Any teething problems on the early camheads?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jackronner
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
United States of America

Any teething problems on the early camheads?

Post by jackronner »

I'm thinking about buying another 1200RT in France to leave with a friend there for annual European tours.  I automatically thought of a hex-head as I've had a 2005 and 2009, but I wondered about a 2010 or 2011 at a similar price.  Any thoughts on the early camheads in terms of the aforementoned teething issues? Or on any differences for better or worse, e.g., relative power and handling?  Was ABS or traction control a standard item on the camheads?  I considered smaller bikes and other brands, but I know I'll be grumbling that they don't match up with my beloved RT's.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Any teething problems on the early camheads?

Post by David. »

Having changed from a 2007 Hexhead to a 2010 Camhead and now got a 2012 Camhead, I'd comment as follows. I don't recall having any teething problems with the first 2010 model. The power is probably not hugely different but IMO, the Camhead engine is "crisper" than the Hexhead. (I prefer the Camhead valve clearance adjustment method of shims rather than screwed adjusters & locknuts). Handling is likely to be the same or very similar, didn't think there was any chassis or suspension changes between the models. My Camhead is an SE model and ABS is standard, traction control isn't, I believe that was an option.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: Any teething problems on the early camheads?

Post by Our Gee »

The very early Camheads had the Hexhead style forks so if appearance is important that may be something to be aware of.