U.K. Roads, "The Sorry State Of"

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

U.K. Roads, "The Sorry State Of"

Post by Our Gee »

As Motorcyclists we all appreciate a nice smooth road surface where our pride and joy can be rode and appreciated as intended without the constant worry of a spill caused by poorly built and maintained roads. Unfortunately here in the U.K. the quality of our roads is in a steady decline with more and more examples of what the Media and in fact the general public refer to as "Potholes". In fact this description is misleading as we all know that a Pothole is a natural geographic feature and not a "defect" which is usually present because of the poor quality, specification and quality control of the original surfacing. Whilst there is little chance of our roads ever being brought up to French and Spanish standards we can all do our part by reporting dangerous road surface "Defects". This can very easily be done by visiting www.fillthathole.org.uk
After a ride out just yesterday I myself did just that and reported a serious road defect on the A169 Whitby to Pickering road. This road is very popular with Motorcyclists and the cluster of deep holes on the Southbound hairpin bend at the foot of Saltergate Bank near The Hole of Horcum are lethal.
Please lets all do our part and report dangerous road defects.
Thanks.
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Re: U.K. Roads, "The Sorry State Of"

Post by jackronner »

Similar problems in the US, primarily with secondary or local roads.  I put much of it down to the combines they use, where they grind off the tarmac layer and then lay down a very thin layer of new tarmac over a concrete (?) base.  A couple of years later you see them peeling like an onion, leaving sharper edges than the old potholes.  I've wondered if bicyclists, especially, should start spraying symbols in advance of bad potholes in blind curves.  I had an old gentleman die outside my house from a pothole I'd reported months earlier.
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

It's evident in the UK that those responsible for road maintenance do not ride a motorcycle, otherwise the roads would be in a far better state than they are!
Sharkfighter
Bike Model and Year: 2013 1200RT
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sharkfighter »

Interesting article regarding councils legal duty in relation to potholes in the UK after the Court of Appeal made a judgement. https://www.tayloremmet.co.uk/blog/word ... -barnsley/
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This was highlighted in 2010 by a group of Teesside motorcyclists, the article was published in a local evening newspaper.
PatM

Post by PatM »

There's an old joke that's been going on for years, in the UK, you ride on the left, we, in Canada, ride on what's left.

Ride safe!
ds99

Post by ds99 »

the state of uk roads is shocking, every year i roll off the ferry from spain and i am immediately struck by how shit the uk is for riding motorcycles. the roads are is a terrible state, roadworks everywhere, the roads are rammed. why anyone rides for pleasure in the uk is a mystery to me