Which Sat. Nav. have you got & why?

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?

Which Sat. Nav. have you got?

Garmin Zumo 220
No votes
Garmin Zumo 660
12%
BMW Nav. V
24%
TFT with Nav.
2%
BMW Nav. VI
43%
TomTom 550
12%
Garmin XT
5%
TomTom Rider 1
No votes
TomTom 400 Series
No votes
TomTom Rider 2
No votes
TomTom Rider 5
No votes
TomTom Rider 450
2%

Total votes: 42

Rambler358
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Which Sat. Nav. have you got & why?

Post by Rambler358 »

David. wrote:If you didn't have a BMW bike, would you fit a BMW sat. nav. or an alternative such as Garmin or TomTom.
I’d go with the Garmin XT.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Rambler358 wrote:I’d go with the Garmin XT.
Why, have you got one, seen or had any experience of the Garmin XT. I was recently out with a guy on a Triumph Explorer who switched from a 660 to the XT. Didn't have time to look at it in detail but the cradle/mount is different. One reason for looking at BMW Nav.'s is, if power is available the cradle/mount would not need changing. This may be a bit short sighted and remaining with Garmin vs BMW could be the better option for me. The BMW units (made by Garmin) seem built around integration with the bike and able to display certain info. not available from a 2012 Camhead or a 1980 Yamaha XJ650.
Last edited by David. on Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve398
Bike Model and Year: R1200RTLC, 2018
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 230 times
Isle of Wight

Post by Steve398 »

I've used Tomtom since they first came out with a Rider 1 version for bikes and have incrementally moved up into the 400 series. Totally waterproof, easy to use and logical in their set up. However it was fitted and hard wired to the Honda ST13 that I part-exed with my current 1200RT LC, so I now have a Nav 5.

I appreciate that it's not a Tomtom, and that I've got to learn how to use it but it seems so basic, slow, and clunky. The voice is muffled, it refuses to pair with my phone and I'm convinced that it's going to fall out of the dash one day. Very unimpressed so far, I just hope that will improve as I get used to it.
Arek
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by Arek »

I have Nav VI. It came as an add on to my bike. Can't complain. Do the job, no problems. Base Camp isn't the greatest software but can be used, and do the job well.
Also I have TomTom 550 which I used on my previous bike. Currently on my wife's bike. I had a bit of problems with TT. Pairing and voice commands to my old BT headset (Interphone Tour) very often dropped. Now I switched to Cardo Pactalk, but also I switched nav to BMW one. So can't compare if there is improvement on TomTom.
Old-Git

Post by Old-Git »

I had a tomtom rider a few years ago. I left it in the panniers of my multistrada during a motogp in spain, after that the screen started to peel off. Tomtom wanted 120 quid to fix it. So I bought some then strips of double sided tape to repair it myself. All was going well until final reassembly when I dropped one of the parts and broke the ribbon cable connecting screen to main board....Nav6 now, love the integration into the bike.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Have had a 660, then updated to a Nav V, now on a Nav VI. Had an issue with the VI, but Garmin did a swap with a contribution to them. The Nav has been fine and does exactly what it is supposed to. I never go near Basecamp and use MRA for all my route planning. Have only ever had Tom Tom in hire cars and never really got on with them. Think you are either a Garmin or a Tom Tom person.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi

Tom tom rider 550.  Always used TT  first version I had was on an IPAQ PDA , Rider 1  rider 2  Rider 5 then the 550 latter courtesy of TomTom.
I mount the device in the same place as you would a Garmin ( just removed the Garmin mount and used the same locating holes)
use myrouteapp to plan and share routes. Also it has an export function that transferrers them directly to the tomtom.
The sat nag connects to my phone and helmet no problem it does not play music but thats not an issue for me

I have plenty of mates who use the Garmin navs  and they have only one complaint.  If they deviate from the route it is very difficult to  move the nav on whereas with the Tom tom it will recalculate the route to the next marker. 

Which ever you use its a dam site safer that trying to read directions from a piece of paper stuck to your tank.

Downloaded a free Android navigation app OsmAnd it seams to do everything I need including pre planned routes.  Only used it in the car so far as a test but plan to try it out on the bike soon. Dont intend it to replace my SatNav  but for those tight wads who ask me if there is not something free they can use for planned route, I may point them in that direction.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

exportman wrote:I have plenty of mates who use the Garmin navs and they have only one complaint. If they deviate from the route it is very difficult to move the nav on whereas with the TomTom it will recalculate the route to the next marker.
The Garmin Zumo 660 has an Auto Recalculation Mode which can be switched Off or Prompted. Which Garmin Nav.'s are your mates using.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Exportman if you are after phone apps and used to TomTom Rider then TomTom Go app is good. I'm on IOS but I believe its available on Android. The forum mentions that the next update version 2.6 on IOS will finally bring route saving and sync to IOS app. Maybe Android too. Then it makes it more useful for me. Another great biking navigation app is Scenic 2 shortly to have a major update to Scenic 3. Unfortunately its only on IOS. Scenic is probably the best app for planning routes, so easy, a really well thought out interface. Save routes, import and export GPX files, save favourites in folders and much more. A great app.
burridge01
Bike Model and Year: Modified "16" R1200RT
Been liked: 192 times
Great Britain

Post by burridge01 »

Levisp wrote: TomTom 550 for me. Plan routes using TomTom Mydrive on my MacBook or iPhone. Favourite places and routes are then synced via WiFi to SatNav. TomTom 550 has built in WiFi for these syncs and map updates. No need to use cables. This means that you can plan a route on any computer connected to the nerd and then send that to your SatNav. This is useful when touring. However though navigation and traffic are good the SatNav is not perfect. The main element missing is there is not media player. No music. MyDrive on the computer can except GPX imports pity the iPhone version cannot. Much cheaper than BMW SatNav and having used both think TomTom is just as good if not a little better.
What Levisp said,although the music bit doesn't bother me in the slightest. I found the "plan a thrill" app on the Tomtom was brilliant on sunday,definitely use that more often.
Last edited by burridge01 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 98 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

Nav 6 on my GS because it integrates with Nav Preparation on the bike, I also use it on my RT in a BMW cradle but it doesn't function as well. I don't think I'd bother with a top notch sat nav for a basic low spec bike like yours, especially if you're using outdated routing software like Basecamp. ;-)

I also have a Tomtom rider 450 on my Triumph which connects well with phone & headset and does all the usual stuff, if I didn't have the Nav Prep on the GS I'd have just stuck with this and bought extra mounts.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
bicyclenut
Bike Model and Year: 2010 R1200RT
United States of America

Post by bicyclenut »

I have a BMW NAV V and a Gamin Zumo XT.
For local rides I use WAZE on my phone and the NAV V above dash as an electronic speedo and overview map.

For longer planned rides with Basecamp I use the Zumo XT for routing. The XT screen is the best I have used and seen of all Zumo units and BMW units. It is also faster and has more integrated apps and phone connected features.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

bicyclenut wrote:I have a BMW NAV V and a Gamin Zumo XT.
Great, a comparison between a BMW Nav. V vs Garmin Zumo XT used on a Camhead RT which is probably just what I'm looking for.

I've got the BMW bracket above the dash with a Garmin Zumo 660 cradle/mount bolted to the 4 hole clamp around the bracket. The leads for power and coms. go to the rear of the bike and voice prompts are received via an Autocom to in helmet speakers.

How have you got the XT mounted on the bike, is it powered from the supply at the headstock area and do you use Bluetooth for voice prompts etc.

Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Levisp wrote: Exportman if you are after phone apps and used to TomTom Rider then TomTom Go app is good. .

No  I am a IAM and Bikesafe Observer.  I often get asked about  Stat Nav software and everyone wants it free so I was looking for something that filled that brief. OsmAnd seems to be useable and allows the import of pre planned routes.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

bicyclenut wrote:For longer planned rides with Basecamp I use the Zumo XT for routing.
BaseCamp is good for me too, I have no problems using it then transfer the bespoke route to the Zumo 660. If I get a new sat. nav., I'd like to continue using BC for route planning.