sena as my main helmet.  Then I paired the Arai as the passenger helmet.  Although BMW do not appear to describe what "Passenger helmet" pairing actually does, it seems that, if both helmets are present, audio from the media system (my phone, not getting suckered into the radio again) plays through both helmets.  If only one helmet is present, that appears to be connected to the TFT as the "rider's" helmet, whatever its designation.  I'm hoping that is the case, we shall see once out and about.

Either way, I had to set up intercom pairing between the helmets themselves.  The TFT is not involved in that it would seem.

I also downloaded the "Europe" maps onto my phone - nearly 20GB.  There seems to be some confusion on the Facebook thread regarding this procedure - some folk have got hold of the idea that the bike "wifi" will do it for you, so that mobile data is not used.  I've tried to educate them.....

That's it so far - too cold and wet to get my new baby dirty....

As far as adaptive cruise control is concerned, I have that in my car and it is useful sometimes, but I decided I could live without it on the bike and didn't wish to wait until they had a bike with it in stock.
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Regarding the "status line", it's interesting that the manual appears to show that you can have both Fuel Tank Level and Range showing at the same time, but it is not actually possible to achieve this in practice  ???

[attach=1]
Attachments
Pages from R_0L01_RM_0720_01.jpg
keith1200r

Post by keith1200r »

I have seen fuel and range when the low fuel warning comes on
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

Interesting - I'm still on my first tank so I haven't seen the light.  But if they can display them then why not all the time?  Bizarre.