Whats your opinion on the new 2021 RT?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
WimR

Whats your opinion on the new 2021 RT?

Post by WimR »

Hi guys,

I've recently bought a new 1250RT, model 2021 in Manhattan Metallic.
I ordered the bike in October 2020 and got it two weeks ago.

I did a test drive with the 2020 model, and it was just fine. It was a silent, comfortable ride, but it had a bit of a dated design.

When I got my new bike and drove off for the first kilometers, I was a bit surprised about the engine's noise/exhaust.
It is a lot louder than on the previous model. In fact, for me too loud to drive without ear protection.

I called it in at the dealer and was told that I wasn't the only one who had complained about it.

Then I looked at the navigation system. Since the integration with the old BMW Navigator is gone, you have to rely on the BMW app.
Okay, let's say that's progress, as long as we have all the "old" navigator features.

And here comes the disappointment...

• When you use an iPhone 12, it doesn't charge in the designated box. Without a charger, the battery is drained in 3 hours.
  • If you have a larger phone, it won't fit into that box.
  • The app. needs to be active all the time. When I'm getting a message from WhatsApp, Messenger, a VoIP call, or whatever, the app goes to the background, and I lose my navigation screen. I have to stop and reconnect the app again.
  • The speed limit displayed on the screen is often wrong.
  • You don't get actual traffic information.
  • Speed traps or trajectory speed control is not displayed as it did on the previous model.
To solve these issues quickly, I had to install a Ram mount phone cradle with an integrated inductive charger on the handlebars.

Furthermore, the DAB radio doesn't function as it should. After 30 seconds, it switches to an alternative FM station.

The TPM is constantly off with 400 grams, and the bike indicates "Low fuel" while I still have 8 liters in the tank.

I've contacted BMW about these issues, but I think the new RT isn't fully developed yet.

Does anyone of you experience these issues?

Cheers,
WimR

R1250RT model 2021 and a KTM 1290 Super Adventure S
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Whats your opinion on the new 2021 RT?

Post by Casbar »

Thanks for the update, there are a few on here with the new bike. I am surprised the iPhone 12 doesn't charge, mine charges on a wireless pad both at home and in the car. I assume your phone charges wirelessly elsewhere. Also isn't there a usb plug, so can you charge the phone by cable instead? The other comments are best addressed by others who actually have the new bike :)

Just did a bit of googling and it seems some iPhone 12s have an issue with wireless charging and Apple have been replacing them. Looks like early phones have a problem. A lot of people have been complaining that the phone will only charge wirelessly if you re-boot it, some have also tried shutting off the delayed charging option can't remember what it is called but it is the option that slowly charges the phone overnight. But as I said, I have had no problems with mine, but I only got the phone last month. It charges in my car fine although cable is better. I don't have a 21 bike to test though
Last edited by Casbar on Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WimR

Post by WimR »

Thanks for your reply.

It's not an Apple issue. Charging works just fine on my desk, in my car, or on the Ram mount Charger.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

WimR wrote: Thanks for your reply.

It's not an Apple issue. Charging works just fine on my desk, in my car, or on the Ram mount Charger.

So can you plug a usb lead in and charge in the cubby hole? Is the RAM mount charger wireless then? I am at a dealer next month to have my 1250 serviced I will try my iPhone on the demo bike. But it would be good if someone else with an iPhone 12 can comment. Also maybe try posting on the LT forum, there are a few new owners on there to see if anyone else is having phone charging issues. https://www.bmwlt.com 
WimR

Post by WimR »

No, the wireless Ram charger is connected to the battery with a dedicated power supply adapter.
You can't access the charging port in the designated box for the phone and close the lid without damaging the cable.

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

WimR wrote: No, the wireless Ram charger is connected to the battery with a dedicated power supply adapter.
You can't access the charging port in the designated box for the phone and close the lid without damaging the cable.

Guess I won't be swapping my 1250 then as I have just bought a new iPhone 12 :)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Have I understood this correctly, to get navigational instructions (like a sat. nav.) on the TFT screen you need an iphone.

How much does a suitable phone cost.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: Have I understood this correctly, to get navigational instructions (like a sat. nav.) on the TFT screen you need an iphone.

How much does a suitable phone cost.

No, you need to run the BMW connect app on your phone, any phone can run the app. The Navigation is via the app. You can charge your phone in the right cubby hole, which has wireless charging. But the OP who has an iPhone 12 won't charge and apparently you can't charge it via a lead from the usb port in the cubby hole, because the lid won't close with the lead connected. So I would think there are a lot of iPhone 12 owners who won't be able to charge the phone from the cubby hole and from what I have read, without charging, the phone only lasts around 3 hours as the app is active the whole time whilst navigating. Hopefully BMW will sort, it would be good to hear if any other iPhone 12 owners are having the same issue. As I read on google Apple iPhone 12s have been experiencing wireless charging issues.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I'll stick with my Nokia 100 and Garmin Zumo 660, when paired together on my 2012 Camhead, they work just fine.
The phone battery lasts for days and the sat. nav. charges off the cradle/mount on the bike.

Is all this development really an improvement and is the newest the best.
hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

The problem with these updated bikes is the technology is getting to intricate , i know everyone is different but i buy a bike to ride and enjoy , far to much emphasis on streaming , phoning , sat, nav , is this why some accidents occur ? i wonder .
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

Why does the battery drain so quickly? I've just driven into North London and back using Google maps as a satnav on my phone. 4 hours with the  screen on full brightness and it's still showing 50% charge.

Is the connect app that power hungry?
Last edited by MikeS on Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

So far, most of the discussion has been about a phone, what about the bike itself or is it just a facelift 2019 model.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

David. wrote: So far, most of the discussion has been about a phone, what about the bike itself or is it just a facelift 2019 model.

is this you trying to be humorous, or don't you know how to use google and youtube :)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

WimR wrote:When I got my new bike and drove off for the first kilometers, I was a bit surprised about the engine's noise/exhaust. It is a lot louder than on the previous model.
Has the bike got a stainless steel or chrome exhaust system and silencer. If s/s, is this a change from the 2020 model.
Last edited by David. on Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeS
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 49 times
Great Britain

Post by MikeS »

hammo wrote: The problem with these updated bikes is the technology is getting to intricate , i know everyone is different but i buy a bike to ride and enjoy , far to much emphasis on streaming , phoning , sat, nav , is this why some accidents occur ? i wonder .

I would say that sat nav is a safety feature in today's traffic.  I remember trying to memorise maps and getting constantly lost in the middle of busy towns/ cities (especially abroad). Making last minute changes of direction to follow road signs and then still having to pull over to get the map out for the umpteenth time. Tried using a tank bag map pocket for a while, wasn't for me.
Not much to with the OP but if a major selling point of the new bike doesn't seem to function then possibly relevent.
Last edited by MikeS on Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.