Looking at an Iconic

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
VRT
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LC
Great Britain

Looking at an Iconic

Post by VRT »

Hi

New here, have had an 1100GS for 23 years, looking at 2016 Iconic with 34k on at £9.7k from a dealer with 2 years BMW cover

Some corrosion on front plate, hope this can be replaced under that cover

Anything I should look for

Does a Garmin 660 and the BMW wheel work together?

Is the audio worth having?

Finding the GS top heavy when 2 up and loaded, can get my feet flat on the floor when the RT is on its centre stand!!!!!

Last time rode an RT LC in 16, but due to circumstances didn’t change, ready to do so now

Thanks

Gary
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Looking at an Iconic

Post by Casbar »

Nice colour. There is an Iconic Facebook group as well. On the audio front, it depends what you want, i had audio on my 2014 bike and never used it, but that is a personal thing.

Things to look out for, make sure the exhaust flap is functioning, its a £1200 repair if it isn't so I would check the warranty covers this as the extended BMW Insured warranty doesn't. There are plenty of discussions on here if you search about the exhaust flap issues.

If there is any corrosion, I would defiantly have any corrosion seen too, if they refuse, buy another bike, there are plenty around without corrosion. Also the Iconic is a nice paint job with a few extras, but it isn't a factory painted option, they were all painted in the UK by 8 Ball, so although really nice, it is not a BMW global limited edition.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

VRT wrote:Some corrosion on front plate, hope this can be replaced under that cover.
FYI, because of corrosion, due to not having a fender extender fitted from new, I had the front engine cover replaced on a 2012 Camhead. In 2014, the used bike was over 2 years old, therefore, outside of the manufacturer's new bike warranty, it was sold with a 1 year used bike warranty. In 2015 I raised this matter with a local dealer, not the one I had purchased the bike from. The result was that BMW replaced the engine cover under their "Goodwill" policy. I believe that such claims are now more difficult to achieve.

The Iconic is now 5 years old, perhaps it might be worth negotiating with the dealer prior to purchase. If successful and the bike hasn't already got a fender extender fitted, having one will save the replacement engine cover.
VRT wrote:Does a Garmin 660 and the BMW wheel work together.
Don't think so.
Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I had a 660 originally on my 2014 before moving to a Nav V, then Nav VI. I don't remember the wonder wheel doing anything with the 660, but to be honest, the wonder wheel doesn't do much with the Nav VI, it doesn't do as much as it does on the GS. Think on my 1250 it zooms the Nav, but not a lot else :)
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Casbar wrote: I don't remember the wonder wheel doing anything with the 660

+1. It definitely does not work.

Fabulous colour for the Iconic.
John Bentall
VRT
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT LC
Great Britain

Post by VRT »

Many thanks for all your replies
Wasn’t really bothered with the audio have Cardo intercom, and a 660 so can listen to music radio now

Will maybe look at a newer LE

It’s an early retirement present, almost gave biking up, but first ride in 18 months, changed all that, once a biker always a biker, if a bit fatter now!!!