How to tell if you need new shocks

Technical aspects and performance of the BMW R1200RT/1250 RT
Mrussell16

How to tell if you need new shocks

Post by Mrussell16 »

Hello all. I am a new member who just purchased my first BMW motorcycle. I bought a fixer upper that has been crashed (mostly fairing damage). The motorcycle is a 2005 R1200RT with ESA, and around 50000km. When I push down on the motorcycle it moves a lot (seems soft) up and down. I came from a 2004 ZG1000 (gtr1000). Are the bmw's suspension normally more bouncy (soft)? Is there a good way to check the shock condition? Thank you for all future replies
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: How to tell if you need new shocks

Post by jackronner »

I assume you've checked which setting the ESA is on and/or if it is functioning.  The "Comfort" setting would give you the softest setting.  Cycling through the three ESA settings should provide noticeably different and gradually stiffer response if the system is working.
Mrussell16

Post by Mrussell16 »

I played around with it while running. No noticeable change in sport/normal/comfort, or solo/solo with bags/two up. I looked at the suspension and found that they have been replaced with HyperPro units. Do the front forks do anything, or are they just to attach the front wheel?
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mrussell16 wrote:Do the front forks do anything, or are they just to attach the front wheel?
Telelever, https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/exper ... lever.html