Whats your opinion on the new 2021 RT?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
WimR

Re: Whats your opinion on the new 2021 RT?

Post by WimR »

The reason why the app is so power-hungry is that you have a Bluetooth connection and a wifi connection to the bike at the same time.
The info displayed on the screen of the RT is casted from the phone to the bike.
The bike is equipped with a stainless/chromed exhaust system.
R1250RT model 2021 and a KTM 1290 Super Adventure S
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

WimR wrote:The bike is equipped with a stainless/chromed exhaust system.
Is the bike a Base model (with an option) or LE. The Base model silencers are s/s, chrome is an option but standard on the LE.

Was wondering if the 2020 test ride bike had a different system on to the new 2021 bike.
Last edited by David. on Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyL434

Post by AndyL434 »

Hi I have had my 2021 rt for a week now and covered 300 miles. Can't comment on the iPhone issue as I don't have one but my Huawei p20 mate fits the ' cubby hole' nicely [size=78%]and charges without issue. I have managed to connect phone to tft and tft to senna 50s etc and as a result had sat nav working without issue and music from my phone playing via Spotify app. The only issue is you have to restart the bmw app when you stop and turn off the ignition. Not had to take a phone call yet so don't know if this will knock out the app and the sat nav. This is my first bmw and first twin so different to the triples I am used to. Enjoying the bike so far but I find anything other than the damping in auto and the mode in dynamic to be bouncy and wollowry. Love the low down torque and far easier to monouvre at low speeds than my tracer gt, easier to move around on the drive to. Some of the reviews refer to the bike being super smooth but I am not sure what they are comparing it to as at standstill the screen isolates big time although disappears on the move. Obviously we are all getting used to the tft etc but I am impressed overall with my bike. Already got a very light scratch on one of the panniers so I am having them covered with 3m clear protective wrap next week not sure how they will look but can always remove it. As ever stay and ride safe. [/size]

beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

WimR wrote: Hi guys,

I've recently bought a new 1250RT, model 2021 in Manhattan Metallic.
I ordered the bike in October 2020 and got it two weeks ago.

I did a test drive with the 2020 model, and it was just fine. It was a silent, comfortable ride, but it had a bit of a dated design.

When I got my new bike and drove off for the first kilometers, I was a bit surprised about the engine's noise/exhaust.
It is a lot louder than on the previous model. In fact, for me too loud to drive without ear protection.

I called it in at the dealer and was told that I wasn't the only one who had complained about it.

Then I looked at the navigation system. Since the integration with the old BMW Navigator is gone, you have to rely on the BMW app.
Okay, let's say that's progress, as long as we have all the "old" navigator features.

And here comes the disappointment...

• When you use an iPhone 12, it doesn't charge in the designated box. Without a charger, the battery is drained in 3 hours.
  • If you have a larger phone, it won't fit into that box.
  • The app. needs to be active all the time. When I'm getting a message from WhatsApp, Messenger, a VoIP call, or whatever, the app goes to the background, and I lose my navigation screen. I have to stop and reconnect the app again.
  • The speed limit displayed on the screen is often wrong.
  • You don't get actual traffic information.
  • Speed traps or trajectory speed control is not displayed as it did on the previous model.
To solve these issues quickly, I had to install a Ram mount phone cradle with an integrated inductive charger on the handlebars.

Furthermore, the DAB radio doesn't function as it should. After 30 seconds, it switches to an alternative FM station.

The TPM is constantly off with 400 grams, and the bike indicates "Low fuel" while I still have 8 liters in the tank.

I've contacted BMW about these issues, but I think the new RT isn't fully developed yet.

Does anyone of you experience these issues?

Cheers,
WimR

If you don't have inductive charging the presumably you did not order option "Comforttelephonie met uitgebreide Smartphone Connectiviteit"

I'm sorry to hear you have problems with DAB. As far as the UK is concerned the Audi with DAB option is on hold - we cannot order it.
John Bentall
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

AndyL434 wrote: Already got a very light scratch on one of the panniers so I am having them covered with 3m clear protective wrap next week not sure how they will look but can always remove it. As ever stay and ride safe.
It will be the best thing that you do to the bike  ^-^  - if only for the peace of mind.
John Bentall
WimR

Post by WimR »

[size=0px]If you don't have inductive charging the presumably you did not order option "Comforttelephonie met uitgebreide Smartphone Connectiviteit"[/size]
[size=0px][/size]
[size=0px]The bike is fully equipped with all possible options.[/size]

R1250RT model 2021 and a KTM 1290 Super Adventure S
Ledders12
Great Britain

Post by Ledders12 »

Interesting that AndyL434 has found that you need to restart the BMW app when you turn off the ignition, that might explain some teething issues/frustrations I've been having - seems like that might become annoying if having short stops, for filling up for fuel etc, has anyone else found this and do you know if the media app requires the same restart too?
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

I don't think you need to restart it, I can't be sure cause it probably is phone dependant.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 and the App starts up after I stop and re-start.  It can take up to a minute for a map to display which is a pain as you might need to know your directions.
Ledders12
Great Britain

Post by Ledders12 »

Thanks, mine is an S10 too, so I'll monitor it to what happens, it would be a pain to have to restart it each time though, if that is the case
JamesH920

Post by JamesH920 »

Picked up my new 2021 RT the other night. Love the bike all around.

Will post about the TFT in the TFT thread.

The positives so far:

1250 engine has loads of torque.

Front fairing and windscreen provides fantastic wind and weather protection. Rode from hot and sunny to colder hard rain in the dark getting her home. You can control airflow into the cockpit by adjusting the windshield letting air in through the duct under the windshield.

Adaptive Cruise Control! I got comfortable with this right away. Worked flawlessly. Passing by turning the indicator on and or accelerating then back into your lane! All works. Even helped me out when I was distracted for a few seconds looking at the TFT slowing me down safely when a car in front started to slow down.

Headlights! Dark hard rain, winding roads! (Not my preferred riding time) So bright! Lean angle headlight showed my way around turns and kept my high beams away from the on coming cars.

Ride Modes.

Quick shifter. 

Coming from a GS, jumping on a new bike and riding 4 hours home in different weather conditions and into the night. Once I settled into the RT, I felt very confident, safe and comfortable. It’s clear a lot of engineering went into safety and comfort on all weather and road conditions.

The negatives so far:

Hard seat. Ordering a Sargent's seat ASAP.

Up shifts from and back into 1st still feel a bit agricultural.

The stock Michelin tires feel pretty hard coming from riding Metzlers. Maybe tire pressure.

No TPMS on the preconfigured 2021s currently shipping out in the US. Not sure what the damage will be to get BMW to add this? Wished I had them on my first long ride.

Didn’t care about not getting a radio but didn’t realize this meant no speakers either. I mainly use my sena in my helmet which works fine with the TFT but would enjoy maybe using the speakers at slower speeds from time to time. Not sure if this is an option to have BMW add later?

Stainless Steel muffler sounds decent at idle and full out but it shows the road dirt quickly since it’s the only shiny metal on the bike. Probably will discolor over time. There is a cowling covering the slip on connection that is chrome.

A little hard to get my iPhone X in and out of the storage box. Handle bars need to be turned away and then you need to pull the little locking tab back. The door and opening just needs to be about 20% bigger.

For others coming from a GS, the shorter wheel base and smaller wheel diameter makes the RT feel a tad bit squirrley at higher speed turns. This might just be something to get used to and not a bad thing. 
Eu_rider

Post by Eu_rider »

hammo wrote: The problem with these updated bikes is the technology is getting to intricate , i know everyone is different but i buy a bike to ride and enjoy , far to much emphasis on streaming , phoning , sat, nav , is this why some accidents occur ? i wonder .

It’s not so much the technology, it’s BMW trying to control the technology so that the owner can’t. (-:
Hors Piste

Post by Hors Piste »

I'll be picking up my new LE in "Sport Style" next week, moving from a 2019 LE. Not having the radio is fine by me - I paid extra for it on the 2019 bike, thinking it would be nice to have that extra cubby hole but not realising how much space the radio would take up under the seat - I'd sort of assumed it was under the left hand side panel :( . Never used it anyway.
I notice that the Sport Style has a shorter screen than the other models - has anyone had a chance to compare the two height options? I almost never used the 2019 at its full height, but am wondering if I will miss having a barn door.
Been reading the comments about the TFT with interest and trepidation - I tried my iPhone 11 Pro Max in the cubby - it will just fit without its leather sleeve, no chance with the sleeve on so that's a pain. Wonder how long the battery will last in my pocket if not actually using navigation? Does the connected app have to be running to get phone calls?
Last edited by Hors Piste on Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexasCountry
Bike Model and Year: 2021 R1250RT
United States of America

Post by TexasCountry »

Hi y’all, I just picked up my new 2021 R1250RT in Alpine White.  It only has 3 miles on it but I’ll report back as soon as possible on anything I find.
DavidMcK

Post by DavidMcK »

I have had my blue 21 RT now for about five weeks, its going in for its first service next week.  These are my feeling about the bike.

1.  It is a fabulous machine, gearbox is sweet, fairing much improved and the TFT is designed by someone who has never ridden a motorcycle.

2.  I am coming to terms with the TFT and have managed to get things settled with it, so now I am starting to really enjoy riding the motorcycle which is what it should all be about.

I will put what I have learned about the TFT on the TFT thread to keep everyone informed.

All in all, I feel that everyone will enjoy the jump to the new bike after they have settled themselves with the new TFT and Connectivity App.

hammo
Bike Model and Year: 2019 1250rtle
Been liked: 20 times
Great Britain

Post by hammo »

Interesting reading these comments , one i have noted is that some riders still complain about the seat comfort , how can you spend millions designing a bike and not listen to customer complaints and still produce a lousy seat ? also the windscreen , why do BMW not give you the option of which screen you require before you purchase a circa £20,000 pound motorcycle ? the only concern i have about the new TFT screen is that it could lead to distraction and accidents , time will tell hope everyone enjoys there machines .