LOW VOLTAGE ON FUEL PUMP CONTROL UNIT

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
PeteJLbeemer
Gibraltar

LOW VOLTAGE ON FUEL PUMP CONTROL UNIT

Post by PeteJLbeemer »

Can anyone help,  the fuel pump stopped working and as a few people suggested replacing it as they are know for failing after a few years. Anyway with a new ( none original) pump on it still didn't work.
After a test with the meter found that only 3.5 volts are getting to the fuel pump control unit ( regulator) that is mounted on top of the pump/filter assembly. And the power reaching the pump is a poor 1.2 volts and strangely on both sides ( pos/neg Black/ red.
I've only got a rubbish manual on cd and not sure if there is a relay further up the line that could be to blame??
It's a 1200rt 2005 with 50,000 miles
Any help would be much appreciated

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: LOW VOLTAGE ON FUEL PUMP CONTROL UNIT

Post by David. »

The Haynes Manual wiring diagram only shows the power supply to the fuel pump coming directly from the ECU. The -ve seems to come from the battery, might be worth checking that the earth is good.
Blackrat
Great Britain

Post by Blackrat »

Fuel pump relay is a known issue, mine failed on my 2006 RT a few years back. To confirm it was the problem I put 12v straight onto the pump and the bike sprang into life. Early relays were silver, later modified ones are black.

Gary
PeteJLbeemer
Gibraltar

Post by PeteJLbeemer »

David. wrote: The Haynes Manual wiring diagram only shows the power supply to the fuel pump coming directly from the ECU. The -ve seems to come from the battery, might be worth checking that the earth is good.

OK thanks for the reply,  I hope its not the main ECU,  could be expensive.  The earth seems ok.
PeteJLbeemer
Gibraltar

Post by PeteJLbeemer »

Blackrat wrote: Fuel pump relay is a known issue, mine failed on my 2006 RT a few years back. To confirm it was the problem I put 12v straight onto the pump and the bike sprang into life. Early relays were silver, later modified ones are black.

Yes I agree that the pump relay could be at fault but I still need to find out why it's only being supplied with 3.5 volts, so might have a problem with the main ECU ( if that's where is it's fed from)  Probably nothing to do with what's happened but only a few minutes before I hit a massive pot hole in the road, not sure if any control unit would have been damaged from the shock.

Gary
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is the voltage at the fuel pump being measured whilst the engine is being cranked to start. I have read elsewhere that 12v is not present unless this is the case.

I have no experience of this problem myself, just did a "Google" search.

From BMWLT, https://www.bmwlt.com/threads/r1200rt-f ... se.183241/
Last edited by David. on Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteJLbeemer
Gibraltar

Post by PeteJLbeemer »

Hi David,  Well spotted and it might be the case,  Saturday the tools come out again so will check the voltage again while cranking the engine over.

Thnx