Returning to the fold?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Beemer4Two

Returning to the fold?

Post by Beemer4Two »

Looking to purchase a 12 month old R1250RT LE MY2020 from a dealership following a few years riding a Tiger 800 XRT.

Previously owned K75LT, 2 x R1100RT's and finally a K1200LT SE. Due to lockdown restrictions have so far only been able to view the bike, sit on it and start it up, but hope to be enjoying a test ride on Tuesday (13th!).

Always loved our previous Beemers and toured all over the UK and Europe on them so hopefully the R1250RT will live up to expectations. Reasons for moving back to a Beemer is that Mrs Pillion is finding the XRT a bit too uncomfortable on longer journeys so it's back to the plushness of BMW seating, hopefully!

Looking forward to exploring the highways and byways now that Unser Anfürer Boris has granted us leave of absence from our homes as well as exploring the information on this forum, technology has moved on a bit since our K1200 days!
Technology. Life was so much simpler before the invention of the wheel!
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Re: Returning to the fold?

Post by BoB21 »

welcome and enjoy
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Since comfort is so subjective, you will taking your better half on the test ride. If the RT is not comfortable, you should also try a GS.

After the 380-odd kg of the K1200LT, the RT should be easy to ride at under just under 290kg including extras..
John Bentall
Beemer4Two

Post by Beemer4Two »

beemerboy9 wrote: Since comfort is so subjective, you will taking your better half on the test ride.

Absolutely!  :alas:

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sat on a GSA today with a low seat and at 5ft 8, I could flat foot it. He he, quite liked it, may have to have a test ride next week  8)
Talisker
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT LE 2020
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by Talisker »

Always loved our previous Beemers and toured all over the UK and Europe on them so hopefully the R1250RT will live up to expectations. Reasons for moving back to a Beemer is that Mrs Pillion is finding the XRT a bit too uncomfortable on longer journeys so it's back to the plushness of BMW seating, hopefully!

The comfort and therefore, happiness, of my pillion is also a high priority.  I have a 2020 1250 RT.  While the front seat appears to be 'bedding in' well (>150 miles before it gets uncomfortable) my passenger has not enjoyed the same level of comfort.  I have invested in, and can strongly recommend, an air hawk cushion for your passenger.  I have also fitted Iliumworks footboards for the rear, also recommended for passenger comfort/endurance.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Just don't promise her the comfort of the old LT. They really do set the standard, especially for the passenger. Five hundred mile days where never a problem.
Beemer4Two

Post by Beemer4Two »

Well, the test ride has come and gone and things didn't go quite as planned. Although Mrs Pillion was quite comfortable on the test ride I found the knee angle too acute for me. It was strange really as I don't remember the knee angle being so acute on any of our previous Beemers but after an hours test ride I certainly knew I had been on a bike. One other observation was that whilst riding the knees felt bent yet I was on the balls of my feet when we came to a halt plus the foot pegs were in the wrong place and were resting uncomfortably against the insides on my ankles, so the bike felt very unwieldy. Moving my feet forwards or backwards to avoid the foot pegs didn't help the stability either.

Fortunately we had arranged to have a back-to-back test ride on a GS and this turned out to be the complete opposite to the RT. Firstly the knee angle was much less acute so it felt more comfortable for a long distance ride whilst I could flat foot the bike when we came to a halt with no problem. So the GS was far more comfortable than either of us expected it to be.

So what is it that gives the RT an unexpectedly less comfortable riding position with a tippy toe stance whilst the taller GS is much a more comfortable riding position whilst it can be flat footed without effort?

Needless to say, and regrettably for our RT ownership and this forum, we bought a GS. The dealership had two 1 year old Exclusive TE models for sale with 7 and 8 miles respectively on the clock at a heavily discounted price. One was sold whilst we were thinking about it so we jumped on the 2nd one pretty smartish.

I would be interested to know what other RT owners think about the riding position especially if they have also ridden (or own) a GS.
wethead

Post by wethead »

Ha! great thread...

I am a returnee also. I spent a comfortable year on a 2019 Wing and I am returning to a fun-loving 2021 RT
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
ds99

Post by ds99 »

i am 5 foot 11 inches, with a 31 inch inside leg. i also find the RT (2007 model) a bit too cramped for my knees on long rides. i made this a bit easier by putting the seat one notch higher, and sitting a little further back on the seat. but i still would prefer the 'angle' of my knees to be larger. i don't find there any issue "flat-footing" the bike when stationary. its a lot easier to ride/move around at dead slow speeds as the weight is a lot lower than on "adventure" bikes

i have never ridden a GS for any length of time, but I have owned other "upright" adventure bikes (transalp, tiger 955i), they do solve the "knee" issue, but... i found they suffer from wind buffeting issues and more weight was on my arse, hence that was uncomfortable for long days

although i still think the RT is the best bike for long rides (due to weather protection, overall general comfort etc), but it might not best for you if you have long legs

as always, try one out and see how you feel. every person is different
Nanosour

Post by Nanosour »

wethead wrote: Ha! great thread...

I am a returnee also. I spent a comfortable year on a 2019 Wing and I am returning to a fun-loving 2021 RT

Wow...that was short lived